Comprehensive "Tyrod Taylor is Bad" Thread (VERY Comprehensive)

BigDingus

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If McDermott brings in utter garbage like Matt's Cassell or Schaub to start/mentor the 3rd or 4th best QB prospect in the draft...........start vetting offensive minded HC candidates for McD's replacment because the process will turn from Jauron Ball into the most boring tank team ever.:lol:

Josh McCown's health was an aberration this year........he's been solid when healthy for the past few years but 39 years old in 2018 and broken down.

Alex Smith is a lateral move from Tyrod,  doesn't appear to be at the point in his career where he is interested in mentoring a successor and will cost you a healthy contract in addition to eating Tyrod's dead money AND also cost you draft capital.

They are in yet another really precarious position wrt QB options going into this offseason which makes the "anyone but Tyrod" movement even more laughable.    Not exactly a destination gig being the QB in Buffalo.   Hell McCown might even turn them down AGAIN.......that's how they got Tyrod in the first place.

Those guys aren't who I'd want on the field, but with a clipboard and a presence in the QB meeting rooms. I'd take them every single day of the week over Tyrod in mentoring a rookie QB, just based on Tyrod doesn't do the things we want to be taught. When to throw it away, reading a defense pre-snap etc. Tyrod isn't good at these things at all.

17 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

This feels a lot like a misrepresentation to me.

Eagles - Traded up to #2 overall and still kept their vet (Bradford) until the Vikings offered a deal they couldn't refuse.

Rams - Traded up to #1 overall and still kept Keenum and sat their rookie until week 11. Only QB departure was Foles.

Seahawks - Hasselbeck was let go in 2010, 2 years before they drafted Wilson. They had Jackson on an existing contract and signed Matt Flynn before the draft. Nobody was jettisoned until Wilson clearly won the job through camp.

Raiders - Who was jettisoned here? Pryor (now a WR), Flynn (yes, same one from Seattle), or McGloin?

Bucs - #1 overal pick at QB. They kept Glennon as a backup because he was still on his rookie deal. Nobody was jettisoned here...

Titans - #2 overall pick at QB. Who was jettisoned here? Jake Locker retired and Mettenberger was kept on the roster when Mariota was drafted. Charlie Whitehurst?

Oh, so the Bradford trade is a "deal they couldn't refuse" but cutting TT and using his money for a starting high quality OL isn't?  Sounds like you're picking and choosing what's justifiable. 

Rams jettisoned Keenum the next offseason, where Goff had not proven to be superior.

Seahawks lost Hasselbeck in the offseason before 2011, 1 year before they drafted Wilson.  Ya'll would have said "Pay Hasselbeck just in case we don't find a QB who is better!!!!"  They got the ring.

Raiders had Pryor play in 11 games in 2013.  They let go of him before they drafted Carr.  Shouldn't scaredy cat Bills logic say they should've hung on to him just in case Carr wasn't an upgrade?

Bucs had McCown start 11 games in 2014, then launched him in the same offseason they got Winston.  Shouldn't they have hung onto him just in case Winston was "the next Jamarcus Russell?"

Titans, I forgot that Metteberger was there in 15.  Fair enough.

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

etc etc includes Jets, Cleveland And Chicago too. Don’t forget them. 

So what REALLY matters is how good the QB you draft is.  Exactly.

Worrying we're gonna take a step back from Taylor is like worrying our first round pick will bust.  It's a risk you have to take.  You take your shot, or you never get there.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/24/2017 at 8:58 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Excellent post. Tt supporters will be mad.

All 12 of them.... tie Tyrod just doesn't pass the eye test. He doesn't have the "it" Factor. He has poor field vision. Mediocre and inconsistent accuracy. Mediocre leadership qualities (see towel over head). Crumbles in the 4th qtr. He did not generate one touchdown against a New England defense that realistically is not that dominant. The Tyrod Taylor posts need to end. The Tyrod Taylor era needs to end, and it doesn't take a long list of statistics to tell me that.  sometimes it just boils down to common sense.

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Oh, so the Bradford trade is a "deal they couldn't refuse" but cutting TT and using his money for a starting high quality OL isn't?  Sounds like you're picking and choosing what's justifiable. 

You really don't see the difference between saving under $9M in cap space and trading a player for a 1st and a conditional pick that was a 2nd-4th rounder?

13 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Rams jettisoned Keenum the next offseason, where Goff had not proven to be superior.

So they kept him and sat the rookie, like I said.

14 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Seahawks lost Hasselbeck in the offseason before 2011, 1 year before they drafted Wilson.  Ya'll would have said "Pay Hasselbeck just in case we don't find a QB who is better!!!!"  They got the ring.

Again, they still had a vet on the payroll until the rookie won the starting job.

15 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Raiders had Pryor play in 11 games in 2013.  They let go of him before they drafted Carr.  Shouldn't scaredy cat Bills logic say they should've hung on to him just in case Carr wasn't an upgrade?

Are you seriously going to say Pryor was a comparable QB to Tyrod? You're better than this, I think.

18 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Bucs had McCown start 11 games in 2014, then launched him in the same offseason they got Winston.  Shouldn't they have hung onto him just in case Winston was "the next Jamarcus Russell?"

The Bucs were a 2-14 team that won 1 game with McCown at the helm. They got to pick a QB first overall. That's a completely different situation than what we have.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

You really don't see the difference between saving under $9M in cap space and trading a player for a 1st and a conditional pick that was a 2nd-4th rounder?

So they kept him and sat the rookie, like I said.

Again, they still had a vet on the payroll until the rookie won the starting job.

Are you seriously going to say Pryor was a comparable QB to Tyrod? You're better than this, I think.

The Bucs were a 2-14 team that won 1 game with McCown at the helm. They got to pick a QB first overall. That's a completely different situation than what we have.

What I'M saying is that "we shouldn't get rid of our QB until we have an upgrade," is not how it's done in the NFL.  It's just not.  QB's who aren't good enough are ALL expendable.  

15 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

What I'M saying is that "we shouldn't get rid of our QB until we have an upgrade," is not how it's done in the NFL.  It's just not.  QB's who aren't good enough are ALL expendable.  

Except it is, and basically every example you tried to give doesn't hold up for your argument. And that's before even mentioning that 4 of your 6 examples not only kept their established vets, if they had them, but also had a top 2 overall pick - which we do not at this time. If we're getting Darnold or Rosen I'm with you, but at this point in time we aren't and the team cannot operate as if we are. There will be a vet on the roster (not Peterman) before the draft ever gets here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Except it is, and basically every example you tried to give doesn't hold up for your argument. And that's before even mentioning that 4 of your 6 examples not only kept their established vets, if they had them, but also had a top 2 overall pick - which we do not at this time. If we're getting Darnold or Rosen I'm with you, but at this point in time we aren't and the team cannot operate as if we are. There will be a vet on the roster (not Peterman) before the draft ever gets here.

This is wrong, you're just being disingenuous and/or you don't understand.

Not letting TT go because you're afraid your next QB may not be an upgrade is the exact same thing as not letting McCown go because you're afraid your next QB may not be an upgrade.

Guess what?  McCown was let go.  Sorry. Thanks for playing.

Just now, jmc12290 said:

Not letting TT go because you're afraid your next QB may not be an upgrade is the exact same thing as not letting McCown go because you're afraid your next QB may not be an upgrade.

No, it isn't. An 8-7 team doesn't operate the same as a 2-14 team in regards to personnel and the assets at their disposal are generally different. When a team has a record of 1-10 in a QBs only 11 starts with them (and that QB is 17-32 over the past 9 years with 4 different teams) it is different than when a team is 22-20 with a QB that's started 42 games for them.

I can't believe I'm actually going to suggest this, but after reading all of this crap and thinking about it.... Fitzy might be the best guy to bring in here to work with both Peterman and the new kid they draft in April. He's on a 1 year deal with Tampa Bay, so won't cost anything to sign him as a FA. 

The guy definitely has the football IQ down and had a bit of "gunslinger" in him. He just didn't have all of the physical tools to successfully execute what he was seeing. 

His numbers were actually ok for a backup, 1103 yards/7TDs/3INTs/86.0 QBR and averaged 183.8 yards per game in 6 games, 3 as the starter (2-1). 

Edited by twoandfourteen
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

No, it isn't. An 8-7 team doesn't operate the same as a 2-14 team in regards to personnel and the assets at their disposal are generally different. When a team has a record of 1-10 in a QBs only 11 starts with them (and that QB is 17-32 over the past 9 years with 4 different teams) it is different than when a team is 22-20 with a QB that's started 42 games for them.

And neither of those situations are superseded by beng worried about not having an upgrade.

That's my point.

I wouldn't worry so much about Tyrod anymore guys. Benching him at the time they did is all you need to know. People can say whatever about benching him but it doesn't take the weight from it happening.

They thought Nate Peterman could be a better answer in his rookie year. It does not matter how it turned out with Nate I don't think that suddenly changed thier view on Tyrod.

Then add in that he took a pay cut to stay here I would guess this was his year to prove his worth. The benching proves he didn't prove it, at least to the guys in charge. 

I don't think it matters if you love him or hate him to understand it. You don't take a pay cut then get benched in the middle of a playoff hunt because your good enough in the eyes of the HC who benched you.

I think if Nate didn't have a disaster of a start, Tyrod wouldn't even be starting. This isn't a random feeling. The HC benched Tyrod because he wanted Nate to do better and take the job. I can't think of another reason to do it.

Tyrod was interesting. I can see why he was pulled from back up duty to start in Buffalo. You just never know until you do know. The same goes for Nate Peterman or anyone. Tyrod has flashes and it was intriguing. I would take interest in a guy that can flash excellence. 

At some point you have to see it for what it was. A guy who can definitely have moments of greatness but not frequently enough to depend on. 

So like anyone I was interested to see if those flashes transformed into frequent moments of greatness. Some team next year may have that some wonder about him and take a shot on him. I wish him the best of luck. 

So no, Tyrod doesn't just suck like people want to lazily lable him. They do have solid points when pointing out some of his negatives. I can see why people like Tyrod and it's the same reasons I did. That potential to flash. The potential to become great. 

It's been a few years and I think the experiment is over. I have no crystal ball but looking at the big picture I can see the Bills are moving on next year. I think he's had enough time to become what he was gonna become. This is how it turned out. Might be good enough to limp into the playoffs. Not good enough.

You have to score points against the Patriots. Just good enough will never take the division. The team needs some real answers to beating the Patriots and that should be the biggest concern.

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

So what REALLY matters is how good the QB you draft is.  Exactly.

Worrying we're gonna take a step back from Taylor is like worrying our first round pick will bust.  It's a risk you have to take.  You take your shot, or you never get there.

I know it’s challenging but not exactly.  What really matters is the understanding that picking QBs isn’t a science and you might hit or miss no matter how a prospect Looks. Hedging by having a floor at that position is critical to sustainable success. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I know it’s challenging but not exactly.  What really matters is the understanding that picking QBs isn’t a science and you might hit or miss no matter how a prospect Looks. Hedging by having a floor at that position is critical to sustainable success. 

If you think Taylor's floor is synonymous with "sustainable success," well....

You keep Romo or Cousins or Smith to sustain success when drafting a guy. Not Halfrod.

Edited by jmc12290
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/27/2017 at 11:56 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Well what you're arguing doesn't matter, does it? We already know we're going to replace Taylor.

Yet, as it is...

Despite missing what translates to a full NFL game, he's still responsible for 54% of the offensive snaps, 61% of the offense's total yards, 58% of the offense's total 1st downs...and 65% of the offensive TDs.

We have the 8th worst defense by yards, 3rd worst run defense, and we're 18th in points given up per game. Yes we have an opportunistic defense, but even there we're tied for 8th in takeaways.

Yet somehow, despite a 5 interception half by Not Ready Nate, we're still 6th in our turnover differential and go into week 17 with a legitimate shot at the playoffs for the first time in 12-13 years.

Yeah, sorry to inform you, but Tyrod Taylor has been an important part to this team getting to this point this year.

Maybe you weirdos will get your wish and  this next game will be the very last game that you have to root for him. Or maybe, just maybe we make it into the playoffs for the first time this millennium and you have to keep rooting for Taylor and give him just a little bit of credit. Like I said, we can start searching for our new QB as soon as the season is done, but it's not 0:)

Yeah, Tyrod has been an important part of our team this year. So has Vlad Ducasse. And Jordan Mills. So has Deonte Thompson. So has Ramon Humber and Shaq Lawson. Doesn't mean we can't hope plenty of those guys are replaced by better players as soon as possible.

So, Tyrod was responsible for 54% of the offensive snaps, you say? If I only look at passing percentage, and pretend that not a single QB in the league except Tyrod ran a single down, that would still rank Tyrod 25th or 26th in the league in that stat (the Rams threw 54.32%of the time and I don't know if Tyrod was involved in more plays than that, but in real life Goff must have run at least a play or two, as did a few other QBs). So not real impressive.

Tyrod was responsible for 61% of the offense's total yards? In what world is it impressive that a QB only does that? The best rushing team in the league this year got 2,179 run yards and only four teams managed over 2000. How does that compare to pass yards? Twenty-five QBs got more passing yards than Tyrod and 19 got more passing yards than Tyrod got pass and run yards together. So again, assuming not a single other QB got a single run yard but giving Tyrod credit for all his run yards, Tyrod is still behind guys like Mariota, Dalton, Winston, Keenum, Bortles, and plenty of others. Don't know where it would fit compared to other teams, but well below average. Again, not impressive.

Tyrod got 58% of the offense's total 1st downs? Considering we're 28th in the league in first downs, I'm not real impressed there either. Throw in his 24 running first downs and he would leap all the way up to 20th in the league, tied with Dalton, for QB first downs by pass only. And again, a few other QBs had some running first downs too, but I'm not even considering those. Not noteable.

Tyrod got 65% of the offensive TDs? If only that amounted to being, you know, good. Throw in Tyrod's four running TDs and put him on the QB list - the list of passing TDs only - and Tyrod flies all the way up from 25th to a three-way tie for 20th with McCown and Winston. Again, not impressive.

So yeah, you're right, he was a big part of the Bills offense ... being extremely unimpressive. 

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep.

The Bills offense fell off a cliff this season.. thanks to McDermott and Dennison. 

Top 7 in offensive TDs last season to what this year? Bottom 5? What changed? 

The run game got worse, that's what changed. Tyrod was still his usual somewhat below average self.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

I'm curious, but when has an NFL starter for one team for 3 consecutive years who's under 30 ever been cut without a viable replacement on the roster or in return? You say this kind of thing happens all the time so I expect finding something like this will be easy 0:)

And again, just so that you don't get confused, I am not saying that Taylor will absolutely be here next year.  However, I do think 0BD is going to have a very clear plan regarding the QB position if and when they do get rid of Taylor. And it's going to be a plan that's pretty solid. Where we are currently drafting, we can't say that we have any solid shot at any particular QB.

So, unless OBD decides and manages to trade up into the top five for a draft pick before Taylor's bonus is due, I think there is a strong likelihood that he is still on the roster all the way up through the draft and maybe beyond. 

34 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm curious, but when has an NFL starter for one team for 3 consecutive years who's under 30 ever been cut without a viable replacement on the roster or in return? You say this kind of thing happens all the time so I expect finding something like this will be easy 0:)

"Viable replacement," in the sense of someone who could take the snaps? Never. There's always at least a viable replacement, someone like McCown or Fitz or Tyrod or Foles or Osweiler or Siemian or Savage

But he didn't say a "viable replacement." He said an upgrade. And that happens all the time. JaMarcus Russell was no upgrade from McCown and Culpepper, just as one quick example. Losman wasn't an upgrade from Bledsoe for another. Happens constantly. Tampa kicked Dilfer to the curb for Shaun King. The Steelers jettisoned O'Donnell for Tomczak.

When a team has a guy who simply isn't good enough, taking a shot at replacing him is the commonest response, even if there's no obvious upgrade.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

He wasn't wrong.

I think you just need to explain yourself a little bit better.

Re McCown: No, it's not the same thing. It's not the same thing because (and this is going to upset some of you) McCown is not as good or as consistentor as consistent a QB as Taylor.

On 12/25/2017 at 2:21 PM, Spiderweb said:

It doesnt show 11th or 12th passing offenses. Those references were for overall all offenses including running. The best we have been is 28th ( clearly referenced) when only passing was considered. Suggest you read OP's post once again

Yea I very clearly !@#$ed up there. My bad

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And again, just so that you don't get confused, I am not saying that Taylor will absolutely be here next year.  However, I do think 0BD is going to have a very clear plan regarding the QB position if and when they do get rid of Taylor. And it's going to be a plan that's pretty solid. Where we are currently drafting, we can't say that we have any solid shot at any particular QB.

So, unless OBD decides and manages to trade up into the top five for a draft pick before Taylor's bonus is due, I think there is a strong likelihood that he is still on the roster all the way up through the draft and maybe beyond. 

I would say it would be idiotic to let Taylor go without a bird-in-hand.............but I can't rule it out........this is the Bills.

They once held a press conference to announce the signing of Kevin Kolb....a completely washed-out, never-was POS whose career high in passing TD's was NINE(:lol:)..........at which Kolb immediately started talking about SB.:lol:   

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Re McCown: No, it's not the same thing. It's not the same thing because (and this is going to upset some of you) McCown is not as good or as consistentor as consistent a QB as Taylor.

This is just not true. At least, statistically speaking. 

Just looking at the three years Taylor has been a starter -- McCown has put up better passing numbers, and that was while playing in the with three-ring circuses known as the Cleveland Browns & NY Jets. 

This year, JMcC has 18 TD passes in 13 games. How about Tyrod? 13 TDs in 14 games. Must be all those weapons McCown has in NY, right? 

Passing yards? JMcC's lowest yds/gm is still better than Tyrod's best. 

Oh, and McCown has more rushing TDs this year. 

21 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, Tyrod has been an important part of our team this year. So has Vlad Ducasse. And Jordan Mills. So has Deonte Thompson. So has Ramon Humber and Shaq Lawson. Doesn't mean we can't hope plenty of those guys are replaced by better players as soon as possible.

So, Tyrod was responsible for 54% of the offensive snaps, you say? If I only look at passing percentage, and pretend that not a single QB in the league except Tyrod ran a single down, that would still rank Tyrod 25th or 26th in the league in that stat (the Rams threw 54.32%of the time and I don't know if Tyrod was involved in more plays than that, but in real life Goff must have run at least a play or two, as did a few other QBs). So not real impressive.

Tyrod was responsible for 61% of the offense's total yards? In what world is it impressive that a QB only does that? The best rushing team in the league this year got 2,179 run yards and only four teams managed over 2000. How does that compare to pass yards? Twenty-five QBs got more passing yards than Tyrod and 19 got more passing yards than Tyrod got pass and run yards together. So again, assuming not a single other QB got a single run yard but giving Tyrod credit for all his run yards, Tyrod is still behind guys like Mariota, Dalton, Winston, Keenum, Bortles, and plenty of others. Don't know where it would fit compared to other teams, but well below average. Again, not impressive.

Tyrod got 58% of the offense's total 1st downs? Considering we're 28th in the league in first downs, I'm not real impressed there either. Throw in his 24 running first downs and he would leap all the way up to 20th in the league, tied with Dalton, for QB first downs by pass only. And again, a few other QBs had some running first downs too, but I'm not even considering those. Not noteable.

Tyrod got 65% of the offensive TDs? If only that amounted to being, you know, good. Throw in Tyrod's four running TDs and put him on the QB list - the list of passing TDs only - and Tyrod flies all the way up from 25th to a three-way tie for 20th with McCown and Winston. Again, not impressive.

So yeah, you're right, he was a big part of the Bills offense ... being extremely unimpressive. 

Hey Thurm, you complain about this all of the time so how about some links? :thumbsup:

Those links would be especially helpful to figure out what your stats actually include and do not include. My stats were very simple and taken directly from NFL.com and Teamrankings.com. You say yourself right here "Goff must have run a play or two, as did a few other QBs."

A player or two, huh? Yeah, 10 QBs in the NFL ran the ball 50 times or more. 19 QBs in the NFL ran the ball 30 times or more.  33 QBs in the NFL ran the ball 16 times or more. Meaning that at least 33 ran the ball at least one play.

http://pickingpros.com/nfl/quarterback-rushing-leaders.php

Did whatever numbers you included a count for sacks, as well?

I have no idea, because I don't have your link. :flirt:

6 hours ago, Lfod said:

I wouldn't worry so much about Tyrod anymore guys. Benching him at the time they did is all you need to know. People can say whatever about benching him but it doesn't take the weight from it happening.

They thought Nate Peterman could be a better answer in his rookie year. It does not matter how it turned out with Nate I don't think that suddenly changed thier view on Tyrod.

Then add in that he took a pay cut to stay here I would guess this was his year to prove his worth. The benching proves he didn't prove it, at least to the guys in charge. 

I don't think it matters if you love him or hate him to understand it. You don't take a pay cut then get benched in the middle of a playoff hunt because your good enough in the eyes of the HC who benched you.

I think if Nate didn't have a disaster of a start, Tyrod wouldn't even be starting. This isn't a random feeling. The HC benched Tyrod because he wanted Nate to do better and take the job. I can't think of another reason to do it.

Tyrod was interesting. I can see why he was pulled from back up duty to start in Buffalo. You just never know until you do know. The same goes for Nate Peterman or anyone. Tyrod has flashes and it was intriguing. I would take interest in a guy that can flash excellence. 

At some point you have to see it for what it was. A guy who can definitely have moments of greatness but not frequently enough to depend on. 

So like anyone I was interested to see if those flashes transformed into frequent moments of greatness. Some team next year may have that some wonder about him and take a shot on him. I wish him the best of luck. 

So no, Tyrod doesn't just suck like people want to lazily lable him. They do have solid points when pointing out some of his negatives. I can see why people like Tyrod and it's the same reasons I did. That potential to flash. The potential to become great. 

It's been a few years and I think the experiment is over. I have no crystal ball but looking at the big picture I can see the Bills are moving on next year. I think he's had enough time to become what he was gonna become. This is how it turned out. Might be good enough to limp into the playoffs. Not good enough.

You have to score points against the Patriots. Just good enough will never take the division. The team needs some real answers to beating the Patriots and that should be the biggest concern.

Nice post. Just about says it all.

Edited by Thurman#1

25 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Hey Thurm, you complain about this all of the time so how about some links? :thumbsup:

Those links would be especially helpful to figure out what your stats actually include and do not include. My stats were very simple and taken directly from NFL.com and Teamrankings.com. You say yourself right here "Goff must have run a play or two, as did a few other QBs."

A player or two, huh? Yeah, 10 QBs in the NFL ran the ball 50 times or more. 19 QBs in the NFL ran the ball 30 times or more.  33 QBs in the NFL ran the ball 16 times or more. Meaning that at least 33 ran the ball at least one play.

http://pickingpros.com/nfl/quarterback-rushing-leaders.php

Did whatever numbers you included a count for sacks, as well?

I have no idea, because I don't have your link. :flirt:

Please. The links are the same ones you use all the time. NFL.com stats, mainly.

But thanks for making my point for me. 10 QBs in the NFL ran the ball 50 times or more? Thanks. 19 QBs ran the ball 30 times or more? Thanks.

But what I did is take Tyrod's passing stats and throw in his running stats and put the totals against the other QBs raw passing stats, ignoring any of their run stats. And Tyrod still came out well below average. Other QBs passing stats only, compared to Tyrod's total pass and run stats. And it still came out well below average.

You tried to pretend this was impressive:

Despite missing what translates to a full NFL game, he's still responsible for 54% of the offensive snaps, 61% of the offense's total yards, 58% of the offense's total 1st downs...and 65% of the offensive TDs.

And it's really really not impressive in any way. It's not remarkable that he spent a lot of time on the field in an ineffective offense and racked up below average stats.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This kind of hypothetical is really stupid.

Really stupid :doh:

Stupid Hypotheticals???. 99% of this board is filled with stupid hypotheticals. That's the point isn't it? Hypotheticals, what ifs, who's better, who should have started, who should be fired, etc. All stated by arm chair GM's and coaches, who know little can can do nothing. But whatever, I understand that's the easy way out for Tyrod fanboys. I understand how uttering another QB's name next to Tyrods for comparison will make your Tyrod lovefest seems that much more ludicrous. 

FYI, I hope Tyrod plays fantastic on Sunday and the Ravens lose just like you so the Bills make the playoffs. 

We have the 8th worst defense by yards, 3rd worst run defense, and we're 18th in points given up per game. Yes we have an opportunistic defense, but even there we're tied for 8th in takeaways.

Yet somehow, despite a 5 interception half by Not Ready Nate, we're still 6th in our turnover differential and go into week 17 with a legitimate shot at the playoffs for the first time in 12-13 years.

"We have the 8th worst defense by yards"? Wow, that's bad! 

If only the offense weren't even worse. 4th worst by yards.

"We're 18th in points given up per game"? Holy cow!

If only the offense weren't even worse. 24th in points. And that's with the defense and STs tied for 10th in non-offensive scoring, and with the offense getting better field position than the D ... the offense got the 18th best average drive start in terms of field position while leaving the defense the 28th best average drive start.

The defense helped the offense quite a bit more than the offense helped the defense. The side more responsible for any success we've had this year is the defense.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Please. The links are the same ones you use all the time. NFL.com stats, mainly.

But thanks for making my point for me. 10 QBs in the NFL ran the ball 50 times or more? Thanks. 19 QBs ran the ball 30 times or more? Thanks.

But what I did is take Tyrod's passing stats and throw in his running stats and put the totals against the other QBs raw passing stats, ignoring any of their run stats. And Tyrod still came out well below average. Other QBs passing stats only, compared to Tyrod's total pass and run stats. And it still came out well below average.

You tried to pretend this was impressive:

You're being evasive.

I accounted for pass attempts, rushes AND sacks for Taylor in terms of offensive snaps, total yards, total 1st downs and total TDs in terms of percentages of those on the team.

Did you do the same for all NFL QBs?

Are Goff or Prescott or Cutler or Matt Ryan or whoever above or below 54%, 61%, 58%, and 65% of their respective teams total snaps, yards, 1st downs and TDs?

Curious where Taylor ranks in that percentage once you piece it together.

And also, there was the entire game Taylor missed... yet he's still accounted for those percentages of total team snaps/yards/1st downs/TDs on the year.

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You're being evasive.

I accounted for pass attempts, rushes AND sacks for Taylor in terms of offensive snaps, total yards, total 1st downs and total TDs in terms of percentages of those on the team.

Are Goff or Prescott or Cutler or Matt Ryan or whoever above or below 54%, 61%, 58%, and 65% of their respective teams total snaps, yards, 1st downs and TDs?

And also, there was the entire game Taylor missed... yet he's still accounted for those percentages of total team snaps/yards/1st downs/TDs on the year.

Why does this weirdo stat matter again?

41 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You're being evasive.

You're being obtuse. 

You say that Tyrod was responsible for 54% of offensive snaps? Unimpressive. Most team pass more than 54% of all snaps. You say that Tyrod was responsible for 61% of the Bills total yards but most teams pass games alone are responsible for a higher percentage of their total yardage than that. Your stats are wildly unremarkable, and in fact below average even when comparing only the pass yardage and snaps of other teams against Tyrod's passes and runs.

Tyrod got 65% of the offensive TDs? I compared Tyrod's passing and running QBs totalled, with only the passing TDs of other teams. Still well below average in the resulting rankings for Tyrod.

I've spelled it out - clearly - twice now and this is the third time. If you're interested in a research project of some sort, by all means go and do it, but don't expect me to do it for you.

Again, I threw all of Tyrod's pass and run stats against just the pass stats of the other QBs. And it still came out well below average. 

35 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Why does this weirdo stat matter again?

Exactly.

It matters because the numbers it gives are high enough that at first glance it seems impressive for Tyrod.

Transplant can practically hear people saying stuff like, "58% of something or other? And 65% of some other not real clear thing. Those numbers are over 50%, so they seem high!! And Tyrod's name is there, near high numbers. Hmmm."

And for Transplant, that imagined response is enough.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

I can't believe I'm actually going to suggest this, but after reading all of this crap and thinking about it.... Fitzy might be the best guy to bring in here to work with both Peterman and the new kid they draft in April. He's on a 1 year deal with Tampa Bay, so won't cost anything to sign him as a FA. 

The guy definitely has the football IQ down and had a bit of "gunslinger" in him. He just didn't have all of the physical tools to successfully execute what he was seeing. 

His numbers were actually ok for a backup, 1103 yards/7TDs/3INTs/86.0 QBR and averaged 183.8 yards per game in 6 games, 3 as the starter (2-1). 

I can't believe it either.

1 hour ago, twoandfourteen said:

I don't want him to start, or ever really see the field. But as a backup/mentor, maybe? I can't think of any other vet that I would like to see work with the new QBs.

Tyrod Taylor will go from the worst starting QB to the best backup QB in the league in 2018 if he will accept that role. Unfortunately I do not think it can be for the Bills. 

57 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

Tyrod Taylor will go from the worst starting QB to the best backup QB in the league in 2018 if he will accept that role. Unfortunately I do not think it can be for the Bills. 

I don't really want Taylor in that "mentor" role -- as far as learning how to be a professional, film study, diligence, commitment, etc... he'd be perfect in that regard, there is no question about that. I really like Tyrod as an individual and as a pro. It doesn't get much better than him. 

The problem is that his overall game relies primarily on things that athletically only he is capable of, and his perspective on the passing game is severely limited by the fundamental things he can't do. I just don't think he'd be a very good candidate to teach a rookie how to run a high-powered passing attack. 

41 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

I don't really want Taylor in that "mentor" role -- as far as learning how to be a professional, film study, diligence, commitment, etc... he'd be perfect in that regard, there is no question about that. I really like Tyrod as an individual and as a pro. It doesn't get much better than him. 

The problem is that his overall game relies primarily on things that athletically only he is capable of, and his perspective on the passing game is severely limited by the fundamental things he can't do. I just don't think he'd be a very good candidate to teach a rookie how to run a high-powered passing attack. 

This ^^^^

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/26/2017 at 1:29 PM, BillsFan2313 said:

Evan Silva is a dummy. I am shocked how often that fool is wrong, and still has a job covering football. 

He's the top of the industry, you're a poster on a football forum. LOL. Learn the game and then discuss football. 

4 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

Definitely agree with this for the Bills. So much water under the bridge. I think it could be different for another team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1