Underrated signing

Hebert19

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Cadet may not go down in history as a great or even good running back but when he comes in to spell shady I don't cringe like I did when Tolbert would come in. 

He's been a pleasant surprise running rather than just as a pass catcher.   He seems to get to the edge with ease.  

I have a hunch he will be part of the wrinkle we add this week for the pats.  His and shady both on field at same time.  Gives tyrod simple throws that could net big yards.  Beat the pats at their own game.  

I agree.  No offense to Cadet but there are probably lots of fast running backs who could come in to spell Shady and been a productive change-of-pace back that helps the team.  I think Jonathan Williams could have been a great addition to the offense.  But for some reason the team (maybe McDermott) was hell bent on having Mike Tolbert as RB2.  Not only that but he ran the same off tackle plays designed for a runner like Shady, which was just a head scratcher.  Glad he came to his senses

Cadet is good at what he does, but he is a good example at how good RBs are easily found in the NFL and you never want to give up very much to get one, unless you are talking about a Top 3 in the league type of super talent.

But there are a ton of very serviceable "no name" RBs to be found.

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Cadet may not go down in history as a great or even good running back but when he comes in to spell shady I don't cringe like I did when Tolbert would come in. 

He's been a pleasant surprise running rather than just as a pass catcher.   He seems to get to the edge with ease.  

I have a hunch he will be part of the wrinkle we add this week for the pats.  His and shady both on field at same time.  Gives tyrod simple throws that could net big yards.  Beat the pats at their own game.  

That's why this team built by new management and coaching is so interesting!  Cadet is making $410,000 per year.  Gillislee of the PATS who has been a healthy scratch for the last 4 weeks earns $4 mil per season.  It's nice!

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Cadet's been a great find.  Wouldn't have been necessary if Whaley had learned from his Hogan mistake and let TDMike go for a 5th round tender.  Whaley is the GM that just keeps on giving, even long after he's gone.

Whaley thought Jonathan Williams would be the backup rb, not freakin' Mike Tolbert. I put the blame for the lousy backup running squarely on McDermott & Beane. If Tolbert had not gotten hurt Cadet would probably never have seen the field. 

Edited by Dr. K

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Cadet is good at what he does, but he is a good example at how good RBs are easily found in the NFL and you never want to give up very much to get one, unless you are talking about a Top 3 in the league type of super talent.

But there are a ton of very serviceable "no name" RBs to be found.

I agree.  The GM does deserve credit for getting Cadet; he found a good one.  But it's not like finding a bona fide franchise QB in the fifth round.  It's just what most good GMs do.  

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I agree.  No offense to Cadet but there are probably lots of fast running backs who could come in to spell Shady and been a productive change-of-pace back that helps the team.  I think Jonathan Williams could have been a great addition to the offense.  But for some reason the team (maybe McDermott) was hell bent on having Mike Tolbert as RB2.  Not only that but he ran the same off tackle plays designed for a runner like Shady, which was just a head scratcher.  Glad he came to his senses

Well, the Broncos signed Jonathan Williams to their practice squad but eventually releases him.  He then signed with the Saints, which seems strange considering their RB depth.

2 hours ago, Punt75 said:

That's why this team built by new management and coaching is so interesting!  Cadet is making $410,000 per year.  Gillislee of the PATS who has been a healthy scratch for the last 4 weeks earns $4 mil per season.  It's nice!

I still kind of miss MG.  But the bang-for-the-buck wasn't there at that price.  And it is kind of funny to watch the Pats  pay him all that money to sit around in street clothes.

I barely noticed when we signed Cadet but have been impressed with him as a back up.

Edited by hondo in seattle

16 hours ago, HOF4LOU said:

anyone read that article about Trent Richardson finding his mojo in CFL ?  Maybe he will be on our radar for next year.

I haven't heard a word of Trent Richardson up here in Canada.

On that note, Montreal just hired former Packers HC Mike Sherman as their new HC

9 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I still kind of miss MG.  But the bang-for-the-buck wasn't there at that price.  And it is kind of funny to watch the Pats  pay him all that money to sit around in street clothes.

I barely noticed when we signed Cadet but have been impressed with him as a back up.

...so do they re-sign him?....he's on a one year deal...............