The Drought Just Became An Advantage

theRalph

In the Oliver Stone film "Any Given Sunday" Coach Tony D'Amato (Al Pacino) gives a locker room speech before the Sharks' playoff game against the Dallas Knights. In that speech, he tells the team that "in any fight, it's the guy who's willing to die that's going to win that inch".

The Bills and their fans have their collective heart ripped out so many many times over the course of THE DROUGHT. So many times that it became numbing. So many times, that we all became hardened by the heartache. But year after year we were willing to take that pain again for the chance at the postseason. And if we felt that way as fans, how must guys like Kyle, Eric, Lorenzo, Ritchie and others have felt over those years? 

Now we're on the other side of the looking glass. Black is White and White is Black. And THE DROUGHT, our nemesis for a generation, has now become the Bills' sworn ally.  The achievement of breaking THE DROUGHT, after so very long, turns the weight of it into a wrecking ball, that is now being squarely aimed at the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

Not predicting anything here. But the point is, the result of Sundays wildcard game won't really matter in the larger scheme of breaking THE DROUGHT. And the Bills know this. And so do the Jaguars. That makes the Buffalo Bills a very dangerous team for their opponent this weekend and any other opponents that follow. Because when you've beaten THE DROUGHT, mere NFL opponents don't scare you too much. 

The Bills will eventually win a SB with McDermott. Then, finally, THE DROUGHT will simply become the drought.

A well written truth here. I thought the exact same thing. The way this team reacted (kyle crying etc...) shows a weight lifted of their shoulders. It bodes well for these playoffs and next year's team. The momentum and confidence level of this team are through the roof. 

9 minutes ago, theRalph said:

In the Oliver Stone film "Any Given Sunday" Coach Tony D'Amato (Al Pacino) gives a locker room speech before the Sharks' playoff game against the Dallas Knights. In that speech, he tells the team that "in any fight, it's the guy who's willing to die that's going to win that inch".

The Bills and their fans have their collective heart ripped out so many many times over the course of THE DROUGHT. So many times that it became numbing. So many times, that we all became hardened by the heartache. But year after year we were willing to take that pain again for the chance at the postseason. And if we felt that way as fans, how must guys like Kyle, Eric, Lorenzo, Ritchie and others have felt over those years? 

Now we're on the other side of the looking glass. Black is White and White is Black. And THE DROUGHT, our nemesis for a generation, has now become the Bills' sworn ally.  The achievement of breaking THE DROUGHT, after so very long, turns the weight of it into a wrecking ball, that is now being squarely aimed at the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

Not predicting anything here. But the point is, the result of Sundays wildcard game won't really matter in the larger scheme of breaking THE DROUGHT. And the Bills know this. And so do the Jaguars. That makes the Buffalo Bills a very dangerous team for their opponent this weekend and any other opponents that follow. Because when you've beaten THE DROUGHT, mere NFL opponents don't scare you too much. 

The Bills will eventually win a SB with McDermott. Then, finally, THE DROUGHT will simply become the drought.

That would be my strategy of we beat the Jags and face the Pats. We need to go all-out Animal House finale.

All along we have read here at OBD that the drought is not on the current team/coaching staff as none of them were here for its entirety.  Now the drought is on them and b/c it's over they have nothing to lose?

Also, are you assuming (OP) that the Jaguars have something to lose?  Why are the stakes any different for them?  They've been a horrible team in recent years...they are probably just glad to be in the playoffs like the Bills.

I agree that we likely do have a feeling of "nothing to lose" but I don't think it's an advantage relative to Jacksonville, or that the Drought really factors into it at all, except maybe in the minds of a few players on the Bills who have been here a long time.

A guy like Kyle Williams or Eric Wood might put tons of extra pressure on himself in this game b/c it's finally the playoff game they have dreamed of for so long.  Who knows.

Anyway, I think we have a shot at winning, assuming McCoy is healthy and plays.

The rest isn't that important.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

But JAX has this run stopper named Dareus.  He worries me.

Why? Word has it he's a fat, lazy, selfish, stupid, out-of-shape bust who is also a cancer in the locker room.

I just know a SB win is in the cards for the Bills sometime in the future..........whenever that is, i have no idea, however, my mind keeps wandering back to the fact that if the Bills of the 90's (arguably one of the best teams of all time) couldn't win a ring, then what must happen to actually have the Bills win a SB?

I know, i know..........one step at a time..........playoffs and then see where we go and what direction this team will take.

I suppose patience is in the heart of every Bills fan.

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

We win on Sunday in a low scoring game. Then we get embarrassed in New England on prime time the following weekend 

There IS no getting embarrassed anymore this season. We are playing with house money. I would be proud of this team for winning a playoff game regardless of the outcome against the Pats*. 

• Thank you (+1) 2