Are the Bills bad or just not really good?

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

To put in perspective how bad the Bills' offense is, just listen to Tony Romo.

He sounds in physical pain talking about all the missed opportunities and bad decisions we make. Open receivers that aren't even being looked at, forced throws into double or triple coverage, dump passes as the primary target, bad passes, not throwing the ball away... I mean he points out over & over how the plays should've been executed but weren't.

This is an excellent point and one thing I love about Romo as an analyst. Often a guy that isn't very far removed from their playing days are reluctant to criticize. He most certainly isn't. He doesn't need to come right out and bash Tyrod, but anyone listening can figure it out . I though his first Bills game on that Thursday nighter at NYJ was very revealing about the Bills offense. He was practically begging Taylor to throw the ball at times. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills are stuck in the middle, like a lot of teams.  What puts some teams consistently over ther top is a combination of an excellent quarterback and consistent quality coaching.  The Bills have had neither.  Top that with sharing a division with the Patriots, who have both, and you can see why its been 17 years of purgatory.

Tyrod just isn't good enough. Expecting miracles from Peterman isn't a sound strategy.  Go find someone better.  Nothing personal, just business.

The Bills OL is less than average. 

The Bills DL is less than average. 

The LBing corps is less than average. 

The receiving corps is less than average. 

The defensive backfield is solid. 

Our starting qbs is less than average. 

On a grand scale the Bills are closer to being an expansion team than a playoff qualifying team capable of winning a game in the post season. The Bills are in their first year of a multi-year rebuilding project. The rebuilding will never be a success until an authentic franchise qb is taking the snaps. Tyrod Taylor is not the sole source of our team's problems. However, he is undeniably not a franchise qb. For those who have the temerity to argue otherwise I recommend that you become silent or you will continue to look foolish. I say this not with derision but with consolation. 

11 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I am not a Taylor hater, but I believe that two things have happened: 

1 Mathews has been injured (uncharacteristic for him)

2 Taylor will not throw to anyone that isn’t WIDE open.  Good NFL QBs can complete passes to receivers that are marginally open.

Agree with 1. I don't like any of the current Bills QB's. TT was a good temp though. IMO don't discount the horrid offensive schemes, and also at this point question just how good the new rookie HC will be.(the challenge was from a HC or his staff that simply didn't know the rules was terrible) Agree on Tyrod but he is who he is. The whole recieving corp is slow. no speedsters to open it up. The team needs a lot of new talent, that's for sure. 

The NFL is definitely a passing game now, if you don't have a great passing qb and an O line to protect him your just treading water in the NFL. It's been said a billion times but no pass threat no run game, and no run threat no pass game. Teams know if they can get a lead on the bills it's over cuz the pass threat is non existent. Definitely not all tyrods fault, there's many holes on the roster but a passing qb is needed this day in age in the NFL.

18 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

This is an excellent point and one thing I love about Romo as an analyst. Often a guy that isn't very far removed from their playing days are reluctant to criticize. He most certainly isn't. He doesn't need to come right out and bash Tyrod, but anyone listening can figure it out . I though his first Bills game on that Thursday nighter at NYJ was very revealing about the Bills offense. He was practically begging Taylor to throw the ball at times. 

Said the same exact thing. I'm from California and no one watches bills game so they see high lights of tyrod on ESPN and think he's a great player stuck on a crappy team, until Tony Romo on prime time in a polite way pointed out MANY flaws and said alot of things that have been on bills fans minds for years.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Bills OL is less than average- thanks to the new regime.

The Bills DL is less than average-thanks to the new regime.

The recieving core is less than average- thanks to the new regime. 

Our starting QB is a shell of what he was the last two seasons- thanks to the new regime. 

You need to stop with your glamorization of the roster that the new regime took over. It was a mish-mash roster that was not a realistic playoff team. At best it was a fringe wild-card team with little chance of sustained success. This new regime is in the process of cleaning out the miscast parts and rebuilding after the strip down. No matter how much you and your fanciful brethren believe otherwise that is what is happening now. 

33 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

To put in perspective how bad the Bills' offense is, just listen to Tony Romo.

He sounds in physical pain talking about all the missed opportunities and bad decisions we make. Open receivers that aren't even being looked at, forced throws into double or triple coverage, dump passes as the primary target, bad passes, not throwing the ball away... I mean he points out over & over how the plays should've been executed but weren't.

As you perceptively noted Romo was diplomatic when pointing out Taylor's limitations. Without harshly rebuking Taylor's play he was pointing out this seven year veteran's fatal flaws that are intrinsic to how he plays the position. I thought Romo was excellent at analyzing the game and presented his criticisms with class.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As you perceptively noted Romo was diplomatic when pointing out Taylor's limitations. Without harshly rebuking Taylor's play he was pointing out this seven year veteran's fatal flaws that are intrinsic to how he plays the position. I thought Romo was excellent at analyzing the game and presented his criticisms with class.  

He was very diplomatic in how he criticized, but you could hear him trying to contain words, often sound exasperated, and trying to be as gentle as possible while delivering critiques. There were times when you could hear sighs coming through, and you could almost visualize him just shaking his head in frustration.  

13 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

He was very diplomatic in how he criticized, but you could hear him trying to contain words, often sound exasperated, and trying to be as gentle as possible while delivering critiques. There were times when you could hear sighs coming through, and you could almost visualize him just shaking his head in frustration.  

He reviews the tapes as do the coaches. Romo, the retired qb, sees plays that are there to be made. When you see the same deficiency over and over there comes a point that there is nothing else to say. Taylor is a high character person and an earnest player. He simply can't play beyond his limitations. I just don't see him on the roster next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

He reviews the tapes as do the coaches. Romo, the retired qb, sees plays that are there to be made. When you see the same deficiency over and over there comes a point that there is nothing else to say. Taylor is a high character person and an earnest player. He simply can't play beyond his limitations. I just don't see him on the roster next year. 

Well said. I always feel a slight sense of guilt when I'm typing out in detail all the things Tyrod does wrong, and why he's a bad QB, and that's because he's a great person. He keeps himself out of trouble, is respectful, classy, and a team leader. He just fails to execute the duties required to be a capable NFL QB.

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Well said. I always feel a slight sense of guilt when I'm typing out in detail all the things Tyrod does wrong, and why he's a bad QB, and that's because he's a great person. He keeps himself out of trouble, is respectful, classy, and a team leader. He just fails to execute the duties required to be a capable NFL QB.

There is a role for Taylor as a qb in this league. He can for the next half dozen years earn a good paycheck as a backup and a change of pace qb. I simply don't see him as an entrenched starter. He could be a bridge qb for another team but he is always going to be a qb that you want to upgrade.