Rookies played really well against chiefs

Our rookies contributed nicely to the win yesterday in a close game.  They weren't perfect and what rookies are but they seem to be improving which is all I can ask for out of the youngsters.

Dawkins filled in at LT and seemed to do a pretty good job.  He had the one holding call that was costly but other than that he looked pretty good on the left side of that line.  If Glen continues to stay injured and Dawkins continues to improve, we would have an interesting debate at the LT spot.  Hopefully the two can fill out the tackle positions moving forward.  

Zay Jones continues to learn and get better.  He had a nice touchdown and seems to be Tyrod's go to receiver target now even though Tyrod throws to his running back and tight ends more.  Will be a nice option for whoever is playing QB next year.

Milano flashed another play.  To me he's still not seeing enough playing time.  There were a few passes over the middle where Lorax looked absolutely lost on and I found myself asking where Milano was.  On his 5 yard loss, he showed why you need fast linebackers.  He shot the gap and had the runningback tackled before he could even make a move. Hope his play continues to improve and his snap count goes up.

Tre White.  What else is there to say about the guy besides he's a flat out competitor?  Makes a huge clutch play when KC was driving down the field to score the winning TD.  More importantly for me, he did it in a must win game.  He stepped up.  With a better pass rush next year, I could see him breaking out for a few more interceptions and really cementing himself as a playmaker at the corner position.  

I saw four rookies that contributed in yesterday's win.  That makes me excited for this offseason and to see what this regime can do with so many draft picks.  

I also want to say that Shaq Lawson seems to be playing much better this season.  Even though his sack numbers aren't there yet, he has 30 tackles on the season which is pretty good for a DE through the games he's played.  He's proven he can set the edge against the run.  Once they get some better DT play which likely will be addressed this offseason, I think we could see Lawson have a breakout year next year.  He's just been a step slow like in the Chargers game, he hit RIvers arm and caused the pop up throw that a receiver ended up catching near the line of scrimmage.  With better interior line play, he will be just fine imo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Tre needs to get on the ground after a game sealing pick. My only complaint from yesterday. 

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Milano needs to play a lot more.

I think Yarborough got the start of over Shaq but since they are heavy rotation....I'm not sure if it matters.

Dawkins is looking good.

Jones mental block seems to have disappeared.

White is a just a good football player.

I don't think it does.  Shaq ended with 2 solo tackles and 2 assisted tackles.  Those don't look like backup numbers to me for a defensive end.

Milano is starting to give me hope that the Bills will only need 2 new LB's heading into next year, I hope he see's more of the field myself moving forward this year. Was he on the field in sub packages much while in? I wasnt able to watch the game yesterday and was wondering how he did in coverage. 

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Tre needs to get on the ground after a game sealing pick. My only complaint from yesterday. 

For sure.  I was screaming at the TV (I know) for him to get down.  Stupid showboating/stat-padding trying to get the TD when it was completely unnecessary. 

19 minutes ago, cage said:

You mean vs. running it back 63 yards??

Yes.  Catch the ball and fall down.  Game still over and no chance of them stripping/him fumbling the ball.

55 minutes ago, P51 said:

Milano is starting to give me hope that the Bills will only need 2 new LB's heading into next year, I hope he see's more of the field myself moving forward this year. Was he on the field in sub packages much while in? I wasnt able to watch the game yesterday and was wondering how he did in coverage. 

Milano is just one of those guys who just makes plays when he is on the field...

Reminds me a little of Zach Thomas...smart, instinctual, always in the right place...Thomas was another afterthought coming into the league at LB...5th rounder too

Edited by matter2003

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Our rookies contributed nicely to the win yesterday in a close game.  They weren't perfect and what rookies are but they seem to be improving which is all I can ask for out of the youngsters.

Dawkins filled in at LT and seemed to do a pretty good job.  He had the one holding call that was costly but other than that he looked pretty good on the left side of that line.  If Glen continues to stay injured and Dawkins continues to improve, we would have an interesting debate at the LT spot.  Hopefully the two can fill out the tackle positions moving forward.  

Zay Jones continues to learn and get better.  He had a nice touchdown and seems to be Tyrod's go to receiver target now even though Tyrod throws to his running back and tight ends more.  Will be a nice option for whoever is playing QB next year.

Milano flashed another play.  To me he's still not seeing enough playing time.  There were a few passes over the middle where Lorax looked absolutely lost on and I found myself asking where Milano was.  On his 5 yard loss, he showed why you need fast linebackers.  He shot the gap and had the runningback tackled before he could even make a move. Hope his play continues to improve and his snap count goes up.

Tre White.  What else is there to say about the guy besides he's a flat out competitor?  Makes a huge clutch play when KC was driving down the field to score the winning TD.  More importantly for me, he did it in a must win game.  He stepped up.  With a better pass rush next year, I could see him breaking out for a few more interceptions and really cementing himself as a playmaker at the corner position.  

I saw four rookies that contributed in yesterday's win.  That makes me excited for this offseason and to see what this regime can do with so many draft picks.  

I also want to say that Shaq Lawson seems to be playing much better this season.  Even though his sack numbers aren't there yet, he has 30 tackles on the season which is pretty good for a DE through the games he's played.  He's proven he can set the edge against the run.  Once they get some better DT play which likely will be addressed this offseason, I think we could see Lawson have a breakout year next year.  He's just been a step slow like in the Chargers game, he hit RIvers arm and caused the pop up throw that a receiver ended up catching near the line of scrimmage.  With better interior line play, he will be just fine imo

Nope completely wrong.  There are other threads here that prove our draft class this past spring was terrible.

Regarding Dawkins

He is proving to be a serviceable LT but I really think he could be a Pro Bowl RT.......it was my hope that Glenn and Dawkins would be our future bookends but Glenn seems to have hit the injury wall.

In the offseason i would like to see them spend money on the LT position and moving Dawkins to RT......drafting a interior linemen or 2 with our many draft picks and moving Groy into the starting line up for that weak sloth Decausse

2 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Regarding Dawkins

He is proving to be a serviceable LT but I really think he could be a Pro Bowl RT.......it was my hope that Glenn and Dawkins would be our future bookends but Glenn seems to have hit the injury wall.

In the offseason i would like to see them spend money on the LT position and moving Dawkins to RT......drafting a interior linemen or 2 with our many draft picks and moving Groy into the starting line up for that weak sloth Decausse

This is the way i'm hoping it will go and Glenn can get back in there soon.  

5 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Agreed my Billsness hit hard with me screaming to go down because well of course we would fumble an INT and lose then haha.

3 hours ago, P51 said:

That would be nice. The draft is hard because I really would like the Bills to get one of Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, or Mayfield. The price though could mean instead of having 2 1sts, 2nds, and a 3rd. We only have a 1, 2, and 3 which means for LB or DT you are only getting one at 2. If they could keep both 1sts and go QB then LB or DT they still would have ammunition in with their 2nd to get a potential starter. Then they go sign a decent LB in FA to go with the draftee and Milano.

(FYI my assumption is if the Bills move up they are giving either this years or next years 1st and at least a 2nd possible a 3rd also. So 1st rnd pick for QB for Bills 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. May seem like overpayment but I really think they are moving into the Top 5 for one of these QB's especially if the Colts/Bucs are there.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Milano is just one of those guys who just makes plays when he is on the field...

Reminds me a little of Zach Thomas...smart, instinctual, always in the right place...Thomas was another afterthought coming into the league at LB...5th rounder too

That would be a home run if he turned out to be a Thomas-like player.  He needs more playing time to play more consistently like that.  Hopefully, they add some young linebackers next to him to help with his development.  Three young fast linebackers would obviously be ideal.  They drafted two later in the draft last year showing that they want to invest in the position.  Would be exciting to see 3 youngsters flying around.  

While the play from this year's draft class has been encouraging, the true test is year two.

Because it's not like we haven't seen promising rookies fall off a cliff or have their career completely derailed by injuries in year two in Buffalo.

Let's also not forget that Beane had nothing to do with this years draft because he wasn't here. So it will be interesting to see what he does next year with his first draft and all the picks in his pocket to work with.

5 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

While the play from this year's draft class has been encouraging, the true test is year two.

Because it's not like we haven't seen promising rookies fall off a cliff or have their career completely derailed by injuries in year two in Buffalo.

Let's also not forget that Beane had nothing to do with this years draft because he wasn't here. So it will be interesting to see what he does next year with his first draft and all the picks in his pocket to work with.

No question, I was just pointing out that the class has played well up until this point and has a lot of potential moving forward.  Whether they fulfill that potential...we shall see. 

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

From the games Ive seen he has made plays, a couple in coverage, was wondering what kind of PT he got in the Chiefs game on passing downs, I can see the smart and instinctual comparison to Thomas and that would go a long way if he had that kind of career as a WILL for Buffalo, homerun of a 5th round pick if so! Would speed up the “Process”.

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

That would be nice. The draft is hard because I really would like the Bills to get one of Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, or Mayfield. The price though could mean instead of having 2 1sts, 2nds, and a 3rd. We only have a 1, 2, and 3 which means for LB or DT you are only getting one at 2. If they could keep both 1sts and go QB then LB or DT they still would have ammunition in with their 2nd to get a potential starter. Then they go sign a decent LB in FA to go with the draftee and Milano.

(FYI my assumption is if the Bills move up they are giving either this years or next years 1st and at least a 2nd possible a 3rd also. So 1st rnd pick for QB for Bills 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. May seem like overpayment but I really think they are moving into the Top 5 for one of these QB's especially if the Colts/Bucs are there.

I am with you on the QB situation, I really like what I saw from the 2 games I watched so far of Ryan Finley as well and saw higher level reads and ball placement, and I think Josh Allen has physical skill set they like, both could potentially be had without moving up if you believe the pundits. It’ll be interesting to see how the draft process plays out for me as I think there are 10 guys who could go in the 1st potentially.

I think you are making a safe assumption in them moving up for a QB, if I bet, I would bet on it with confidence. Makes sense, would be perfect if they didn’t have too, but if they do, using as little draft capital as possible would be ideal. Colts IMO are a prime trade down canidate in addition to the 9ers, Bucs I could see staying and getting a pass rusher, but if the price is right who knows?