Vic Carucci's Interesting Take On Why Tyrod Was Benched

BuffaloRush

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

What a bunch of crap. Film doesn't lie. TT failed to pull the trigger on open receivers time and time again because he simply can't anticipate a break. He holds the ball longer than any QB on the league. DC's figured him out. Shut the run, keep him in the pocket and it's game over. We'd finish

7 - 9, or possibly 8 - 8 with him the rest of the way. Time for a change.

I honestly don't think we would have won another game with Taylor starting, even a team like the Colts would have defended this offense with ease.

And you are right about the game film, I've studied it intensely for weeks now and obviously so has McD and his staff. Our skill position players are much better than the stats something tells me we won't be at at the bottom of the league much longer in terms of completions to WR's.

My money is on brains. We've watched for 2+ seasons as Tyrod has played overly conservative football, making limited reads and focusing only on what the defense gives him or players that are wide open. That drives up his completion percentage, drives down his INTs and some people equate that to being good. I don't. I see a player who is unwilling or unable to run an effective NFL passing game and I think the coaching staff, and his third OC, realized his limitations and refusal to play big boy football. Nothing to me exemplifies this more than last week. Look at passes on third down, most troubling 3rd and long (5+ yards) when he continually threw well short of the sticks. Sorry but the OC is not drawing up continual underneath/short throws on 3rd and 14, 3rd and 15, 3rd and 13 hoping for a conversion based on YAC from the receiver. The first read cannot be the dump down but if you watch it appears he either goes there first of too quickly. Been his problem all along. That's got to be maddening to the coaches when they sit in film week in and week out and see the same open receivers down field he can't throw open or wait for and the continual lame checkdown. 

Here's every 3rd down pass play. 

3rd and 9 at NO 18 (11:07 - 1st) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass incomplete short right to K.Benjamin. Thrown behind receiver, along sideline at NO 9.

3rd and 14 at BUF 21 (5:33 - 1st) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short left to L.McCoy to BUF 25 for 4 yards (A.Okafor). Dump pass, caught at BUF 23. CAUGHT TWO YARDS DOWNFIELD

3rd and 15 at BUF 15 (14:31 - 2nd) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short middle to M.Tolbert to BUF 24 for 9 yards (C.Robertson; M.Te'o). Caught at BUF 22. CAUGHT 8 YARDS FROM THE FIRST DOWN

3rd and 1 at BUF 26 (7:45 - 2nd) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short left to C.Clay to BUF 30 for 4 yards (V.Bell). Caught at BUF 25, crossing from middle.

3rd and 2 at BUF 38 (5:59 - 2nd) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass incomplete deep left to D.Thompson (P.Williams). Receiver and coverage in flat at NO 26.

3rd and 12 at BUF 23 (8:29 - 3rd) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short middle intended for C.Clay INTERCEPTED by S.Rankins at BUF 30. S.Rankins to BUF 3 for 27 yards (J.Mills). Pass through receiver's hands before INT. INTERCEPTED 5 YARD SHORT OF THE MARKER

3rd and 13 at BUF 22 (7:39 - 3rd) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short middle to M.Tolbert to BUF 30 for 8 yards (M.Te'o; C.Robertson). Dump pass, caught at BUF 27. CAUGHT 8 YARDS SHORT OF THE MARKER

3rd and 11 at BUF 24 (15:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Taylor sacked at BUF 19 for -5 yards (S.Rankins).

He's fantastically mediocre and not the long term solution for a coach and GM set on being better than mediocre. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

http://buffalonews.com/section/sports/bills/podcast/

I'd encourage everyone to listen to the Bills Blitz podcast.  Even though I don't like the BN Sports business model, the coverage is top notch as is this podcast from Vic Carucci and Jay Skurski.  I have always respected Vic and he's an extremely reliable source.  Keep in mind he brought up rumblings about Rex and Whaley getting fired nearly a year in advance.

Vic's take on Tyrod getting benched for Peterman is that it was more of a big picture move.  Not necessarily a few years down the road, but next year in particular.  His take is the Bills realized that 8-9 wins will get them in the playoffs and there was a very good chance that they get there with Tyrod as QB.  If they get to the playoffs with Tyrod that makes it harder for them to move on from the QB who led them to the first playoff appearance in 17 years.  So at point in the year the team realized they didn't want to be stuck with Tyrod for the 2017-2018 season.  Considering the fact of how poorly Tyrod has played in losses and the fact that they don't want him next year, they made the move to start Peterman.

It's an interesting thought.  Skurski argues that the coaching believes Peterman will run the offense better than Tyrod.  It's an interesting listen for sure.

So what are your thoughts on this?   Does Vic' idea seem plausible?  

Wouldn’t Peterman getting us to the playoffs hurt us even more since he’s younger? At least we could draft a QB next year in the 1st round. How can we justify drafting a QB if Peterman ends our draft?

54 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Slowly the story is coming out from multiple reporters.  

There  was no long term plan for TT in Buffalo unless he became a passing QB.  

It's not just that Shady, sources have also told me that Peterman has better getting better and better in practice for weeks and pretty has outperformed Taylor in the setting for some time now despite not taking nearly as many reps as Taylor was being the starter.

8 minutes ago, zonabb said:

My money is on brains. We've watched for 2+ seasons as Tyrod has played overly conservative football, making limited reads and focusing only on what the defense gives him or players that are wide open. That drives up his completion percentage, drives down his INTs and some people equate that to being good. I don't. I see a player who is unwilling or unable to run an effective NFL passing game and I think the coaching staff, and his third OC, realized his limitations and refusal to play big boy football. Nothing to me exemplifies this more than last week. Look at passes on third down, most troubling 3rd and long (5+ yards) when he continually threw well short of the sticks. Sorry but the OC is not drawing up continual underneath/short throws on 3rd and 14, 3rd and 15, 3rd and 13 hoping for a conversion based on YAC from the receiver. The first read cannot be the dump down but if you watch it appears he either goes there first of too quickly. Been his problem all along. That's got to be maddening to the coaches when they sit in film week in and week out and see the same open receivers down field he can't throw open or wait for and the continual lame checkdown. 

3rd and 9 at NO 18 (11:07 - 1st) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass incomplete short right to K.Benjamin. Thrown behind receiver, along sideline at NO 9.

3rd and 14 at BUF 21 (5:33 - 1st) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short left to L.McCoy to BUF 25 for 4 yards (A.Okafor). Dump pass, caught at BUF 23. CAUGHT TWO YARDS DOWNFIELD

3rd and 15 at BUF 15 (14:31 - 2nd) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short middle to M.Tolbert to BUF 24 for 9 yards (C.Robertson; M.Te'o). Caught at BUF 22. CAUGHT 8 YARDS FROM THE FIRST DOWN

3rd and 1 at BUF 26 (7:45 - 2nd) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short left to C.Clay to BUF 30 for 4 yards (V.Bell). Caught at BUF 25, crossing from middle.

3rd and 2 at BUF 38 (5:59 - 2nd) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass incomplete deep left to D.Thompson (P.Williams). Receiver and coverage in flat at NO 26.

3rd and 12 at BUF 23 (8:29 - 3rd) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short middle intended for C.Clay INTERCEPTED by S.Rankins at BUF 30. S.Rankins to BUF 3 for 27 yards (J.Mills). Pass through receiver's hands before INT. INTERCEPTED 5 YARD SHORT OF THE MARKER

3rd and 13 at BUF 22 (7:39 - 3rd) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short middle to M.Tolbert to BUF 30 for 8 yards (M.Te'o; C.Robertson). Dump pass, caught at BUF 27. CAUGHT 8 YARDS SHORT OF THE MARKER

3rd and 11 at BUF 24 (15:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Taylor sacked at BUF 19 for -5 yards (S.Rankins).

He's fantastically mediocre and not the long term solution for a coach and GM set on being better than mediocre. 

Sunday was definitely a painful experience, especially watching third down.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I guess it's just easy to pile on the team and Taylor here?

Vic's take seems pretty damn obvious and logical.  Taylor played just atrociously on Sunday and with a couple other showings similar to that this year combined with no really great showings, McBeane had seen enough to know Taylor wasn't the future at the position and they wanted to see a guy who just might be the future.  He's just too inconsistent and doesn't play at a high enough level on his best days to warrant anymore time wasted seeing if he could be our future.

With the Bills schedule to close the season, they could have made the playoffs with Taylor at the helm.  But we likely wouldn't have made any noise in the playoffs and then Taylor would have been the 1st QB since Flutie to lead the team to the playoffs.

Completely logical take by Vic.  It's probably true to some extent.  Shooting for the stars and the future with Peterman or plummet to a higher draft choice with him as we realize he's likely not the future and, at the very least, needs some serious competition in the form of a 1st or 2nd round draft choice.

It's a good move for the Bills future, even if it might hurt the team this year.  It might really help the team this year, though, and I think that's what we're all really hoping for  :thumbsup:

I didnt see Taylor winning more than 2 more games.  The team has lost confidence and needs someone to step up.  If there wasnt a rookie on the roster good enough to play a change is not made.  The future and offseason ramafications just hedges there bet with the switch to peterman.  He plays poorly the get a higher pick and go for a Qb early.

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I didnt see Taylor winning more than 2 more games.  The team has lost confidence and needs someone to step up.  If there wasnt a rookie on the roster good enough to play a change is not made.  The future and offseason ramafications just hedges there bet with the switch to peterman.  He plays poorly the get a higher pick and go for a Qb early.

If McD didn't make the move, I think the team would blame him.  Since he made the change, McD now has a couple more games of increased effort from the team.  They will pull for the young guy...at least until he hangs the WR's out to dry or frustrates the defense. 

It was the move that McD needs to make now or very soon.  

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

Hey Chargers, Chiefs, Patriots, Colts and Dolphins -- if you keep #5 in the pocket and make him throw the football you probably win the game ...not that hard.  Surprised it took this long to figure it out.  This team was not a playoff team with Taylor and it's likely not one with Peterman...but it was worth a shot.  Vic's conspiracy theories are good fodder for water cooler talk -- but every team left on our schedule is capable of keeping Tyrod in the pocket except for maybe the Colts.

Seriously though how many of us said this last year after embarrassing losses to Steelers/ Patriots, stop shady and force tyrod to throw and the game is over.

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Sounds like Carucci read my post from earlier today...

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/198520-theory-starting-peterman-more-about-the-defense-than-anything/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-4676294

"Then, how do you get rid of the guy who was QB for the team that finally broke the drought?"

Ravens dumped Trent Dilfer after winning very first Super Bowl arguably for Browns and Ravens.

Edited by cba fan

The defense came back down to earth.  The lucky tips falling into Micah Hyde's hands went away.  The fumbles stopped falling at the feet of waiting Bills defensemen.  The short fields disappeared, as did the defensive points which allowed the offense to play conservatively.  Then we got to see ... again, for the third year ... what Tyrod is when Tyrod is forced to be a quarterback.

This was never a playoff team.  By design.  They had nearly every ball bounce their way, leading to a ridiculous turnover differential and five wins against teams that weren't playing well.

The last two weeks showed us who the Bills are.  And that's okay.  It's a thinly veiled tank and they simply weren't supposed to be that good.  And they're not.

Tyrod was benched because there is no way in hell that he will be the starter in 2018.  He was benched because there's no way in hell this team is going to win more than eight games, let along go to the playoffs.  He was benched because it was a responsible decision that allows the coaching staff to be able to assess Nate Peterman outside of practice and garbage time.

Tyrod was benched because he's a horrible starting quarterback in the NFL.  Period.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dulles said:

If McD didn't make the move, I think the team would blame him.  Since he made the change, McD now has a couple more games of increased effort from the team.  They will pull for the young guy...at least until he hangs the WR's out to dry or frustrates the defense. 

It was the move that McD needs to make now or very soon.  

I agree.  That is why I like doing it now.  Why wait like many expected?  If you think Peterman might be the better player make the move and find out.

43 minutes ago, zonabb said:

You make more sense than any over paid tv analyst. So tired of everyone calling tyrod the scape goat. Analyst just Google his stats and passer rating and call him underated. I read an article that said "though many bills fans support the decision" I wonder why... Because we have actually watched every single game and watched tyrod be frustratingly average at best.