Knowing a setlist before a concert, good or bad?

Just Jack

Nope!  That’s half the fun. Wondering what they’re going to play next. Widespread Panic creates the first set song list by taking a laminated list of all their songs. They cross off all the songs they’ve played the last three shows and those songs are out. Then they create the second set during intermission based on the vibe they get from the crowd. 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Nope!  That’s half the fun. Wondering what they’re going to play next. Widespread Panic creates the first set song list by taking a laminated list of all their songs. They cross off all the songs they’ve played the last three shows and those songs are out. Then they create the second set during intermission based on the vibe they get from the crowd. 

W-P is great live and this is interesting info. I wonder if bands like MMJ or Umphrey’s do it also.....

I used to like looking up setlists of bands I was not that familiar with.  This way I can try to listen to some of the songs I may not know and get a feel for them before the show.  

With bands I am a big fan of I know all the songs and do not care which ones they play.

36 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

W-P is great live and this is interesting info. I wonder if bands like MMJ or Umphrey’s do it also.....

I know UM does not.  UM does do an annual UMBowl where they do four set (quarters) and one of the quarters is where they have people in the audience pick songs via text during the show.  That's pretty cool.  

https://www.jambase.com/article/umphreys-mcgee-umbowl-vi-setlist-recap

Bad. I prefer the spontaneity of not knowing what song is next. And yet I check setlists obsessively the days leading up to a concert.

For bands like Umphreys checking the setlist only tells me what they won't be playing that night.  For a band that plays the same thing night after night it lets me know when the lull in the set is so I can grab another beer.

hell no! why are you worried about what time the show will end...commit to the evening, spontaneity makes the evening of music so much more fun.  My boss is a die hard U2 fan and he goes to multiple shows each tour and sees virtually the same exact show each night....why pay money to see the same thing

28 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Bad. I prefer the spontaneity of not knowing what song is next. And yet I check setlists obsessively the days leading up to a concert.

For bands like Umphreys checking the setlist only tells me what they won't be playing that night.  For a band that plays the same thing night after night it lets me know when the lull in the set is so I can grab another beer.

therein lies the beauty of a dead show....you know you have an intermission to visit the loo and also there's always a drums>space if you need a return visit.  :)

Edited by The Poojer
  • Like (+1) 1

Hell know

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I like it because it tells me when I can cut-out to avoid traffic leaving the venue.

Why go then

If I know what is going to play I probably won’t go. I avoid set list like the plague

Edited by Helpmenow
  • Like (+1) 1

I just saw the Electric Strawbs in Homer, NY.   Looked over the set list just to see what they might play.  They don't play the same thing every night but have 3 or 4 songs they might substitute.  So I don't think it matters.   It does prevent the "Garden Party" syndrome.

I was tempted to see them in Rochester two days before the Homer date.   It would be interesting to see if there was a difference on performances this close together.  I know a couple of guys at the Homer show also saw them in Rochester.   In some cases, if you like them, you have to see them while they are still here.   They could play three straight night, 15 songs a night and not run out of decent material.

BTW, the Homer location is a very good venue for bands.  I am going to have to check out the artists coming there in the future.

4 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Hell know

Why go then

If I know what is going to play I probably won’t go. I avoid set list like the plague

Let me help you now.  I go and see pretty much the entire concert.  When I see that they're following a setlist and are about to play the last song on it, I head for the exit to get out before the mass of people start leaving. 

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

Let me help you now.  I go and see pretty much the entire concert.  When I see that they're following a setlist and are about to play the last song on it, I head for the exit to get out before the mass of people start leaving. 

Good for you then.  I stay and enjoy the whole show and talk to friends after show.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

To each his own.  I can't stay up until midnight trying to get home from a show. 

What's up Doc?....sorry for that...I'm a big Bugs Bunny fan and couldn't resist.

I'm with you on this. Me and my concert bro regularly make our way towards the exit as the concert winds down. But far less likely to do so if we don't know what's coming.

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

What's up Doc?....sorry for that...I'm a big Bugs Bunny fan and couldn't resist.

I'm with you on this. Me and my concert bro regularly make our way towards the exit as the concert winds down. But far less likely to do so if we don't know what's coming.

No worries.  I'm used to it and a huge BB fan (actually played in a band in college named "Kill Da Wabbit"). 

Yeah, if I don't know the setlist, I work my way to the exit after the first encore is done.