Military pension, 38 yrs old. Now what??

westerndecline

8 minutes ago, Howard said:

You worked hard for that pension young man and thanks for your service to our country. I also served this great nation for 60 years or more in the Postal service. I think you would like it there. i could make a few calls for you and if you wanted to serve again to ensure delivery of our correspondents and packages you could put another 20 years in the postal service and have two pensions. Its hard work but very rewarding for those of us who served over 30 years. I don't expect you will thank me for my service like I thanked you because most people think "serving the country" is just the four branches of the military but I was out on the front lines too. I served ten years in Lackawana, 8 years in Williamsville, did my biggest tour in South Buffalo for 24 years. keep it in mind as a possibility.

As the son of a mailman, I thank you for your service.

Like Cripple Creek said... You'd get Vet pref... Get two pensions...

Go to USAJobs.gov

We (Corps) have a bunch of retired vets... Few of the younger vets are combat vets.

If you want to deploy, you can.  That's the USACE's #1 pressing concern... Bodies needed. We have one lock operator deployed in Iraq now for the past 18 months... You can stand to make huge bucks!  Rough x3s your wage... Well into 6 figures!  If you deploy, you an get your pay, hazard pay, etc... And all your annual leave will accrue... And still get liberty and R&R!  Per diem when on TDY.  Normally, you can carry 240 annual (vacation) hours leave on books every year... But if you deploy, that leave becomes unlimited to carry over when you return to your PDS here stateside.

We got another guy in Puerto Rico now... We need bodies to staff the home front 24/7/365... The OT is piling up...

24 minutes ago, Howard said:

You worked hard for that pension young man and thanks for your service to our country. I also served this great nation for 60 years or more in the Postal service. I think you would like it there. i could make a few calls for you and if you wanted to serve again to ensure delivery of our correspondents and packages you could put another 20 years in the postal service and have two pensions. Its hard work but very rewarding for those of us who served over 30 years. I don't expect you will thank me for my service like I thanked you because most people think "serving the country" is just the four branches of the military but I was out on the front lines too. I served ten years in Lackawana, 8 years in Williamsville, did my biggest tour in South Buffalo for 24 years. keep it in mind as a possibility.

You should deploy Howard!

We need fine people in Puerto Rico!

We got a guy there now!  Think of it as "Club Med" w/no power!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

23 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Wow, you're up early out in AZ. 

What time do you and Shirl begin your day?

Cream of Wheat or grits?

(quote him) we had to get up early to pick up our son at the Trailways station and then we are getting Howard shaved for the holidays.

Were usually up at 5 or so and we have our breakfast but this morning our neighbor was flushing his toilet so many times that our water pressure went down and we had to just have some entemens.

35 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You could become a lock operator, no prior experience or skill needed.

x2

We are hiring a lot of vets... The most I have seen in my 30 years there.  Retired guys too... 20 year lifers. Beating down door to get in... Vet pref helps!

Seems everybody wants a Fed job now.  Can't beat it here westerndecline.  Schedule is great... We work 12s now... 80 hours every two weeks, let your leave pile up and after 15 years (your military time will credit) you earn 8 hours every 2 weeks... You can then take that 8 hours off every 2 weeks... So basically you will work 36 hours a week and carry 240 leave yearly!

Sick leave is separate... 4 hours bi-weekly... Don't get sick and in a career, one can have a couple 1000 hours on books as "insurance" against catastrophic illiness!

And, they are only 3 12 hour days!  So you are off streches of 7 or more every month.

westerndecline... Great schedule!

Were you deployed overseas, in combat westerndecline... That will help too...

The DoD (USACE) and Inland Waterways is calling you westerndecline!

Don't like the cold?  Had one of our Marines vets transfer down to Florida to the Okeechobee Waterway... O think he's in his young 30s.  It's all the same!  Get foot in door.  Get IMTS (InlandMarineTransportationSystem) certified, clear security, CaC, all the crazy IT crap, trainings, etc... And you'll be able to hire/transfer in-house, deploy, etc...

Are you mechanically talented, work in trades?  Weld, have electrical, plumbing, carpenter background... Lots of deployment options available... Puerto Rico, Houston, Iraq, Afghanistan... $$$$ ...  They need inspectors (QA's) rebuilding those areas!  Or stay stateside and help the home team economy!!!

Build and fight if you want just as it was years ago, same today, just different process:

%22YOU_CAN_BUILD_AND_FIGHT%22_-_NARA_-_5

51 minutes ago, Gugny said:

As the son of a mailman, I thank you for your service.

Thank him for his dedicated service!  With the help of his wife and a nice stable loving home... A Gugny graces our presence today on this fine board!  A Bills fan too!

:D

6 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Male prostitute?

Common.  Let’s be serious here.  I propose that you open an “adult bakery” which specializes in making cakes and other confectionaries that resemble male/female genetalia.  Nail down those untapped bachelor/bachelorette/orgy markets.

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Common.  Let’s be serious here.  I propose that you open an “adult bakery” which specializes in making cakes and other confectionaries that resemble male/female genetalia.  Nail down those untapped bachelor/bachelorette/orgy markets.

I am still pushing lock & dam op.  He can do both, make that cake, lock boats and do it all in Afghanistan while getting chased by the Taliban.  The Pashtun culture digs little boys! 

Just now, westerndecline said:

Was a sk in the coast guard

Even better!

The Army has more "boats" than the Navy.

We work tightly with the Coast Guard.

We may be hiring if one of our ops doesn't wanna come back from deployment.  He's older, in his late 50s and maybe just retire too.

We have Navy/Marines, Army, Air Force guys... A Coastie would be a perfect fit... You got your boat training nailed.  Jusy don't scuff the gates:

You guys are Homeland defense now (used to be DoT)... Got full Article 10 powers... Can you operate a bow mounted SAW (not attached in video, but mount is there)?

See that mount on bow... That's were the SAW goes.