Pick a Non-Draft T.Taylor Replacement

Dkollidas

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Bradford?  Seriously?  His knees are held together by spit and duct tape.  No thanks.

The only one I would even consider over drafting a QB early is Cousins.

Hell no...Cousins is another Philip Rivers...puts up huge numbers but his teams never win. Since 2009 Rivers has 5 more wins than the cast of QBs the Bills have had that include Losman, Edwards, Manuel, Tuel, Lewis, Fitz, and Taylor combined(plus anyone else I forgot in there).  Simply not good enough. Cousins win percentage is less than that.

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d imagine that he is less than half of the price too. 

Which would obviously be a huge element in the decision if they have to pay a top rookie QB. That’s why you don’t keep Tyrod around. They are likely to feel that Tyrod doesn’t offer a big enough upside to pay him at that point. Beane and McD could determine that they feel just as confident with a guy like Bridgewater. 

Obviously Cousins would be the top option. 

I have a feeling for some reason that he ends up with the Broncos. Just seems their style after the Peyton deal and the fact that they can’t seem to develop & keep their own (Lynch, Osweiler, Cutler, etc). 

I think a lot of people see Eli going to Jacksonville. He’s got familiarity with Coughlin there, and they’re a team on the rise. The only thing I wonder is he’ll want to be in an offense that doesn’t really want to pass the ball. 

Just now, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Which would obviously be a huge element in the decision if they have to pay a top rookie QB. That’s why you don’t keep Tyrod around. They are likely to feel that Tyrod doesn’t offer a big enough upside to pay him at that point. Beane and McD could determine that they feel just as confident with a guy like Bridgewater. 

I mean how much are you paying a top rookie QB?  They aren't going to get probably any of the top 3, and even the #1 pick is paid peanuts today compared to what they used to get.  This is a non-factor, IMO

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Eli Manning, if we could get him.

He gets zero respect but would be a huge improvement over what we have now.

A new start and change of scenery might do him some good, along with getting out of the NYC pressure cooker.

Edit: PS:  I woud not want him over drafting our own QB

He’s going to get $18M or so and has been a worse player than TT. He makes no sense for the Bills. They are drafting their guy and need a stopgap vet.

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Alex Smith!!! The Chiefs are wasting his talent with their rapidly declining running game.

After seeing Smith Sunday I'd rather keep Taylor.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Really, because I would take Phillip Rivers in a half a second right now.  I don’t see the Cousins parallels, anyway. 

Wait, can we get Phillip Rivers??

So we can do what?  Finish 9-7 or 8-8 with him just like we will with Tyrod? Except pay him way more?  Cousins has a below .500 record as a starter---meaning he doesn't win games.

Edited by matter2003

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I mean how much are you paying a top rookie QB?  They aren't going to get probably any of the top 3, and even the #1 pick is paid peanuts today compared to what they used to get.  This is a non-factor, IMO

I’m sure that the franchise could afford to pay a young QB and Tyrod, but would they want to? The regime may believe that the drop off from Tyrod to someone like Bridgewater isn’t significant enough to warrant paying him. You must build a complete team to create a winner. Money can always be used in other areas outside of the QB position. If they believe that Tyrod is a 8-8 QB, it wouldn’t be worth spending extra cash to retain him. 

While there are some on that list that might offer a SLIGHT upgrade over Tyrod, only Eli could realistically take us to a SB and that assumes that he can still play and would even consider coming to Buffalo. Both unlikely. I am still thinking draft our franchise QB unless we can pry Luck away from the Colts -- another long shot.

28 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

So we can do what?  Finish 9-7 or 8-8 with him just like we will with Tyrod? Except pay him way more?  Cousins has a below .500 record as a starter---meaning he doesn't win games.

If you can’t see the difference between Kirk Cousins and Tyrod, I don’t know if we have anything else to discuss here.

Alex Smith.  True, he had a bad game against us, but he's had too many good games to ignore.  He took KC to the playoffs last year.

Not sold on Cousins at all and not worth the money he will ask.  He will win some games, but chokes in bigger moments; such as week 17 last season vs Giants.

1 hour ago, Dkollidas said:

Basing this on a few things:

1. Assuming Redskins DO NOT Franchise Tag Cousins again.

2. AJ McCarron wins his grievance against the Bengals and becomes a UFA.

3. Eli Manning asks for and is granted his release from the Giants.

4. Alex Smith is released by Kansas Coty

5. Brees re-signs with the Saints (otherwise it’s basically a guarantee he’s the top option anyways).

6. Minnesota re-signs/tags Keenum, Bridgewater & Bradford become RFA’s. 

Cousins

McCarron

Manning

Smith

Bridgewater

Bradford

To me this could be the best group of QB’s to move around the league in a while. If you manage to get a guy like Cousins, drafting a QB is unnecessary. 

You could go after a younger guy to compete with a Peterman and possibly a mid-Round Draft Pick with someone like McCarron or Bridgewater. 

You could also also go after a guy like Smith, Bradford or Eli to groom whoever you do Draft, whatever point that’s at. 

Basically I’m just pointing out that, adding Taylor to this group, there’s a lot of options for a lot of teams out there this off-season, not even counting the draft.  I want the team to go after another quarterback, but if you’re not totally comfortable with the price to move up, or the guys that are available when you pick in the 1st, or to play any of those guys right off the bat, there’s a myriad of possibilities this off-season.

Regardless, what would you like to see the Bills do this off-season regarding these options?

Cousins. Then Bridgewater.

51 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

After seeing Smith Sunday I'd rather keep Taylor.

Incorrect. His team has a below .500 record when he starts, meaning his team does not win games.

42 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Incorrect. His team has a below .500 record when he starts, meaning his team does not win games.

Which he is a large part of.  Watch his games.  When the team needs him to make critical plays to either extend drives or score points in the 4th quarter(ie, the plays that actually win or lose most games) more often than not he doesn't .  He is also not a very good redzone QB. Great between the 20s but not so much in the red zone.  No matter how you want to slice it, his team should have a better record than it does with him playing QB.

56 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

If you can’t see the difference between Kirk Cousins and Tyrod, I don’t know if we have anything else to discuss here.

There are a lot of differences. Cousins is gonna put up a lot of stats, TDs and 300 yard passing games.  But stats don't win games.  Tyrod has a higher winning percentage than Cousins has a as a starting QB. Why would you want to replace him with a more talented guy who has managed to lose more games than he has?  Makes ZERO sense.  Something isn't right with that picture, if you can't see that wins and stats aren't always related, then there really isn't anything else to see.

Cousins is the expensive sports car that drives really fast but needs tons of repairs. Tyrod is the 10 year old Honda Civic.  Cousins is the dude everyone wants to have until they actually have him and then they start seeing all the problems that come with him...don't believe me...talk to most of the Redskins fans about him. They'll tell you.

In 2015, Washington scored 24.3 PPG, the Bills 23.7

In 2016, Washington scored 24.8 PPG, the Bills 24.9

In 2017, Washington scores 23.5 PPG, the Bills 20.4

On Defense, Washington allowed 276, 383 and 379 points in 43 games, the Bills 260, 378, and 359 points in 43 games.  This means the Bills have an edge of about 0.95 fewer points per game allowed over this time span allowed. So all in all a push, if not a slight Redskin advantage of .11 points per game.  

So Cousins has been worth an average of 1.06 points per game more than Tyrod over the same time span and has a record of 22-20-1 while Taylor has a record of 21-18.

And you are going to spend $25+ million a year for 1 more win, 1 more tie and 2 more losses over 3 years and an extra point a game?  I don't get it...gotta be something I am missing here..and until this year, Cousins was not dealing with any team even close to the Patriots like we have twice a year...

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Which he is a large part of.  Watch his games.  When the team needs him to make critical plays to either extend drives or score points in the 4th quarter(ie, the plays that actually win or lose most games) more often than not he doesn't .  He is also not a very good redzone QB. Great between the 20s but not so much in the red zone.  No matter how you want to slice it, his team should have a better record than it does with him playing QB.

There are a lot of differences. Cousins is gonna put up a lot of stats, TDs and 300 yard passing games.  But stats don't win games.  Tyrod has a higher winning percentage than Cousins has a as a starting QB. Why would you want to replace him with a more talented guy who has managed to lose more games than he has?  Makes ZERO sense.  Something isn't right with that picture, if you can't see that wins and stats aren't always related, then there really isn't anything else to see.

Cousins is the expensive sports car that drives really fast but needs tons of repairs. Tyrod is the 10 year old Honda Civic.  Cousins is the dude everyone wants to have until they actually have him and then they start seeing all the problems that come with him...don't believe me...talk to most of the Redskins fans about him. They'll tell you.

In 2015, Washington scored 24.3 PPG, the Bills 23.7

In 2016, Washington scored 24.8 PPG, the Bills 24.9

In 2017, Washington scores 23.5 PPG, the Bills 20.4

On Defense, Washington allowed 276, 383 and 379 points in 43 games, the Bills 260, 378, and 359 points in 43 games.  This means the Bills have an edge of about 0.95 fewer points per game allowed over this time span allowed. So all in all a push, if not a slight Redskin advantage of .11 points per game.  

So Cousins has been worth an average of 1.06 points per game more than Tyrod over the same time span and has a record of 22-20-1 while Taylor has a record of 21-18.

And you are going to spend $25+ million a year for 1 more win, 1 more tie and 2 more losses over 3 years and an extra point a game?  I don't get it...gotta be something I am missing here..and until this year, Cousins was not dealing with any team even close to the Patriots like we have twice a year...

Yes, Cousins is a large part of that. 

He plays QB very very well. That's the part that he plays. And that's a good thing, a very good thing indeed.

66% completions with a freaking 8.1 YPA. That's terrific. 19 TDs and 6 INTs. A QB Rating of 101.1.

PPG is simply not a good way to rate QBs. Teams with maybe 70 - 80% a reflection of the offense, yes. QBs, no. Their run game is awful, averaging 3.9 YPC. That's not on Cousins. Their pass game DVOA is 27% better than the average and the rush game is 13% worse. So when the offense comes out only 5% better, it isn't rocket science to know that is not on Cousins.

Teams scheme to stop Cousins. They scheme to make Tyrod play quarterback. That's the difference.

And again, winning is simply NOT a QB stat. It just isn't. It's a team stat. Until you get that, you're missing the point. Even the name of that stat is actually "TEAM record in games started by this QB (Regular Season)." 

Edited by Thurman#1