Does your hatred of Pats for some get watered down by previous history?

Bing Bong

I hope to speak for the younger crowd here, as well as ask opinions from those who's lives haven't dominated by a mortal enemy #1 that sucks my optimism down a peg every time something goes wrong in a Pats game. I started out as a poor Bills fan since the MCM miracle (very young), but as my passion grew, I have developed an irrational hatred for all things Patriots. It's all I've ever known. In my professional unbiased opinion, they symbolize cowardice; complaining for phantom calls, and receiving them. Poor sportsmanship; running the score against the 2007 Bills, among other instances, because they could do score at will that season. Gronk's hit, with no remorse, against one of my favorite players (second to Hyde).

SpyGate, DeflateGate (the "deflator" losing pounds?) TB12 destroying his phone? I of all people was going to write this down as nonsense, but good god Brady always finds a way to irritating me. Don't even get me started on SpyGate, what in the flying **** happened there. 

Check out that stupid secret PatsFan's "everybody" cheats website. The Bills got a slap on the wrist for the train noise thing.. cool. But that weighs just as equally as Spygate (lol). PatsFans do no wrong, another point of irritation here. But that's another topic.

Point is, do the younger folks want nothing better for Tom Brady when he tears some rotator cuff throwing a ball in one of his BS "intentional grounding throws" to avoid a pansy while getting slammed by a Kyle Williams pressure? Gronk out with broken ribs after a vicious hit to the chest by Hyde?

How has your past TB12 era been a living hell? They are to most evil of franchises in my young career.

To the older folks, how does this era compare to the 70s Dolphins. I understand the nostalgia there, and don't think the TB12 era will every be topped in my lifetime (in terms of untapped hatred regardless of the next team to come and create a new evil era of dominance (Jets 2030?) I imagine it's one of those things where your fist soul crushing 20 years will never be forgotten or replaced.

On a lighter note, I never get more pumped to see meaning football against the team I despise the most, The Gronk storyline will have me riveted, and that's all I can ask for as a fan. That and god forbid a good old fashion spanking against these terrible human beings.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

As an “older fan” it’s my opinion that the Dolphins- Bills rivalry was much more intense.

The Dolphins had been perrenial winners and once their QB started to age they got lucky and drafted the NFLs golden boy,Dan Marino.

What made the rivalry intense were the facts we had our own golden boy, the Miami media took a lot of shots at Buffalo and they had players like Bryan Cox.

Adding to that is the fact we lost to the Dolphins for an entire decade,losing on last second bull **** ref calls. Sound familiar?

Having said the above,I too despise Brady,the Pats and their ignorant fans. Their fans are almost entirely bandwagon fans who are one day going to be jumping off the wagon. The Pats will secure their rightful place in the East, at the bottom, like they did so many,many years previously.

Brady would be retired by now if he played in the era of Kelly and Marino,where men where men,regardless of position. There were no pansy ass rules in place to protect the feminine one. It wasn’t a passing league where rules help QBs and offenses in general.

Brady is going to get hurt,make no mistake about it. As much as I despise his type I just hope he doesn’t get hurt badly, just enough to make Jizzell give him an ultimatum,from which he will succumb.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Miami rivalry felt different to me.  While I never hated either team, I do think the Pats are far more despised than the Fins ever were (Bryan Cox aside).

And then there's that sense of pathetic hopelessness when we play the Pats.  Yep, during the 70s, we lost to the Fins 20 times in a row.  But that was more of a matter of us being bad than them being unbeatable.  And after that, it was more fun than rancorous.  Many of the games in the 80s and 90s had playoff implications for both teams.  That's not true of the Pats games.  

Another difference is that the rivalry was one of two cities as well as two teams.  There was the contrast between a sunny resort town and a snowy rust belt city.  I was in South Florida for a playoff game and one of the Miami news stations had a story about why so many Bills fans travel to Florida for games.  They showed scenes of people knee deep in snow on a gray December day in Buffalo and compared that to folks in Miami frolicking on the beaches.   They suggested we weren't loyal fans, we just liked Miami better.

Is the Pats-Buffalo rivalry even a thing?  The Pats are the bogeyman to many Buffalonians.  But Bostonians hardly notice us.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dlonce said:

entire decade,losing on last second bull **** ref calls. Sound familiar?

Absolutely. I know this was a long time ago and we clearly got our Jim Kelly revenge. But right now I see no light at the and of the darkness. Did Bob Greise pout when calls didn't go his way? were they dirty? Did the Bills get a chance to inspire hope (I guess they always do in a homer mind like me.), did the Pats cheat, run up the score on 4th and 1 up by 50 points with 2 min left. I threw up a little in my mouth.

You're saying the 90s Dolphins took shots at the Jim Kelly Bills? I get that's an unbelievable rivalry, but my perspective is I'd infinitely love a rivalry, (especially given our scoreboard bragging rights) over this Pats nightmare.

Thanks for giving me that old man wisdom ;).

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Is the Pats-Buffalo rivalry even a thing?  The Pats are the bogeyman to many Buffalonians.  But Bostonians hardly notice us.  

That's my point lol, I don't know what a rivalry is. They sound fun. All I know is wake up every year hoping Karma will rear it's ugly head, and we just annihilate Brady.

My question is not best rivalry. Who is the most hated franchise in our history.

I remember the Super Bowl runs well, I was a young teenager for wide right. Those are your most formative years as a sports fan, so I was hooked. 

My issue with the Patriots are simple. They cheat, and their fans have no sense of the history of the game. 

I lived in Boston for several years and was there for the first, improbable super bowl run on the back (foot) of Vinateri and some backup QB from Michigan. That city was always a baseball town, first and foremost. People barely knew or cared there was an NFL team down there next to Rhode Island. After the Pats win that night,  I distinctly remember a “Yankees Suck!” chant breaking out in the Beacon Hill Pub. 

True Pats fans that can name any player prior to 2000 are few and far between. Contrast that with Packers and Steelers and Bills fans. 

As far as the cheating, they’ve admitted to it and accepted sanctions on two separate occasions. They are more tainted than Barry Bonds and Jose Canseco competing in the Balco All-Drug Olympics. 

So while I get that Patriots dominance is all some younger fans know, trust us older folks when we tell you it will come to an end. 

6 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Absolutely. I know this was a long time ago and we clearly got our Jim Kelly revenge. But right now I see no light at the and of the darkness. Did Bob Greise pout when calls didn't go his way? were they dirty? Did the Bills get a chance to inspire hope (I guess they always do in a homer mind like me.), did the Pats cheat, run up the score on 4th and 1 up by 50 points with 2 min left. I threw up a little in my mouth.

You're saying the 90s Dolphins took shots at the Jim Kelly Bills? I get that's an unbelievable rivalry, but my perspective is I'd infinitely love a rivalry, (especially given our scoreboard bragging rights) over this Pats nightmare.

Thanks for giving me that old man wisdom ;).

That's my point lol, I don't know what a rivalry is. They sound fun. All I know is wake up every year hoping Karma will rear it's ugly head, and we just annihilate Brady.

My question is not best rivalry. Who is the most hated franchise in our history.

In my memory, I'd have to say the Pats.

Its far easier to hate Belichick/Brady than Shula/Marino.

11 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

From my time spent in New England, trust me, there are some decent Pats fans out there that are not bandwagoners and were just as sick of us in the 80s-90s as we are of them now. 

19 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The Miami rivalry felt different to me.  While I never hated either team, I do think the Pats are far more despised than the Fins ever were (Bryan Cox aside).

And then there's that sense of pathetic hopelessness when we play the Pats.  Yep, during the 70s, we lost to the Fins 20 times in a row.  But that was more of a matter of us being bad than them being unbeatable.  And after that, it was more fun than rancorous.  Many of the games in the 80s and 90s had playoff implications for both teams.  That's not true of the Pats games.  

Another difference is that the rivalry was one of two cities as well as two teams.  There was the contrast between a sunny resort town and a snowy rust belt city.  I was in South Florida for a playoff game and one of the Miami news stations had a story about why so many Bills fans travel to Florida for games.  They showed scenes of people knee deep in snow on a gray December day in Buffalo and compared that to folks in Miami frolicking on the beaches.   They suggested we weren't loyal fans, we just liked Miami better.

Perfectly said

I have to say I hate  the pats** without question.

even the with the dolphins dominating the bills from '70 to '79 (20 game streak) it doesn't compare to the 27-3 streak presently held by the brady led pats**.

at least the bills were able to gain back some respect back through the 80's and 90's against the dolphins and I hold a respect for marino and shula where the arrogant brady I would just like to punch in the face, I hate his guts.

sunday can and hopefully will be the turning point with a win and as much as the arrogant patsie** fans want to clamor to the hope brady will play until he's 50, I'm thinking he and his cheating team will be knocked out of the first round. then after the beating he has taken this season, looking his age, he retires.

no watered down hate here, quite the contrary when speaking of the patsies**. more like a seething hatred for me.

There isn’t much comparison, imo.  The Dolphins never really dominated the whole league like the Pats do, for this length of time.

My hate of the Pats is at a whole new level.  It’s simply not healthy.  My hate for Miami was more fun - typical sports hate.

6 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I don't disagree, I want the patriots to be a rivalry. and i wish they weren't evil, it would be a great story line growing up if we didn't just roll over all the time.

The big difference between the Miami rivalry and the Pats is Miami viewed the Bills as a rival. We aren’t even on the Pats radar. 

31 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree with all of this. At 53, I'm one of the younger fans on this site (jk!), and I was just a kid in the seventies. Maybe I'm looking at the past through rose colored glasses, but the Bills/Dolphins rivalry felt more like Rocky vs Apollo Creed, whereas the current Bills/Pats* rivalry feels more like Rocky vs Ivan Drago. It sure would be satisfying to watch a Drago beat-down tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The big difference between the Miami rivalry and the Pats is Miami viewed the Bills as a rival. We aren’t even on the Pats radar. 

You get a sense that the Pats* view themselves as having 31 rivals.

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I agree with all of this. At 53, I'm one of the younger fans on this site (jk!), and I was just a kid in the seventies. Maybe I'm looking at the past through rose colored glasses, but the Bills/Dolphins rivalry felt more like Rocky vs Apollo Creed, whereas the current Bills/Pats* rivalry feels more like Rocky vs Ivan Drago. It sure would be satisfying to watch a Drago beat-down tomorrow.

You get a sense that the Pats* view themselves as having 31 rivals.

Kind of but I think that it was Peyton and Eli along with the Steelers. There was a brief stretch where the Jets were in there. In general though it’s been the Mannings and Steelers.

I lived through the Dolphin domination of the 70’s, and my hatred for those teams doesn’t come close to my hatred of the Patriots** which burns with the intensity of 1000 suns.  At least the Dolphins won legitimately.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Pats are not a rivalry team in the essence that it is not even close record wise. We've become a warm up game to them and even though we have had a few wins they are few and far between. The Dolphins in the late 80's early 90's was a rivalry and some of the best games to watch. The teams genuinely hated each other and I remember Brian Cox spitting at the fans like it was yesterday. But, if you look at the Dolphins record against us in the 90's we dominated them for the most part. I still feel like it was a rivalry against the Dolphins more than the Patriots. We are not feared anymore in New England. We still play against the dolphins and Jets tough. Be thankful that they realigned the conferences and we didn't have to endure the Manning years in Indianapolis as well. Having Brady and Manning in the same division would of been nuts.

13 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I lived through the Dolphin domination of the 70’s, and my hatred for those teams doesn’t come close to my hatred of the Patriots** which burns with the intensity of 1000 suns.  At least the Dolphins won legitimately.

True, but back in the day, I remember thinking the Fish got a lot of calls because Shula was on the competition committee.  Still, in retrospect, I did not loathe Miami the way I despise the Pats***.  Even when we were 0 for the decade, we played the Fins close in a lot of games.  I think we came closest to beating them their 17 - 0 season.

Edited by Dr. Who