Best American City (Not NY or LA)???

Bakin

We thought hard about this a couple years ago when I was searching for a job.   When it came down to it, there aren't a ton of places we really both wanted to be, could stand the weather, had a good job market, and had top-notch school systems like we had in CT.

Potential jobs in Atlanta, Jacksonville, Indianapolis and Phoenix were all significantly less appealing than San Francisco.   Yes, the apparent civic pride in having smelly vagrants roaming the city at will continues to puzzle me, but that aside it's a great city and moreover, the surrounding areas are spectacluar and there is a ton of stuff to do.

Of course, paying $3M for a 400 sf house kinda hurts, but what are you gonna do.

Just now, JR in Pittsburgh said:

1) I would definitely say miami, but for the traffic. I don’t think I could bear the traffic out there. Would probably vote Miami as a place for a second Home.

2) why do you like LA better than San Diego? I am not a fan of LA and I love San Diego, but I will admit that I have spent more time in SD. 

I'd live in orange county, but not LA. Never been to San Diego, so can't say.

15 hours ago, westerndecline said:

This is a tough question because obviously there's going to be lots of different opinions but if I had to pick one city as I've been around much of North America my whole life I guess I'd have to pick I'm going to pick San Francisco I don't know what it is about that City I said it in another thread but it's just a very positive community and the atmosphere architecture the Golden Gate Bridge I just everything about how the city looks is extremely awesome and inspiring

It's impossible to live there now with the rent skyrocketing and it's not really what it was as far as the community 20 30 40 years ago but if I had to pick one I would say San Francisco

Honorable mention is west Virginia

One one the most beautiful down to.earth places ive been

Lived in the Bay Area of over 8 years and in SF for three.  I've never been in such a cool area that sucked to badly.  So glad I'm gone.  

17 hours ago, Bakin said:

I’ve been all over the world and lived in a few different countries (lived in LA for more than a decade but now live in Canada). 

LA is my favourite city in America by far....

but I couldn’t pick a favourite outside of it. 

And I’ve been to 43 states. 

What’s yours??

Favorite city in the USA that is not LA or NYC?

Chicago.

3 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

1) I would definitely say miami, but for the traffic. I don’t think I could bear the traffic out there. Would probably vote Miami as a place for a second Home.

2) why do you like LA better than San Diego? I am not a fan of LA and I love San Diego, but I will admit that I have spent more time in SD. 

LA is just an epic city filled with unlimited opportunity. 

Plus the weather. 

And the women. My god, the women. 

I lived there here for some time so it definitely feels like home when I go back. 

12 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

You have very lw standards!

Maybe it’s changed but we drove through Gary on the way to Chicago to get married. Thomas Dolby’s Blinded Me with Science was on the radio. We looked at each other and said “so true!” after the line “I can smell the chemicals”. 

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Outside of the politicians, Washington DC is pretty cool.

The politicians however should be moved to Flint, Michigan.

What did Flint ever do to you? Don't they have enough problems? ;)

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/27/2017 at 3:27 AM, Billsfansinceday1 said:

I lived on the Presidio of San Francisco for 10 years and San Fran is the most beautiful city in America.  My home was literally a couple hundred yards from multi-million dollar mansions.

Westerndecline is right, however.  It would be impossible to live there now with the traffic and the sky high prices.

SF bought its demise with the Willie Brown machine, and confirmed it with Gavin Newsom.  Ed Lee, Rose Pak, and 'Shrimp Boy' were just the cherry on its titanic iceberg.  It could've continued to be an innovative city, but it's just a stopover for the chophouse crowd.  I lived there quite a while, and culturally its finest remaining assets are mediocre burritos in the 'Mish' at 2am - I can't think of decent local bands since American Music Club and Deerhoof (My apologies to those who sing Journey at karaoke).  There's just an air of stupid over that town... from the 'broheims' and the well past their date hipsters, to the high-rise elder-in-training complexes in South Beach, the town is just a mess.  The last bastion is maybe the Opera.

It'll come back, because the area is just too stunning to play the fool for long, but its time is certainly not now.

I guess 'What is Best City, Bro' is such a complex question.  I like Portland, and lived here previously through what I consider its finest moments.  I've moved back 17 years later and it's being built up, but I think it's in decline from what it once was.

Is there a town with good country music left?

Edited by BringMetheHeadofLeonLett