Why do the Bills Never Have THE GUY?

Domdab99

8 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

McDermott had his shot at The Guy at #10, and passed for a corner. 

Now, now, you can't go blaming McDermott for THAT.  He had good reasons for having Whaley trade back to the end of the first round:

• he needed a DB immediately since he had none more than he needed a QB for the future since he had one for now;
  • he wanted to collect more draft picks for 2018 which is supposedly going to be the best QB class ever so each first round QB will come with a guarantee;
  • he wanted to wait until his pal Beane from Carolina replaced Whaley so that they could implement their "vision" together.
7 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Would you have rather had Dareus or Von Miller? One is THE GUY and one is not.

THE GUY is a game-changer. A star. Someone who makes a difference and who every team covets.

Hate to rain on your parade, dude, but Miller went at #2.  He wasn't on the board when the Bills picked at #3.  Dareus was becoming a game changer under Jim Schwartz, and he's likely to become a game changer in Jacksonville now that he's on a team with a coach that knows how to use him.

14 hours ago, Sweats said:

If we drafted Howard, then we would have had THE GUY for many years to come...........a solid guy you can build a franchise around.

He'd have about 10 catches right now with TT throwing to him.

McCoy can be pretty special.  If you want agility in your RB rather than power, he's the guy.  He's getting old though to count on going forward.

8 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

McDermott had his shot at The Guy at #10, and passed for a corner. 

Pretty tough to rationally complain about how that move worked out.  Tre is a pretty terrific rookie CB and we have an extra first next year.

16 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

The last THE GUY we had was probably Bruce Smith.

Those of us old enough to remember will know that Bruce wasn't strictly "the guy" himself for very long if ever.  Dennis Hopper Nike ad aside, the narrative back then was that Reggie White was the better DE.

Thurman was always behind Sanders and Smith.  McCoy is as good today compared to his competition as Thurman was in his day.

Kelly wasn't even discussed as the top QB - and widely regarded to this day as only a distant third behind Elway and Marino in his own draft class.  Neither was Andre Reid at WR.

What all of that might tell you is that there are very very very few players who dominate at a position, and even if they do it doesn't last long (JJ Watt? broken twice now).

You don't need to have the best at a position to win championships.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, BobChalmers said:

Those of us old enough to remember will know that Bruce wasn't strictly "the guy" himself for very long if ever.  Dennis Hopper Nike ad aside, the narrative back then was that Reggie White was the better DE.

And history has shown that to be incorrect imo. 

"The Guy" doesn't necessarily have to be the best at his position.  He has to be a game changer, which is a player whose play can change game momentum -- and does it somewhat frequently over the course of his career.  Bruce Smith was that as was Kelly and Thurman.  So is Shady.

Edited by SoTier

12 minutes ago, SoTier said:

"The Guy" doesn't necessarily have to be the best at his position.  He has to be a game changer, which is a player whose play can change game momentum -- and does it somewhat frequently over the course of his career.  Bruce Smith was that as was Kelly and Thurman.  So is Shady.

If Shady is, it's to a much lesser degree.

He's also had a much worse team around him than those 1990s Bills, especially this season when that OL has been trash.  It's easy to forget just how talented those teams were.  I can't watch video of those 1990s teams ... it's hard to believe those were Bills teams after watching the garbage teams the Bills have fielded in this century.  :bag:

The simple answer, and the one ultimate reason you can point to for this historic run of incompetence, is that the Bills are terrible at player development. 

The only reason I haven't gone crazy knowing they could have drafted Aaron Rodgers if they hadn't moved up for JP Losman is believing that he'd have been driven out of the league by now if he started out here. 

They may have had the "guy" many times over here, but they just haven't hired the right people to nurture that talent. 

Edited by QB Bills

9 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Would you have rather had Dareus or Von Miller? One is THE GUY and one is not.

THE GUY is a game-changer. A star. Someone who makes a difference and who every team covets.

One is the only reason the Broncos lost to the Bills this year.

46 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

If Shady is, it's to a much lesser degree.

Yeah - I have to disagree - McCoy is pretty much the same overall caliber of player that Thurman was for his era.  As others have stated - he hasn't had nearly the same supporting cast, and he's still led the league in rushing and is about as close to Sanders as exists these days.

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

Now, now, you can't go blaming McDermott for THAT.  He had good reasons for having Whaley trade back to the end of the first round:

• he needed a DB immediately since he had none more than he needed a QB for the future since he had one for now;
  • he wanted to collect more draft picks for 2018 which is supposedly going to be the best QB class ever so each first round QB will come with a guarantee;
  • he wanted to wait until his pal Beane from Carolina replaced Whaley so that they could implement their "vision" together.

Hate to rain on your parade, dude, but Miller went at #2.  He wasn't on the board when the Bills picked at #3.  Dareus was becoming a game changer under Jim Schwartz, and he's likely to become a game changer in Jacksonville now that he's on a team with a coach that knows how to use him.

No I can blast McDermott for that.

He is PAID to be smarter than draftniks and fans. The same GM that watched EJs college career concluded that Manuel was worth a first rounder and Watson wasn't. And the OWNER said publicly that McD and Whaley were working hand in hand with no division. 

If if he turns the card in on Watson we have real hope at QB for the first time since 1996.

Also if we were that worried about corner, we didn't HAVE to trade Darby. 

Instead McD is no different than Jauron, Gailey, Marrone or Rex - taking other teams backups and trying to make them into starters. 

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

Yeah, I know where they were drafted - I didn't say the Bills should've drafted Miller, did I? I'm just saying that both were highly touted coming out of college and, of course, the Bills did not get THE GUY. The Broncos did. The whole point I'm trying to make is that Bills never get THE GUY.

And while Fred Jackson is undoubtedly THE MAN, he was never THE GUY.

20 hours ago, Albwan said:

They had Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly - all at one time. 

The football gods deemed the  bills having too much talent at one time

hence the curse.

And the Cowboys got a free pass? Aikman (did you know spell check comes up with ailment for Aikman...), Emmit, Larry Allen, Deion, Charles Haley, Woodson, Irvin... some pretty decent roster names, depth as well, Novacek, Maryland, Moose, Williams, Newton ☹️???? 

On 11/25/2017 at 10:39 PM, Ol Dirty B said:

Wow watch out. Giving any credit to Nix or Whaley is forbidden on here. How about a guy like Ross Cockrell. He probably could have helped us now. Not blaming McDermott  at all for that, I know he was gone long before he was here. He's just a guy I for whatever reason always liked and seems like a solid player we drafted and cut for no reason.

Huh.  I'm not the only one who gives them credit where credit is due, and the thought police have yet to knock on my door.

Guess the night is young, though

On 11/26/2017 at 4:09 AM, Fadingpain said:

The short answer is that, historically, the Bills are one of the worst run organizations in N. American team sports.

You can fill a large book with the personnel decision mistakes we have made just during the drought.

That is why we don't have the GUY.

How many teams have won the Super Bowl the last decade: