Ronald Darby - Not Good Enough for this Scheme...

bouds

So we dumped a young cost controlled CB for a 3rd round pick and a WR that will be a free agent and barely plays due to injury.  We dumped him because he didn't fit our scheme, and yet all night long he clamped Dez in off man zone coverage.  I don't get it?  Gaines will be a free agent and might walk, so what did we actually gain from this trade beside a 3rd round pick?  Ironically we'll end up using that pick on a WR or CB.  It's unreal, I know Darby had a down year in 2016, but he looked excellent tonight and it amazes me how fast he was dumped by the current regime.  I have no faith in these bozos, they've created so many holes that we need to fill in the offseason.

Scheme over talent will be our undoing.

Just now, Virgil said:

Also, we've dumped our zone scheme on the outside in favor of man coverage  Something Darby was good at. 

It makes less and less sense as time goes on

But the Bills have the history making Jordan Matthews at WR.  BTW, he's a deep threat too. :rolleyes:

Its amazing to me that this coaching staff deemed players as not good enough for our roster, shipped them on out of here and then got peanuts for them in return.........and these same players who werent good enough for our roster are lighting it up elsewhere.

It just sickens me.

I mean we're relying on hitting on a bunch of draft picks in order to rebuild.  How's that working out for the Browns?  No team amassed more draft ammunition than the Browns, and yet I'm pretty sure after watching Wentz tonight Browns fans are willing to give back some of those picks for Wentz.  

Listen, I like building through the draft, but it seems as if we created holes for no reason at all, I just don't get it.  Will we find a CB in the 3rd round as good as Darby, maybe, it's possible, but nothing's a sure thing when you're going through the draft.

Drives me nuts.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Also, we've dumped our zone scheme on the outside in favor of man coverage  Something Darby was good at. 

It makes less and less sense as time goes on

That's true in makes less sense as time goes on and in the long run

Are we basing this off of just tonight's game for Darby?  It's only the second game he's dressed for all season.  I admittedly wasn't thrilled with that particular trade, though it might seem better if Jordan Matthews didn't pick this year to start falling apart. 

38 catches, 653 yards,  6 TDs.  Those are the season stats that Sammy is on track to compile, and the Rams get to worry about signing him to a new deal.  I think a 2nd for that was a pretty good deal.

We have guys running the team who have never done it before, so there's bound to be some mistakes.  Their choice of OC was probably bigger than either of these.

It's more about watching Darby play in a scheme that's similar to ours, and thinking, wait wasn't Darby jettisoned because of scheme fit?  That and he had a really good year as a rookie, still young and cost controlled.  I look at the current roster and we need another CB after this season ends, and well that means spending the draft assets we've accumulated on a CB, but we had a CB so that leaves me scratching my head.  It's like we're going around in a circle.  We may able to find a better CB than Darby, but we might not, so what was the point of the entire trade?

Edited by bouds

18 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Traded away young talented players to prove they are smarter. Two guys that have never been anything other than someone's assistant. Arrogant and stupid.

You wonder why the owner signed off on that. Seems like the owner is in over his head. He better hire a football guru!  He seems to be very gullible!

I do see that Darby continues to be the best wing man (Cris Carter style) in the NFL:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21468900/ronald-darby-vouches-jameis-winston-says-accusations-tampa-bay-buccanerers-qb-just-not-true

The Darby trade made sense to me when it looked like the new regime was punting on the 2017 season. This is Darby's 3rd season, and next year will be a new QB transitional year at best, so he'd have been gone before the team's anticipated competition window opens in 2019. But then some of the other moves that seem present oriented (Benjamin) make me wonder... I hope the new regime has an idea of where all this is going, but right at this moment I'm starting to wonder.

8 minutes ago, bouds said:

It's more about watching Darby play in a scheme that's similar to ours, and thinking, wait wasn't Darby jettisoned because of scheme fit?  That and he had a really good year as a rookie, still young and cost controlled.  I look at the current roster and we need another CB after this season ends, and well that means spending the draft assets we've accumulated on a CB, but we had a CB so that leaves me scratching my head.  It's like we're going around in a circle.  We may able to find a better CB than Darby, but we might not, so what was the point of the entire trade?

The point of the trade was to show how smart they are and to bring in a WR so they could trade Watkins too show how smart they are.

1 minute ago, chris heff said:

The point of the trade was to show how smart they are and to bring in a WR so they could trade Watkins too show how smart they are.

I'm afraid there's a lot of that going on. The Smartest Men in the Room syndrome again.  Any GM/coach can tank a team. Any GM/coach can try to make small incremental improvement to make a 7-9 team a 9-7 team. But only we, Messrs. Beane and McDermott, can remake a team in our image, remain competitive, and completely rebuild all at the same time.

I think they were worried that Darby would follow Gilmore out the door in free agency, and we'd get nothing in return.  Also he did have a less good year last year compared to his rookie year.

He's playing OK for Philly but keep in mind he's playing behind a much better, more aggressive D line that puts a lot more pressure on QBs. 

I don't know what kind of influence he was in the locker room.  Could be he simply wasn't committed to Buffalo and may have let out that he'd be leaving when he could.

As to the overall team, they're pretty bad, but this is exactly the team that we thought we'd have at the start of the year.  It's only because they played over their heads and got some lucky breaks that we started thinking playoffs this year.  That was never the expected outcome for the year.  It was fun while the mirage lasted, but that's all it was, a mirage.  The Bills are being built to win in 2019 -- get through this year, draft a ton of good rookies and pick up FAs next near, and have a good team ready to win in 2019. 

It isn't wait until next year, it's wait until the year after that.

Edited by Utah John