Reggie Ragland's play for the chiefs

berg1029

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Personally, I wasn’t a Ragland guy so I’m fine with the trade. I said it at the time and if I prove to be wrong so be it. I’m not going to use hindsight to pretend my opinion is different.

In this defense he was a clunky fit. If we would’ve done a more schwartz style defense  I think we might’ve gotten a bit more out of the existing roster — of the issues that run me the wrong way this isn’t a substantial one though.

Edited by NoSaint

20 minutes ago, Marty McFly said:

As a 3-4 run stopping ILB Rags is good money. Hes not the type of athlete that would succeed in a 4-3 defense coming off an ACL tear and not playing football for a year where hes going from college to pro. Its been a touch road for him to be in game shape. Wish em the best.

He could have been an excellent fit in the schwartz style 43 where your line penetrates and mlb is the run stopper. Think spikes. 

1 hour ago, berg1029 said:

With the Bills playing the Chiefs, it seems like an appropriate time to bring this up.  Ragland appears to be getting more and more playing time with the Chiefs.  Last week, he was in nearly an even timeshare for snaps with Derrick Johnson (Ragland 47 snaps vs Johnson 51 snaps out of 68 total Giant's offensive snaps) and led the team in tackles (including one TFL).  It is also worth noting that the Giants averaged 3.5 yards/carry vs a season long average of 4.0 yards/carry.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/11/20/16680936/chiefs-andy-reid-roundup-whats-missing-at-wr-reggie-ragland-a-rookie-parker-ehinger

Only time will tell whether this was a good trade or not, but what do you all think?  Was he just a bad fit in the Frazier defense?  Will he end up being a solid player?  Was the trade for a fourth round draft pick a good decision?

After this trade, I predicted that we may end up having the same regret trading Reggie to the Chiefs as the Colts have had after trading Jerry Hughes to us.

As it turns out, we have plenty of guys who can stop the run . . . oh, oops, wait . . . never mind.

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

He could have been an excellent fit in the schwartz style 43 where your line penetrates and mlb is the run stopper. Think spikes. 

Yes, but Spikes maxed out at 30% of snaps.  And I think Whaley would've traded him for a 4th if he could have.

Like you said, not really a substantial issue.  We had an amalgam of picks for a 3-4 and a bunch of leftover 4-3 guys.  

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Preston Brown is the worst starter on our team. I can’t stand seeing this guy running 5 yds behind guys moving in slow motion. I would have much rather given Ragland a shot. Milano at MLB Ragland at SLB. Can’t be worse then the 2 guys we have out there now. Looks like they have quick sand for socks

Vlad Ducasse? Whichever DT he put next to kyle, Jordan Mills are worse. Preston has actually played well at one point or another during his career. These others havent played good football, not now , not ever. Di Marco is another one that has been a dissapointment, maybe another player that got payed and checked out

19 minutes ago, Peter said:

After this trade, I predicted that we may end up having the same regret trading Reggie to the Chiefs as the Colts have had after trading Jerry Hughes to us.

As it turns out, we have plenty of guys who can stop the run . . . oh, oops, wait . . . never mind.

Ragland is one player. Would you rather have him make a couple plays stopping the run in a pile of players or getting torched in coverage for big gains? 

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He didn't show anything in camp.  We're the coaches supposed to just ignore that?

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He didn't show anything in camp.  We're the coaches supposed to just ignore that?

Will see how he plays Sunday 

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

For a 2019 4th rounder, I likewise wouldn’t have been upset if they held onto him and asked him to be short yardage packages and see if he developed

This is just one of those “it is what it is” moves when you swap coaches though, and needs to be an add on to a bigger point (like is the whole dL better if we ran a schwartz style 43) if someone’s going to complain 

34 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Thats a great point. I didnt think of that. We also have no run stoppers in the front 7 left after Dareus left. If he shows up. Big on Sunday the pitchforks will for this front office will multiply.

In the last last 5 years id put schwartz defense with rexs offense and id have a perrenial playoff contender.

People say they should have held into a guy that didn't perform in camp.  And then we read abou a coach losing a team because he makes tough decisions.  How would players have felt if after preseason they kept a guy who didn't show much over another guy that earned his spot?

31 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

People say they should have held into a guy that didn't perform in camp.  And then we read abou a coach losing a team because he makes tough decisions.  How would players have felt if after preseason they kept a guy who didn't show much over another guy that earned his spot?

I don’t think they would’ve been that upset had he been our last LB. do you?

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Personally, I wasn’t a Ragland guy so I’m fine with the trade. I said it at the time and if I prove to be wrong so be it. I’m not going to use hindsight to pretend my opinion is different.

In all likelihood, it was probably not going to be a good fit once they decided to switch defenses.  With that being said, I felt like the guy never really got a fair shake in Buffalo.  The game before he was traded, he only had 3 snaps.  Coming off an ugly injury and not having played for a year, I felt like some more patience may have benefited the Bills in his situation.  It would appear he was still in the recovery process when they traded him

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

and keep picking players to fit a scheme....You have to pick the best players available and adjust your scheme.  

Amen. Bills have been drafting for many years now on the "we need to fill a positional need" strategy, as if every year they're an upgrade at one or two positions away from being a Super Bowl contender. The reality is they've been more like a QB + 4 or 5 other upgrades away from that.

3 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Ragland is one player. Would you rather have him make a couple plays stopping the run in a pile of players or getting torched in coverage for big gains? 

That might make a little bit of sense if the new brain trust had agreed to re-sign Zach Brown.  In the meantime, we cannot stop the run.  How embarrassing was it that the Saints ran it against us 20+ times in a row.  Not good.

• Like (+1) 1