Free Agency-who will leave?

I know there's still some season left and a possible playoff appearance, but as a Bills fan I've become accustomed to looking forward to the offseason and old habits die hard. 

My question is, who will we retain and who should we let go after the season ends? 

A couple thoughts:

Kyles status is up in the air for next year. I know his wife wants him home, and his best years are behind him. Will we be able to convince him to return for one more or will we need 2 new DTs between free agency and the draft?

EJ Gaines, although hurt every other play, has been fantastic when on the field. I'm hoping we can retain him and just hope his injury history doesn't carry over. Even serviceable corners are not easy to come by, and he is far more than that. Let's keep him instead of creating yet another hole to fill. 

Tolbert is one I definitely think we should part ways with. Has been ineffective all season and is used far too much. Maybe a good leader, but there isn't much use for a guy who runs to the LOS and falls down. 

J Matthews was supposed to be our top receiver, and we know at this point he's been anything but. Part of that is on our QB who would rather throw to Tolbert than any wide reciever, but I haven't seen much out of him that makes me think he's worth signing long term. Look to add another WR in the higher rounds of the draft. 

Last, I put Tyrod. Assuming we draft a qb high, do we retain him to provide a more than serviceable backup should our rookie flop/get hurt/need time to develop? Or should we just cut ties altogether and hope we can land a quality vet in Cousins or Smith to work with our rookie?

Who do you guys think will be wearing a different jersey at the start of next season?

Would like to bring Matthews back for sure. Should be able to get him a little cheaper considering his down season. He hasn't had injury issues in the past and has been solid. Not sure he would want to come back if Tyrod is still here, though, because no WR on this team can expect targets with him at the helm.

Tolbert better go. Not sure what the coaches see in him on the field.

If we draft a QB, I wouldn't be against bringing Tyrod back to allow the rookie to sit and develop, maybe come in later in the season. Tyrod is a good bridge QB.

I would definitely bring back Gaines, but still look at adding depth at CB.

4 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Every WR the Bills draft will leave in FA as long as Taylor is here. Also no top tier WR's will come here from FA because Taylor has been near the bottom in passing offense since he's been here. 

lot of truth here.   changing out the QB will be important.  

4 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Every WR the Bills draft will leave in FA as long as Taylor is here. Also no top tier WR's will come here from FA because Taylor has been near the bottom in passing offense since he's been here. 

While I'm certainly no fan of Taylor, I do think Benjamin is a top tier WR.

I'd like to retain Gaines and add in a third corner either in the draft or through free agency. I do think it's Kyle's last season.  Wish him well.  Don't let tolbert go through the snack line on the way out.  I'd like to keep Matthews because I think he can be a quality receiver when healthy and with a new QB based on his play in Philly but I just don't see him wanting to resign here.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I'd like to retain Gaines and add in a third corner either in the draft or through free agency. I do think it's Kyle's last season.  Wish him well.  Don't let tolbert go through the snack line on the way out.  I'd like to keep Matthews because I think he can be a quality receiver when healthy and with a new QB based on his play in Philly but I just don't see him wanting to resign here.

Not much has been said about his relationship with the coaches behind the scenes so that will play a roll in his decision whether to sign or not as well as the $$$ of course but the QB situation is the key component for sure....And the Bills have to make an offer first.

Edited by RobH063

3 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

Not much has been said about his relationship with the coaches behind the scenes so that will play a roll in his decision whether to sign or not as well as the $$$ of course but the QB situation is the key component for sure....And the Bills have to make an offer first.

I think he's a solid player with a pass first QB but whether he wants to stick around to see if we grab one...who knows

It all depends on how much Gaines and Mathews are looking for contract wise.  Gaines will be coveted by zone coverage teams and those teams will have to evaluate contract to injury concerns, just as Bills will need to do.  I believe there will be more competition for Gaines than for Mathews.  Jones, Benjamin, Thompson (UFA), and a FA speedster next year would be a good WR group.  Then there is Wright, Henderson, Cadet, Thornton, Johnson and Brown that will be FA.  The FO will need to evaluate their skill set to what the FO sees as the future vision of the team to a monetary value compared to what they will target in FA and the Draft.  I believe Kyle will be gone, which is too bad.  

I think Kyle will be wearing a different jersey next year ... It'll be a golf shirt. He has 5 kids and his wife wants him at home. Next year the rebuild begins in earnest and I believe he has been a part of too many of those in his time here.

I doubt they'll break the bank on signing Gaines. With his injury history no one else might either. He could be back.

Matthews will test free agency, if that fails he could be back on the cheap.

Johnson and Tolbert have that Carolina connection, they'll be back.

Brown will be replaced in the draft and will probably end up reunited with Schwartz in Philadelphia.

Henderson will be out of the league and move to Colorado where he can fully treat his disease.

Cadet could be back as our #3 RB.

I want Gaines back, but not overpaying due to how fragile he has been during his career thus far. 

I would like to have Matthews back, but we are not going to offer him the money he will get elsewhere. The NFL is a business and players treat it as such. They want money. Winning somewhere is the icing on the cake. 

I wish the rest a healthy career elsewhere.