Military pension, 38 yrs old. Now what??

westerndecline

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

When EII retires, will he be considered a Veteran?

That leads me to a question that I asked years ago, but was never able to get a decent answer:  Is Barack Obama a Veteran?  He was Commander in Chief (aka HMFIC of the entire Military) for eight years.  To me, that makes him a Veteran.

Technically no, the POTUS is still a civilian.

What about other presidents that were not military... Is Trump a Vet?

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I imagine there's lots of lock operators in Iraq and Afghanistan.

No.  We don't just lock boats.  Are job is all in-house.  We have to weld, plumb, electrical, carpentry, etc... All maintenance to keep lock running is done by the 13 on crew. Operating Engineers.

Overseas... We become QA's... "Inspectors" for contractors.  Like electrical jobs on bases, rest of country we are rebuilding. Etc...

Doing the same in Houston now, Puerto Rico, Florida... During Katrina... Making sure contractors aren't screwing thr gov't.

In hydrograpgic survey... I was a QA inspector at times... Working with contractors making sure the stone was delivered to the Presque Isle beach erosion project in the 1990s... I was in dredging... Beach nourishing... Working on the hopper dredges on lake, floatin plants.  Same goes on here on inlands.  I am just not on TDY all the time and can be home to watch my Children grow up.

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

How can a civilian lead the armed forces?  That makes no sense.

He's a veteran.

Why the Mattis thing was so heated.  Why they want separation (not in so recently) for Sec of Defense.  He wasn't out that long.  It's always been a civilian.

DoD is led by a CIVILIAN.

Do you want coups in this country?

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The POTUS has ultimate authority but no rank, as designated by Article 2 of the US Constitution.  Additionally, the UCMJ doesn't apply to him.

3 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

The POTUS has ultimate authority but no rank, as designated by Article 2 of the US Constitution.  Additionally, the UCMJ doesn't apply to him.

This is incorrect.

Obama is a veteran.

FWIW... The pics of the Sec Def... Generals and Colonials are all hanging on the wall in the lunchroom at the lock... Always along with the Big Guy at top.:lol:

More to the military than weapons and fighting... There is a national economy to serve... We are even nation-building now.

Global Terrorism has changed the game... Terrorists now want to attack this system, culture, economy.  One dam breach in Ottawa, Illinois now floods 10s of 1,000s.  One 7,000 tons of nitrous fertilizer in a tow boat makes Texas City explosion in the late 1940s look like chump change.

Again... I know you guys are joking and trolling... But I am jusy trying to help a Coastie out!

This is incorrect.

Obama is a veteran.

You should stick to trolling on the main board.

You aren't good at it there either but at least you'll get a rise out of someone there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He's a veteran.

If you don't understand that, it'll really blow your mind to find out that the Surgeon General is an honest-to-God commissioned officer who holds the rank of Vice Admiral.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

FWIW... The pics of the Sec Def... Generals and Colonials are all hanging on the wall in the lunchroom at the lock... Always along with the Big Guy at top.:lol:

More to the military than weapons and fighting... There is a national economy to serve... We are even nation-building now.

Global Terrorism has changed the game... Terrorists now want to attack this system, culture, economy.  One dam breach in Ottawa, Illinois now floods 10s of 1,000s.  One 7,000 tons of nitrous fertilizer in a tow boat makes Texas City explosion in the late 1940s look like chump change.

Again... I know you guys are joking and trolling... But I am jusy trying to help a Coastie out!

You really believe this guy was in the military?  Common man.

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's The DiD that is gettinh the daily business donr.  Sec. of Defense had always been a civilian.  Not that they can't be prior military... Historically, there was separation since they last served.  

Dude ... I know.  I was joking.

Just now, Gugny said:

You really believe this guy was in the military?  Common man.

No.  I said Trump wasn't.

On wall at work... There is always two Civilians gov't people above the Generals and Colonial... The Prez and Sec of Defense.

Dude ... I know.  I was joking.

Sorry... I never know around here.

My goal is to help westerndecline out... The snarky bs is really unbecoming here... Always has been.  It is what it is...

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

If you don't understand that, it'll really blow your mind to find out that the Surgeon General is an honest-to-God commissioned officer who holds the rank of Vice Admiral.

Their portraits are what get me.  All up in uniform and everything :lol:

Honestly... I wish today's better system was in place for my father back in the day...For Vets.  He retired early in life like westerndecline and other Vets... Yet, my father turned to the bottle at times when bored.

westerndecline, you're a young man!  Even with the 70% you have so much service left to do, if you choose.

Sorry, to be Debbie Downer at times... This is serious biz... 38 is a young man.  We live in "sexy times."  Unless he is the son of Aristotle Onasis or a Kennedy, he will still have to plan well!!!

6 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Their portraits are what get me.  All up in uniform and everything :lol:

Trump's pic at work was changed twice so far!!! First one had him scowling... Now he is "smiling" Donald!  First time in 30 years I seen a prez' portrait changed mid-term!

Mattis has his "war face" on.  Other, new Gens and Col must be allowed to smile now!  Not 30 years ago!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Honestly... I wish today's better system was in place for my father back in the day...For Vets.  He retired early in life like westerndecline and other Vets... Yet, my father turned to the bottle at times when bored.

westerndecline, you're a young man!  Even with the 70% you have so much service left to do, if you choose.

Sorry, to be Debbie Downer at times... This is serious biz... 38 is a young man.  We live in "sexy times."  Unless he is the son of Aristotle Onasis or a Kennedy, he will still have to plan well!!!

You believe everything Dunkirk Don says, don't you?

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Trump's pic at work was changed twice so far!!! First one had him scowlinh... Now he is "smiling" Donald!  First time in 30 yeats I seen a prez' portrait changed mid-term!

There's at least one government office I go to that explicitly refuses to put Trump's portrait up.  

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No.  Not uniformed.

But many of us serving in Iraq/Afganistan, Middle East...

Still not in uniform.

Look... Coast Guard was always DoT until 911... They have Article 10 know.  What about the old Coasties?

And... I am just trying to seriously help a Vet out here.  It is what the system is designed for.  We are fighting wars now, unlike in my youth 30 years.  A system is place for guys like westerndecline to still serve their nation.

No.  First hand interactions with dolts like you.  Ryan, you really aren't an azz in person, why the internet muscles?

I am just trying to help this Vet.  Don't be a douche.

You fell for this stuff again!!!

9A583F9F-9668-4BAF-8E7F-CBCF2BB43C12.jpeg

Just like the Asian Carp, you bit the baited hook again!!!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Howard said:

You worked hard for that pension young man and thanks for your service to our country. I also served this great nation for 60 years or more in the Postal service. I think you would like it there. i could make a few calls for you and if you wanted to serve again to ensure delivery of our correspondents and packages you could put another 20 years in the postal service and have two pensions. Its hard work but very rewarding for those of us who served over 30 years. I don't expect you will thank me for my service like I thanked you because most people think "serving the country" is just the four branches of the military but I was out on the front lines too. I served ten years in Lackawana, 8 years in Williamsville, did my biggest tour in South Buffalo for 24 years. keep it in mind as a possibility.

I don't know man, 2 guys on my softball team ended up quitting the post office last year for different jobs.  They said they couldn't take it anymore.  From the 7 day a week work schedule(yes they deliver on Sundays now) to the constant hustling to get their routes done, I think there is better options.  Also they both worked there for over 8 years & were still considered temporary & got no benefits.  The US Postal office is a dying business, didn't they lose close to a billion dollars last year?  They treat their employees like crap.  You should be thankful you retired when it was a decent place to work at.  I would find a nice corner bar & become a bartender.  Use that money for spending/recreational money & the pension to pay the bills.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I would find a nice corner bar & become a bartender.  Use that money for spending/recreational money & the pension to pay the bills.

This isn't a terrible idea.  Only issue is I don't know of any bars that are hiring people close to 40 with no experience.  Maybe start as a barback at a vet-friendly bar or a cop bar if your disability doesn't keep you from lifting and moving stuff.

10 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I don't know man, 2 guys on my softball team ended up quitting the post office last year for different jobs.  They said they couldn't take it anymore.  From the 7 day a week work schedule(yes they deliver on Sundays now) to the constant hustling to get their routes done, I think there is better options.  Also they both worked there for over 8 years & were still considered temporary & got no benefits.  The US Postal office is a dying business, didn't they lose close to a billion dollars last year?  They treat their employees like crap.  You should be thankful you retired when it was a decent place to work at.  I would find a nice corner bar & become a bartender.  Use that money for spending/recreational money & the pension to pay the bills.

Wait, wait, wait...are you trying to say that the phrase "going postal" was meant in the derogatory? 

Then explain "Steve went postal last week.  Now all his troubles are behind him." Or "Steve went postal and now hes in a better place".  I thought "Going postal" means you joined up with the USPS and now you're on easy street?