• Announcements

• SDS

Problems logging in?   11/05/2017

I know a few people are getting logged out too quickly. I don't have the answer to that yet.   However, one change that occurred is that there is no longer a log in name and a separate display name. The upgrade discarded the log in name and now uses the display name. So, to log in:   Username: <display name> Password: <your password>   If you need to contact me to find out what your display name is use: Contact Us  and we can get things sorted out.
YoloinOhio

Ryan Shazier update - spinal surgery

This news doesn't sound that great to me at all.

It could be much worse right now, for sure, but he obviously still has really limited movement in his legs.  Let's hope it gets better.

43 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

This news doesn't sound that great to me at all.

It could be much worse right now, for sure, but he obviously still has really limited movement in his legs.  Let's hope it gets better.

Yeah, that is the scary part. I was reading that the most improvement typically happens in first 24-48 hrs.

Aditi KinkhabwalaVerified account @AKinkhabwala
FollowFollow @AKinkhabwala
More

Steelers won't know more re Ryan Shazier until the swelling goes down. But Tommy Maddox had similar injury, made full recovery once swelling was gone. That is giving these players much optimism.

9:49 PM - 4 Dec 2017

Some optimism at least. 

Edited by Captain Murica
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Let's hope and pray that this is not the case.

Oh wow that's awful.

So sad to see

Forget football.  Hopefully he can walk normally.  And I hope he had a good disability/insurance policy.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Forget football.  Hopefully he can walk normally.  And I hope he had a good disability/insurance policy.

Much more important with the proper perspective.

Yeah, this whole thing is not going super well and it that was kind of obvious the moment the hit took place.  

If the guy can regain most of the use of his legs and get around OK, he will be very lucky.  If he can't continue to play in the NFL, that's OK.

Still hoping for full recovery for the guy, of course.

And yet people in some other threads keep telling me the players are owed nothing but their contracts.  Statements like that make me sick for these very reasons.  I stated that the team owes it to the Vets who lay it on line every week to start the QB this week the staff feels gives us the best chance to win.  Several posters snapped back that the vets and players are owed nothing other than the contracts.  What BS.  These guys put their well being on the line each and ever week for the fans, their franchise, their families, and their teammates.  Its about time more respect is shown to them, but because they get big paychecks people think they aren't owed anything.  Even worse, those checks aren't guaranteed.  

Next time I see someone b*tch about a player who is holding out, I want them to come back and remember what this kid is going through.  His career is in serious jeopardy and looknig like it could be over and would be losing his primary source to provide for his family since contracts are not guaranteed, and will also be battling to just have a normal life again.

Prayers to him and his family.  Hoping for better news and a full recovery.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Forget football, I'm just hoping the guy can walk without crutches eventually. Awful situation.

...EXACTLY bud.......hope and pray the youngster heals to lead a normal life without football FIRST......Everett miraculously got his chance and is by all accounts leading a decent life....Stingley was never that lucky, paralyzed for life and died FAR too early at age 55......Tatum never apologized and some say diabetes and leg amputation was a higher power's payback...all for a game....

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And yet people in some other threads keep telling me the players are owed nothing but their contracts.  Statements like that make me sick for these very reasons.  I stated that the team owes it to the Vets who lay it on line every week to start the QB this week the staff feels gives us the best chance to win.  Several posters snapped back that the vets and players are owed nothing other than the contracts.  What BS.  These guys put their well being on the line each and ever week for the fans, their franchise, their families, and their teammates.  Its about time more respect is shown to them, but because they get big paychecks people think they aren't owed anything.  Even worse, those checks aren't guaranteed.  

Next time I see someone b*tch about a player who is holding out, I want them to come back and remember what this kid is going through.  His career is in serious jeopardy and looknig like it could be over and would be losing his primary source to provide for his family since contracts are not guaranteed, and will also be battling to just have a normal life again.

Prayers to him and his family.  Hoping for better news and a full recovery.

Shazier was owed nothing more than his contract. That he signed. That he negotiated. That he chose. That he desired. 

Shazier hopefully made good life choices and adulted well.  Hopefully he has good benefits for long term care. Hopefully he has divested his salary among many opportunities for his future.

Sorry not sorry. I will tell the player he is a fool. Sorry not sorry, shazier knew the chances he took on the field.  When he stepped on the field he knew what could happen, life is about choices. 

Shazier made his. Spare me the empathy of someone's freewill and voluntary opportunity.  His profession is hardly that dangerous compared to plenty of other jobs. His profession is actually one of the safest around for what it is.

Of course, I hope he recovers and moves on with life. But I won't let an opportunity to get on my own soapbox to holler over to yours. 

Edited by Boyst62
  • Like 2

Best wishes to RS with his injury and his life. He'll have the best care in the world and I hope he makes a full recovery. 

We notice him as fans of the sport but playing in the NFL is not near the top of most dangerous jobs but pays extremely well. 

I don't hear anyone bemoaning the fate of loggers, pilots, fisherman, iron workers, truckers or any of the other most dangerous jobs in America. About 5,000 workers die each year from job related accidents. None of them are NFL players (until we count CTE). None of these have the health or pension benefits of NFL players. None have the earning potential of NFL players.

NFL players earn high incomes for playing a dangerous sport but mostly because it draws in a lot of fans. Logging is a hell of a lot more dangerous but nobody pays to watch them so they are injured and die without fanfare. 

I'm not trying to minimize Shazier's injury or situation, just trying to put it in context. Oddly, Shazier's life may be better in 20 years if he's forced to retire than it might be if he continues playing because of the dangers of CTE.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

Best wishes to RS with his injury and his life. He'll have the best care in the world and I hope he makes a full recovery. 

We notice him as fans of the sport but playing in the NFL is not near the top of most dangerous jobs but pays extremely well. 

I don't hear anyone bemoaning the fate of loggers, pilots, fisherman, iron workers, truckers or any of the other most dangerous jobs in America. About 5,000 workers die each year from job related accidents. None of them are NFL players (until we count CTE). None of these have the health or pension benefits of NFL players. None have the earning potential of NFL players.

NFL players earn high incomes for playing a dangerous sport but mostly because it draws in a lot of fans. Logging is a hell of a lot more dangerous but nobody pays to watch them so they are injured and die without fanfare. 

I'm not trying to minimize Shazier's injury or situation, just trying to put it in context. Oddly, Shazier's life may be better in 20 years if he's forced to retire than it might be if he continues playing because of the dangers of CTE.

And there is no proof linking CTE to football in a way that is conclusive!

58 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Shazier was owed nothing more than his contract. That he signed. That he negotiated. That he chose. That he desired. 

Shazier hopefully made good life choices and adulted well.  Hopefully he has good benefits for long term care. Hopefully he has divested his salary among many opportunities for his future.

Sorry not sorry. I will tell the player he is a fool. Sorry not sorry, shazier knew the chances he took on the field.  When he stepped on the field he knew what could happen, life is about choices. 

Shazier made his. Spare me the empathy of someone's freewill and voluntary opportunity.  His profession is hardly that dangerous compared to plenty of other jobs. His profession is actually one of the safest around for what it is.

Of course, I hope he recovers and moves on with life. But I won't let an opportunity to get on my own soapbox to holler over to yours. 

First of all, you aren't not remotely close to what I stated.  If you read what I wrote, it was based on a comment in ANOTHER thread where I stated that while we are IN the hunt for a playoff spot, the coaches owe it to the veterans to put the team out on the field with the best chance to win.  It was about which QB to start.  I stated that if they feel NP gives them best chance, it should be him...if TT is that guy, it should be him.  And I said they owe to the vets who go out every game, every week, every season even when futile to win to keep striving what was beat into them all offseason and year...make the playoffs.

People responded that the players are owed nothing.  And quite frankly that is total bull**** thing to say, and honestly your whole rant here, even as off topic and inaccurate it is of a reply to what I said is also another self entitled fan bunch of BS.

I swear, fans make me sick with how they coldly view players at times.  They think because players make more money then them that they are deserving no respect for what they do for a living.  You think football isn't that dangerous?  Then you are a fool.  Sure, there are professions that have higher risk of fatality, but football as a sport is incredibly violent and players are hurt badly every week and many end their careers with life altering pain, issues, and now brain damage.  

But you as a fan have this entitled opinion of screw em because they make so much money and remove all humanity for what they put on the line to ENTERTAIN you.  Yes they get paid well, but ONLY when they stay healthy and the teams honor their contracts.  

Honestly lost some respect for you on your reply.  Players deserve more from the fans...

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Let's hope and pray that this is not the case.

Wish him a speedy and full recovery, but I hope for his own personal health he decides to never step foot on the field for a game again. 

Edited by H2o

Just now, H2o said:

Wish him a speedy and full recovery, but I hope for his own personal health he decides to never steps foot on the field for a game again. 

That would be a prudent decision.