Jordan Poyer Named AFC Defensive Player of the Month for December

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

The NFL has named Bills safety Jordan Poyer as its AFC defensive player of the month for December. Poyer had three interceptions in December and finished as the only player in the NFL with five interceptions and two sacks this season. He joins Bills safety Micah Hyde in earning AFC defensive player of the month honors this season.

Kudos to the front office for this excellent FA acquisition.  These are the kind of FA moves that really improve a team (Poyer, Hyde).  Signing 4th string guys and camp fodder is necessary, but usually doesn't improve the team and the big time FA investments (see Mario Williams) usually leave you in salary cap hell.  Let's hope to see more of these kinds of effective signings in the offseason, plus a good draft with all of the capital we have.  These supplements to a solid team with a winning record and a playoff appearance bodes well for the future.

As a side note, if Benjamin can get healthy for next year and Gaines re-signs and can get/stay healthy, these acquisitions will also reflect very well on the front office.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

This team wouldn't have made the playoffs this year, let alone be competitive without the revamped secondary.

And if White doesn't win the defensive rookie of the year award something is wrong given he is PFF's top graded rookie, not just defensively but overall.

There is no shame in losing the DROY award to Lattimore, who is a generational player at the position that allows so much scheme flexibility for his DC.

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There is no shame in losing the DROY award to Lattimore, who is a generational player at the position that allows so much scheme flexibility for his DC.

While I agree in theory, White single handedly won games for the Bills this year.

Lattimore made a major impact for the Saints defensively but they won games this year primarily with their offense which has always been the case, only difference is instead of Brees having to put up 300+ yards every game they did it with a very dynamic rushing offense.

3 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

While I agree in theory, White single handedly won games for the Bills this year.

Lattimore made a major impact for the Saints defensively but they won games this year primarily with their offense which has always been the case, only difference is instead of Brees having to put up 300+ yards every game they did it with a very dynamic rushing offense.

this really isn't very accurate. the saints always have an offense as you stated but they don't win a significant amount of games in the years their defense has been awful. its when the defense shows up in any sort of way that brees is in championship contention. saints had the 10th scoring defense this year and 17th overall in yds. HUGE jumps in both categories from previous years. Lattimore is direct contributor there.

while there is a very good argument for white, Lattimore basically played 4 less games and his raw numbers stack up with whites 16 game season. Lattimore will probably win it and he'll deserve it.

1 hour ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Bills players never win Rookie of the year just look at the Alonso & Byrd snubs.

Yes. If White got snubbed from the pro bowl, I highly doubt he'll edge out Lattimore for DROY. Lattimore made the pro bowl. Unfortunately the Bills will have to become more of a nationally recognized team before players will get the recognition they deserve.

Hopefully the Bills continue to make the playoffs and even win some playoff games. That will do more than anything to help the players get recognized.

Very deserving for Jordan Poyer.

I'm amazed at how great this new secondary has played for us all season.

I'll admit that I was not that thrilled when the Bills signed Poyer. What an impact he has had on the team, and what a Safety duo we have with Poyer & Micah Hyde.

We have to re-sign E.J. Gaines, despite him being injury prone. Even if it's a big contract. We really cannot afford to lose him.

White, Gaines, Hyde & Poyer are all young players. Who knows how great this secondary can be for us in the future.