Playoff bind is about the Bengals loss - not the Chargers!

BobChalmers

7 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

You absolutely cannot assume we would have won, but five interceptions in the first half clearly doomed our chances.

Our offense since the Chargers game has scored 6 TD’s in the last 5 games. Taylor in the last 4 games has lead us to 4 TD’s.  I think it’s safe to say the Chargers beat us pretty easily even with Taylor in there.

7 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

this is week 17.  i've heard players interviewed before, when they're not in the playoffs they are done week 17.

Just like the Jets beat us in week 17 two years ago....

Players also talk about looking good on film because they are essentially auditioning for their new coach.

7 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

When you are in the middle of a tight playoff race, you don't change qb. You give yourself a chance to win. Tyrod has beaten the falcons, chiefs, and other decent teams this year.

I am not one to say we would have one, but stop making excuses for baldy.

We scored a grand total of two offensive TD’s against the Chiefs and Falcons.  I would put those two victories much more in the hands of our defense.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BillsFan1 said:

Yes,  MCDLT fumbled against the PATS too.  4th and 1.  Go.  End of story.  Coach to win - not to stay in the game.

Look at this roster.  I'm excited McD even got us into the playoff hunt.  

I'm not going  to nitpick one decision versus a season of overachieving.  

But just one more win - against anyone - would change the playoff picture dramatically.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I seem to remember AJ green torching us that game.  16 points is 16 points though.

The jets 2nd  game had some bad turnovers, and no run defense.

The run defense may be 2nd on the list to the offensive offense as for what killed the Bills this year.

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Our offense since the Chargers game has scored 6 TD’s in the last 5 games. Taylor in the last 4 games has lead us to 4 TD’s in his last 4 games.  I think it’s safe to say the Chargers beat us pretty easily even with Taylor in there.

I think that is likely, but one can't prove a counter-factual.  And I am far from an apologist for Taylor.

It is difficult to see that the Chargers' loss is the be all and end all since it was a blow out and it is hard to see how Taylor would have scored enough points, although the Bills' defense seems to just give up once it becomes clear the offense won't have enough gumption to score points.

As for the Bengals/Ravens, a Bengals win is far more likely than losses from both the Titans and Chargers. Ravens did not look good at all against the Colts and the Bengals may actually want to send out Lewis with a win. Playoffs aren't likely, but if they do get in I kind of like the odds of making it to the second round given the opposition in the wild card games.

34 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:
39 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Point to any other game you like and it's fair to look back at every loss, but the HC subjected himself to criticism when he sat his starting QB for a rookie who completely eliminated any chance of winning the game before the 1st half was over.

It was a strange decision.  Tyrod had not played well the preceding game, but NP was clearly in over his head.  I heard a rumor that Dennison was pushing for Peterman.  No idea if true, but I have little confidence this crew knows what it is doing, especially with regards to the offensive side of the ball.  I hope we have a new O-line coach and OC and qb . . . and a RT since DD will probably be playing LT and a real #2 rb . . . etc., etc.

To reiterate.  

Let’s point to the one game McDermott felt he needed a change because of the 3 stinkers prior and not the stinkers themselves!!!!

golf clap ? 

We got Nate the terrible because of Tyrod the terrible!

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

To reiterate.  

Let’s point to the one game McDermott felt he needed a change because of 3 stickers prior and not the stinkers themselves!!!!

Fine.  I am not a defender of Taylor, nor do I think the season comes down to the Chargers game.  If you are truly a good team, you aren't in a position where a single game determines your destiny.  As is, we were lucky to win a number of games (Atlanta, for instance, lost Julio Jones for the second half and Ryan was inconsistent, playcalling rather dumb for the Falcons at the end.)  Imo, we're not a very good team and are fortunate to be even in the hunt.  We would be even more fortunate if we had a terrible record and a shot at Darnold or Rosen.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

No doubt in my mind that the 1 loss falls in Week 2 vs Carolina. The other losses, we deserved to lose. The Carolina loss was because the coaches tried to make Tyrod something he is not and forced a bad game on him. Panthers did not beat the Bills that day, the coaching staff did. Just an ounce of intelligence gets us that Win.

The Bengals game we didn't at all deserve to lose. Everything went our way that game. We deserved to win but could not capitalize. One could argue that means we deserve to lose, but we were clearly the better team. I guess Tyrod was saving his skills for the Chargers game he never got to play.

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

The Bengals game we didn't at all deserve to lose. Everything went our way that game. We deserved to win but could not capitalize. One could argue that means we deserve to lose, but we were clearly the better team. I guess Tyrod was saving his skills for the Chargers game he never got to play.

Fuzzy recollection 

3 turnovers and what 3 points from them?

defense did it’s part. 

Beyond the Tyrod noise - my bigger point was that the Bengals game was our common game with the Ravens.

When (If) the Ravens sweep the Bengals, they will have established they are more deserving than the Bills who couldn't get it done against the same bad team.

Now if you want to go revisit the Bengals game, which the Bills lost despite the defense forcing 3 Bengals turnovers b/c the offense was basically trash...

33 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Fuzzy recollection 

3 turnovers and what 3 points from them?

defense did it’s part. 

Its fuzzy, so I looked at it briefly then gave up. I saw a TD on a short field gifted from our defense but otherwise the standard punt, punt, punt.

Edited by What a Tuel

6 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Beyond the Tyrod noise - my bigger point was that the Bengals game was our common game with the Ravens.

When (If) the Ravens sweep the Bengals, they will have established they are more deserving than the Bills who couldn't get it done against the same bad team.

Now if you want to go revisit the Bengals game, which the Bills lost despite the defense forcing 3 Bengals turnovers b/c the offense was basically trash...

Our offense has been trash all year.  I think we’ve scored 28 TD’s all season...28.

That’s less than 2 a game.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Our offense since the Chargers game has scored 6 TD’s in the last 5 games. Taylor in the last 4 games has lead us to 4 TD’s in his last 4 games.  I think it’s safe to say the Chargers beat us pretty easily even with Taylor in there.

Just like the Jets beat us in week 17 two years ago....

Players also talk about looking good on film because they are essentially auditioning for their new coach.

We scored a grand total of two offensive TD’s against the Chiefs and Falcons.  I would put those two victories much more in the hands of our defense.  

And both of them were passing TDs. How many did Peterbum have against LA?

23 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

And both of them were passing TDs. How many did Peterbum have against LA?

Yet again the result isn't the point. The point is that Tyrod deserved to be benched based on his performance. Yes, Peterman did worse than expected, but that does not change the fact that Tyrod deserved to be benched.

There are any number of games this season where having a competent QB would have turned a loss into a win.

Every time I watch a good team this time of year with competent QB play, it becomes quickly obvious how handicapped we are as a team.

If we can achieve 8-8 or 9--7 operating without a passing attack most of the time, imagine how quickly we can turn into a playoff contender with a real QB!

The future looks bright.