A terminally ill Bills fan's 'personal Super Bowl'

Hi Everyone --

Long time reader of the board, and while I hardly ever post or start my own threads I wanted to share an article about my uncle that was in the Buffalo News today.  Unfortunately, about a year ago my uncle was diagnosed with ALS, and the disease was extremely fast acting in his case.  He passed away about a month ago, and this article tells a bit about the last Bills game he went to go watch with my Dad at our local Bills bar down in Virginia.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/07/a-terminally-ill-bills-fans-personal-super-bowl/

Being born in Washington, DC it's always been a bit odd telling people that I'm a Bills fan -- but my parents and my uncles were born and raised in Buffalo and there has never been a question in my household as to what team we root for.  I have loved every second of it, despite this playoff drought that has lasted since I was an 8 year old -- and the memories and traditions of watching games with my Dad and my uncles are the only reason why.

I wanted to share this just as a quick reminder to some as to why we love this crazy, stupid team of ours.  It's more than just football -- it truly is family.  I will always cherish the memories that the Bills have given my family, even if they've stunk for the majority of my lifetime.  I know we're all so sick of how incompetent they always seem to be, and that the QB can't throw the ball more than 10 yards in the air, and they've got no receivers, and they've got no linebackers, yada yada yada.  But at the end of the day, they are what they are -- and they're OURS.  What else could you want?  

Go Bills and Happy Holidays!

• Like (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 1

that is a prime example of what watching the bills means to a lot of people. i always will associate it with watching the game with my dad and my favorite games every season are the one or two i get to watch with him. this story really hit me

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, kickedface said:

that is a prime example of what watching the bills means to a lot of people. i always will associate it with watching the game with my dad and my favorite games every season are the one or two i get to watch with him. this story really hit me

Indeed.  As I lost my father almost 10 years ago I still have in my wallet right now the ticket stub from the last game we ever went to, The Giants in 2007.

Football was a common and binding ground.

• Like (+1) 1

Indeed, a great story. Football in many households is what binds a family so tightly. Rooting for the team that you love so much. ALS truly is a horrible disease. Many blessings to you and your family this and all future holiday seasons.