Replay Rules

/dev/null

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What happened to indisputable visual evidence where the call stands?

Clearly I understand that. I’ll stand by what I said- reading the responses (things like worst call I’ve ever seen) I thought it would be worse. 

I see how a guy that professionally reviews plays could think he has it there. I am not sure i call it clear and irrefutable but after watching I lean towards saying the foot was up.

without the on the field call - which way would you call it? If the standard was just what you think you see in the replay (again, obviously not the standard at that point but if discussing whether it’s the most heinous call ever, I think the discussion reframes)

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I hope all of you in the "get it right" crowd are happy with what replay has brought you.  Just another way to introduce arbitrary rules interpretations to the game, if not outright manipulation.   Officiating is worse than ever and replay is the direct cause.

I agree. I really wish they would throw the whole replay thing out.  It sucks. 

3 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

It's about time they start doing their jobs.

Still waiting on an offensive/defensive holding penalty on the Patriots.  Gilmore absolutely raped Benjamin on the TD play that was overruled, no flag.  They incessantly get away with more defensive holding/interference than any team in NFL history.

That killed me, too.  "It's a touchdown...but even if they overturn it, it's still pass interference.  Which they won't call."

I wasn't even surprised.  Of course that's the call they make.

4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

You're not lying.  I knew as soon as I saw it that they were going to overturn it.  Switch the jersey's and the ruling on the field stands (as it should have).  There have been 2 sets of rules in the NFL for far too long.

Fans are not stupid. They see the blatant and obvious favoritism for Patriotism. This will eventually destroy the NFL. They'll be no point in watching this WWE nonsense anymore. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Here was the explanation from referee Craig Wrolstad:

Q: What was the conclusive evidence to overturn the call?

Wrolstad: When the receiver got confirmed control of the football, he was not able to get both feet down in bounds. So, his back foot was already off the ground and it stepped out of bounds. His firm control did not occur until after he had one foot off the ground.

Q: On replay, did you feel that was clear and obvious?

Wrolstad: It was clear and obvious that he did not have control of the ball until he brought it all the way down into his chest.

Q: Field judge Steve Zimmer pointed towards Benjamin’s feet after the play and he was the closest official. Was he consulted during that replay process to share what he saw?

Wrolstad: Well, he might share it with me before I go into the booth, but during the replay process, Steve is not consulted at that time.

That is atrocious.  It's based on firmness of control and whether or not the ball is brought all the way in to the receiver's chest?  

That's not an explanation, that's an admission that he was looking for a reason to overturn the call.  

The ref made the right call....what gets lost in all of this is they choose the Pats over one of their own. Do you suppose that the ref is furious....i would be. Something that close you side with your own....shameful and shows Kraft’s power. 

Edited by RShirley

From Pro Football Talk:

Al Riveron has turned instant replay into a mess. When the NFL initially implemented instant replay reviews, the idea was to correct clear officiating mistakes. The idea was that you assumed the call on the field was correct until the replay proved otherwise. The idea was not to look at the play as if you were starting from scratch. But that seems to be what Riveron, the NFL’s fist-year head of officiating, is doing when he reviews replays. How else to explain his decision to overturn a Bills touchdown yesterday? There was not clear and obvious video evidence showing the call on the field was wrong. There was, at best, evidence that the call on the field might have been wrong. But “might” isn’t supposed to cut it. The league needs to spend some time this offseason coming up with a clearer standard for what constitutes enough evidence to overturn the call on the field, because at the moment the man making those decisions doesn’t seem to be clear about that standard. It really says something about the NFL’s rules that jumping into a Salvation Army kettle results in the same penalty as cheap-shotting a defenseless opponent’s brain, yet that’s nowhere near the dumbest rule we’ve all complained about in the last couple weeks.

16 hours ago, DC Tom said:

That is atrocious.  It's based on firmness of control and whether or not the ball is brought all the way in to the receiver's chest?  

That's not an explanation, that's an admission that he was looking for a reason to overturn the call.  

This is exactly what I was thinking why they took so long- looking for every possible opportunity to bail the Pats out...I’ve never seen a replay take that long that was supposedly “irrefutable”...the league has turned into a joke

Edited by JaCrispy

There were no grounds for reversing the call on the TD, the explanation handed out makes no sense at all

so rewrite the rule for a 50th time and maybe the next time it can be useful in a real football situation

wont that be nice?  Goooooooooooooooo......

18 hours ago, Paulus said:

What a load of **** "explanation." Benjamin had control long before that fool says he did. 

He is explaining it like normal people can't tell he freezes the clip well after Benjamin gets control, and then points out Benjamin's foot being off the ground. What a patronizing !@#$. 

Can this !@#$ explain why the refs gave the Pats a 1st down when the guy broke the plane of the marker aND then pulled the ball back? !@#$ing pathetic refs.

Where he stops it and says "that foot is off the ground" you still cant tell conclusively that the foot is off the ground either.  BS overturning.

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Where he stops it and says "that foot is off the ground" you still cant tell conclusively that the foot is off the ground either.  BS overturning.

That was my thought too.  Apparently his eye sight is good enough to tell from that angle of the camera it conclusive was his foot was no longer touching.

18 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Here was the explanation from referee Craig Wrolstad:

Q: What was the conclusive evidence to overturn the call?

Wrolstad: When the receiver got confirmed control of the football, he was not able to get both feet down in bounds. So, his back foot was already off the ground and it stepped out of bounds. His firm control did not occur until after he had one foot off the ground.

Q: On replay, did you feel that was clear and obvious?

Wrolstad: It was clear and obvious that he did not have control of the ball until he brought it all the way down into his chest.

Q: Field judge Steve Zimmer pointed towards Benjamin’s feet after the play and he was the closest official. Was he consulted during that replay process to share what he saw?

Wrolstad: Well, he might share it with me before I go into the booth, but during the replay process, Steve is not consulted at that time.

The questions are pretty pointless.  Of course the referee is going to say it was clear and obvious.  They have to justify the call and they aren't going to say they made a mistake.

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The questions are pretty pointless.  Of course the referee is going to say it was clear and obvious.  They have to justify the call and they aren't going to say they made a mistake.

He just repeated what Riveron told him from NY.