12-11: McDermott and Coordinator Pressers

26CornerBlitz

28 minutes ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Because we have won despite the decisions....the decisions have not helped us win 

They wanted to pin them down inside their 15 on the punt, planned on stopping them to get the ball back, drive down to hopefully score and win.   And the fact that it did indeed work out just the way they had hoped was not part of their decision??

:rolleyes:

I haven't heard anyone mention this, however this is the only reason I could think of that would (maybe) make the punt a good idea...

It's 4th and 1 at the 40. A punt will push the ball 30 yards down the field to the 10. There is not much time left and the Colts sucks, so was McD thinking that the Colts were in 4 down territory? The hope may have been that the Bills gain 30 yards in field position and 4 plays later have the ball deep in Colts territory when the Colts fail to get the 1st on 4th and whatever.

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I could see the team persuing DT Donald or Latulelielieleile

W-L totals when taking into account the roster, plus additional off-field moves. Meaningful games in December, with a legitimate shot at the playoffs?

Sorry that you're a bitter !@#$wit, but those are factual things that are measurable.

And your a koolaid sipping clown who revels in the average. 

2 minutes ago, garybusey said:

I haven't heard anyone mention this, however this is the only reason I could think of that would (maybe) make the punt a good idea...

It's 4th and 1 at the 40. A punt will push the ball 30 yards down the field to the 10. There is not much time left and the Colts sucks, so was McD thinking that the Colts were in 4 down territory? The hope may have been that the Bills gain 30 yards in field position and 4 plays later have the ball deep in Colts territory when the Colts fail to get the 1st on 4th and whatever.

As McD said there were multiple variables to consider:

-- The severe weather conditions

-- The impact of going for it on 4th down and NOT making it

-- Having an emergency QB behind center

-- The fact that the Colts were (I believe) 3 of 16 on 3rd down for the game

-- The opposing QB was J. Brissett (and not Andrew Luck, for example)

-- The fact that other than the game tying, 10-minute drive, the Colts offense had been unable to move the ball all game long

-- Tendencies that Chuck P. and the rest of the opposing staff presented

-- Chances of the Colts driving the distance of the field to win (or even converting multiple first downs to secure a tie) versus chances of the defense to stop them and get the ball back

And more...

29 minutes ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Just because you obtain a good result doesn't mean all the decisions involved are good decisions.  I would argue that Brisett throwing behind a wide open ty Hilton played a bigger role in us winning than McDermott deciding to punt

This is what's head-bangingly frustrating about some of these conversations regarding McDermott's in-game decision making.

It's like: "We won, so he obviously made the right decision."

Yeah, and I was gonna be late for work the other day so I decided to drive 20 MPH over the speed limit to make it to work on time.

I got to work on time and didn't get pulled over.  That doesn't mean I won't get pulled over and pay a massive price next time.

Overall, McDermott is a really good coach.  I like him a lot.  He's brought in a clear culture change that's affected this team.  That doesn't mean he's untouchable with his in-game overly conservative decision making even in wins. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is what's head-bangingly frustrating about some of these conversations regarding McDermott's in-game decision making.

Yeah, and I was gonna be late for work the other day so I decided to drive 20 MPH over the speed limit to make it to work on time.

I got to work on time and didn't get pulled over.  That doesn't mean I won't get pulled over and pay a massive price next time.

Overall, McDermott is a really good coach.  I like him a lot.  He's brought in a clear culture change that's affected this team.  That doesn't mean he's untouchable with his in-game overly conservative decision making even in wins. 

I agree....McD is bordering on "sucks" when it comes to in game decision making. For a guy who constantly totes the line "look to get better at everything every week", he sure has not learned to be better with his decision making 

the challenge last week was the worst challenge I have ever seen in my life...what was he trying to challenge? did he honestly think a flag could be thrown after review???

constant waste of timeouts all year 

the punt 

Edited by PaattMaann

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

he's still learning. if he were still making questionable decisions in his third year then I'd be calling for his head. since he's a rookie he will make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. I too questioned his decision to punt but then after it was all said and done it looked more like to me that he had confidence in his defense to make the stop and get the ball back which is what happened.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Tasker is on WGR and said he was next to Peterman when he was coming off of the field and said he was unstable walking off the field.

I'm not a Neurologist but does that sound like a pretty bad concussion?

sounds like he got his bell rung. he'll be fine but needs to take this as a serious lesson. slide son, slide.

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

he's still learning. if he were still making questionable decisions in his third year then I'd be calling for his head. since he's a rookie he will make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. I too questioned his decision to punt but then after it was all said and done it looked more like to me that he had confidence in his defense to make the stop and get the ball back which is what happened.

sounds like he got his bell rung. he'll be fine but needs to take this as a serious lesson. slide son, slide.

Are you surprised to find out that I wasn't a Neurologist?

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Tasker is on WGR and said he was next to Peterman when he was coming off of the field and said he was unstable walking off the field.

I'm not a Neurologist but does that sound like a pretty bad concussion?

You try walking in a foot of snow while seeing stars :D

Bills coach Sean McDermott said Monday that Tyrod Taylor (knee) remains day-to-day approaching next Sunday's game against the Dolphins.

McDermott also said Nathan Peterman remains in the concussion protocol. If both are healthy, McDermott said Taylor will be the starter.