The Penalty (Bad Call in Chiefs Game)

Numark3

If you dig through the NFL rules regarding the 2 or 3 possible fouls that were called (all under the umbrella of "unnecessary roughness"), you will see that all of them require the defensive player to hit the offensive player, and some require that hitting to be done in a very specific way, like using the crown of the head for example.

You can argue there never really was any "contact" between the two players and that therefore, it is impossible for there to have been unnecessary roughness within the meaning of the rule.

I think the official who threw the flag had a bad angle to the incident and likely assumed more contact than was actually present on the play.  

The 2 players almost completely missed one another.  I think there may have been some subtle grazing, but it's hard to tell that even on replay.  

As the rules are written, without some obvious contact, there is no way to find a foul on the play.

Overall, this goes down as a bad call, relying heavily on what ultimately is incorrect subjective interpretation of the rule.

9 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

The ref was late in throwing the flag too. At the time, I thought that maybe Gaines was arguing about whether or not the Chief player had gotten out of bounds or not and maybe got  too heated (a la Jerry Hughes a few weeks ago). When I heard the ref's explanation I couldn't believe it. 

I also thought it was odd that McD did not make a bigger fuss over the bogus flag. Maybe he just wanted to avoid another 15-yard penalty.

I thought the same thing. My first thought was, "what the hell did he say to the ref?"

17 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

If it wasn't Hughes then it was someone else.  I saw more than handful of plays where our defense was running full speed but going nowhere because they were being held from behind with no flags.

I wish something could be done about holding, but I am not sure what it would be.

It is such a subjective call much of the time and there is a lot of potential holding on every play.

It sometimes seems like it comes down to when the ref wants to call it, and that he can call it anytime he wants.

Gives way too much power to the refs as the rule is currently enforced.

29 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I wish something could be done about holding, but I am not sure what it would be.

It is such a subjective call much of the time and there is a lot of potential holding on every play.

It sometimes seems like it comes down to when the ref wants to call it, and that he can call it anytime he wants.

Gives way too much power to the refs as the rule is currently enforced.

The funny part about the subjectiveness of holding reminds me of watching KC players diving after every punt and kick off.  It's like they were trying to get a call instead of making a play.  

Honestly surprised it wasn't called a bunch in this game but maybe the refs thought "well, buffalo doesnt have a good offense so we can let it go".

Edited by The Wiz

6 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Being a Bills Masochist, I just watched it again on YT. Wow that was epically bad officiating!! Cost the Bills a home playoff game vs the Fins.

I was 8 while watching that game. I'll never forget it, the Jefferson catch on the sidelines is what always drove me mad.

I'm guessing I repressed a lot of this, but it reminded me of why I hate Pete Carrol. Just like when he did the fake punt while destroying the Bills in Toronto. 

I always felt, if they send Russell Wilson back out there you send a scrub out there and tell him to break his leg. It is very much a Neanderthal way of thinking but it's just how I felt. Now you reignited my Pete Carroll hatred, damn it.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

8 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

Woah that was one of the worst calls I have ever seen (it is called unnecessary roughness on the bills).  How does the NFL address calls like this being made weekly...  Mind you, this is on the chiefs final drive in a one score game past midfield.  It does not get much more crucial timing than this.  Holy smokes

Point fixing

9 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

Woah that was one of the worst calls I have ever seen (it is called unnecessary roughness on the bills).  How does the NFL address calls like this being made weekly...  Mind you, this is on the chiefs final drive in a one score game past midfield.  It does not get much more crucial timing than this.  Holy smokes

Horrendous call.

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Zebras gonna zebra 

Refs need to be held accountable for their calls on the field.

missing games and checks or a demotion for errant game changing calls

I agree, refs need to start being held accountable. The NFL should publicly track missed calls and wrong calls by officials, the best officiating crew should be rewarded with bonuses. Also you should be able to use your challenges on penalties. When they blatantly screw up a call like today you should be able to challenge it. 

15 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

Yeah, it was bogus.   We won, moving on.

10 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

I also thought it was odd that McD did not make a bigger fuss over the bogus flag. Maybe he just wanted to avoid another 15-yard penalty.

Not part of the process, man.  There may come a time when we see him lose his mind on the sidelines, but I doubt it.

15 hours ago, Jasovon said:

That ref is going to get into alot of trouble, the Bills won!

All joking aside, this is truer than we think.  It's obvious to me they were trying to help the chiefs in the game.

Period.  The refs job is to keep the game close and interesting so viewership stays.