Gutless Call to Punt

ChicagoRic

23 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Exactly!  The best call was to punt and let the process play out!  Even if it was winding down too dangerously close to a tie!

Old school field position game.  The young bulls on the board dont realize this... They want it all now, play high risk, high reward.  McD played win-lose... Not high risk... That leads to lose-lose more often.

If they fail to convert, game over, season over.

What???  Where do you come up with this? If they don't make the first, the Colts have first down the Bills have to stop them. If they punt, the Colts have first down and the Bills have to stop them. 

There is no difference except for field position. But if they go for the first down, they win expectation GOES UP. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The decision had little to do with the Colts winning, it was only about the Bills winning. 

1 minute ago, dubs said:

Exactly. It’s situational awareness versus following espn’s stat machine.  

Really ok a Tie ends the Bills season 

but yep punt that away

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You can't be thinking about season.  The prudent thing is to think about game.

The spot would have been a crap shoot if it was close.

I am. That is the numbers in this game for Running. So again it was doomed right lol

so what is better giving it back up to Colts who just marched down the field on you or go get the first. 

Fine i will play your game the punt was smart cool (not) but the TO before the punt was asnine 

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, Domdab99 said:

What???  Where do you come up with this? If they don't make the first, the Colts have first down the Bills have to stop them. If they punt, the Colts have first down and the Bills have to stop them. 

There is no difference except for field position. But if they go for the first down, they win expectation GOES UP. 

They still need to get TD for outright win.

And yes.  Field position put Bills in best situation to win.  Field position was everything, it was right call.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Really ok a Tie ends the Bills season 

but yep punt that away

In that situation I can understand why it was a good call. Not obvious, but certainly defendable and it worked out well. 

They ran on first down and passed on second and third (because it was third and long). From the 25. What makes you think they would not have done the exact same thing from the 41?

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They ran on first down and passed on second and third (because it was third and long). From the 25. What makes you think they would not have done the exact same thing from the 41?

Sorry, but you are incorrect.  - they ran the first 2 plays and got a first down.  Then they threw the ball 3 straight times because they had to go 60 yards to win.

Give them the ball at the 41 - the 2 runs that netted a first down - now puts them at the Bills 45.  Instead of 60 - you now need about 30 with 2 time outs.  Running the ball probably nets them enough yards and they do not need to throw it at all.

I still hate the punt, but to think it did not impact the offensive mindset of the Colts is just wrong.  The difference in field position was massive in the outcome of the game.  It does not make the decision right, but it is a major part of the decision and something the goes into the call.

Yep.  But they tried to lose. 

Obviously they just discovered their secret weapon.    

I think I saw in an interview with Pete Townshend (The Who) that he said when the band first got together they just tried to play as bad as possible.   And the people loved it and they became popular!

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Because if you make the same decision 10 times it's wrong 7-8 of them. If you hit on 18 and win it was a bad decision even though you won that hand. 

I don't understand your reasoning and the reasoning of the many other critics on his decision.. He made a decision in which it ultimately worked. No coach all the time makea a decision merely based on the odds. If that was the case then there would be no need for the HC to use his judgment because it would already be scripted based on the odds. Coaches very often make decisions that involve some risk. Sometimes coaches make decisions on intuition and feel. 

The criticism seems to be based on the cautious/conservative nature of the call. What's wrong with being cautious when the field and weather were historically bad? If the Bills would have gone for it and the qb or back slipped no doubt there would be criticisms that the coach didn't adequately consider the wretched conditions.  

When the wrestling coach made the decision to punt I was disappointed. However, because it worked out well it seems foolish to join the chorus of critics because it was a decision that could be fairly judged to be instrumental in the victory. I simply don't understand the negative response emanating from a decision that worked. 

21 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I will say this - there is a huge difference between having to stop them from the 10 and the 41 - HUGE!

If Indy gets the stop and starts at the 40 - they are running the ball to try and win - something they had been effective at doing.  

When they got the ball at the 10 - Indy needed to throw to win a huge difference and what allowed the Bills to have time to win.

It is not trusting them - it is that Indy had to do something they struggled doing all game if they wanted to win after the punt.  

If Indy had wanted to just tie the game - they could have just run it and the punt would have been even worse decision, but Indy wanted the victory and it cost them the game.

No, what's HUGE is that were only 4 minutes left in the season - and you're punting the ball away instead of going for it.

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

Sorry, but you are incorrect.  - they ran the first 2 plays and got a first down.  Then they threw the ball 3 straight times because they had to go 60 yards to win.

Give them the ball at the 41 - the 2 runs that netted a first down - now puts them at the Bills 45.  Instead of 60 - you now need about 30 with 2 time outs.  Running the ball probably nets them enough yards and they do not need to throw it at all.

I still hate the punt, but to think it did not impact the offensive mindset of the Colts is just wrong.  The difference in field position was massive in the outcome of the game.  It does not make the decision right, but it is a major part of the decision and something the goes into the call.

It was right for the conditions.

2 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

McDermott is just not a very good coach both in regard to gameday decisions and personnel decisions. Same old conservative coaching style that is reminiscent of Dick Jauron. 

Except for the victory and the 5 rookies that contributed to the win.

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't understand your reasoning and the reasoning of the many other critics on his decision.. He made a decision in which it ultimately worked. No coach all the time makea a decision merely based on the odds. If that was the case then there would be no need for the HC to use his judgment because it would already be scripted based on the odds. Coaches very often make decisions that involve some risk. Sometimes coaches make decisions on intuition and feel. 

The criticism seems to be based on the cautious/conservative nature of the call. What's wrong with being cautious when the field and weather were historically bad? If the Bills would have gone for it and the qb or back slipped no doubt there would be criticisms that the coach didn't adequately consider the wretched conditions.  

When the wrestling coach made the decision to punt I was disappointed. However, because it worked out well it seems foolish to join the chorus of critics because it was a decision that could be fairly judged to be instrumental in the victory. I simply don't understand the negative response emanating from a decision that worked. 

Damn, I love this post.