D&C'S MAIORANA: Clock Is Ticking On Dennison

OldTimeAFLGuy

On 11/16/2017 at 11:43 AM, dneveu said:

It's a bit of everything.  Oline is struggling with stunts, as well as blocking for the zone runs.  The backs are struggling to find the holes and make the right cuts - Shady isn't a great fit for this it seems like.  We had a lot of success in shotgun last season as it deepens the pocket, and allows us to run more read option concepts.  We're now majority under center unless its an obvious passing play it seems.  

I think some quick hitters from peterson will do the offense good.  Shorter 3rd downs can create easier mis matches, and force the linebackers to shorten their depth.  This can create some big plays which have been lacking.

Last week on 3rd and 14 there wasn't a non-rushing saint within 10 yards of the LOS.  So you have 7 guys back there covering the sticks making checkdowns the only options.  

Just a friendly reminder: 

Our PETER is a MANhqdefault.jpg

, not a SON.9c5531d5ebacb8681da3422dd18834b3.jpg

On 11/16/2017 at 10:47 AM, Utah John said:

There are four reasons the rushing attack has fallen apart.  First, lack of credible receivers lets defenses put another player or two in the box.  Second, Taylor was not running as much as he used to, and his yards made a big difference in the rushing rankings.  (Who's fault is it that Taylor isn't running?  His, or the coaches?  I don't know.)  Third, the O line is not as good.  I fear that both Wood and Incognito are falling off the age cliff, before our eyes.  Glenn is still hurt a lot, and the right side is still a disaster.  A lot of the problem could be traced to Castillo, the O line coach, or could be due to age an injuries.  Either way, the O line is not as good as it was.  Fourth, coaching.  Dennison simply didn't want to carry forward what was working before.  In his defense, he could have noticed the first three reasons I mentioned and realized it wasn't going to be good enough to keep doing the same thing.

One other reason -- Tolbert is just not as good as Gillislee. 

Its really about 90% play calling, as far as the run game goes.  They went into the bye week running more stretch plays than anyone else in the NFL.  And it wasn't working.

Shady came out and mentioned that during the bye week they were going to implement more of the things they did last year.

And they did.  You saw a lot more of Glenn and Incognito pulling into the secondary, often in tandem..you saw more misdirection, more options, more creativity.

And it worked.  173 yards against the Bucs, 167 against the Raiders...the highest run totals either has given up this year. 

And we happened to score at least 30 on each.

I won't speak about the Jets game, but I put myself through re-watching the Saints game, at least the run plays.

In the first series, the Shady run was an option that caught the some of the secondary and LB's going the other way and others frozen.  Once he got past the LOS, he had a lot of open space.  IT was followed up by a 13 yd designed run up the middle when the inside LB's were cleared outside in coverage.

The next series, they were caught for a loss on a reverse that didn't work.  But after that...the running plays went back to the stretch play, or some other play that didn't do anything to get the D going the other way or freeze anyone.  IDK...they might have panicked after falling behind...but they weren't doing same thing after the 1st series.

Dennison's bread and butter play..the Shanahan zone block outside stretch..basically has guys like Glenn, Incognito and Wood diving at a guy's ankles.

These guys like to pound people, whether through pulling or straight up mano-a-mano. 

And it has worked over the past 2 years...and when they've actually used that method this year.

But having them cut a guy play side isn't their strength. And it is worse when the play is called far too often and the D knows its coming.  The D has a jump on the play and gets through the gap before the OL can complete their cut blocks.

All in all...he's no better calling a run game than Nate Hackett was when he was here. And the sad thing is, he was handed more than Hackett was, plus the playbook that showed how to succeed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

They cant pass everytime shady needs a breather. The issue is that he's fat and slow. I have no idea why they call so many outside runs for him.

Because they stack the middle.  

No passing game allows teams to crowd the line.  

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Don't worry.

He won't.

What if he does? 

Will you admit an error of judgment???

just asking because some here would  refuse to.  

On 11/16/2017 at 9:19 PM, Domdab99 said:

Imagine calling a halfback option to your 250 llb. fullback because of "rotation." Dennison sucks, and the sooner he's gone, the better.

....well at least he is innocent of the famed "Reggie Reverse" or "Shaud Draw".......whew...............

On 11/16/2017 at 9:19 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

Dennison has been a disappointment. He hasn't been nearly good enough. But that doesn't mean the QB is good enough.

If the offense doesn't improve under Peterman then I would be surprised if Dennison isn't fired after the season.

Kind of agree with this...because if Peterman doesn’t succeed, why draft a top QB to work with Dennison if Dennison wasn’t even one of your top two choices- and might be fired the following year anyway...then the new QB would have to learn a whole new offense again...for me, the only way Dennison should stay is if Petermsn succeeds

18 hours ago, section122 said:

I wanted to do some digging to see how successful Dennison had been.  Here is what I found:

Denver:

2006 21st in yards, 17th in points

2007 11th in yards, 21st in points

2008 2nd in yards, 16th in points

Houston:

2010 3rd in yards, 9th in points

2011 13th in yards, 10th in points

2012 7th in yards, 8th in points

2013 11th in yards, 31st in points

Ravens

2015 14th in yards, 25th in points

2016 17th in yards, 21st in points

That breaks down to 2 out of 9 years fielding top 10 offense by yards and points, finishing top 5 in a category once out of 18 opportunities, and finishing top 10 in a category 6 out of 18 opportunities.  I don't see this success other than 2010 and 2012.  To make his resume that much more impressive after 2008 he was demoted by the Broncos to offensive line coach.  After 2013 he was hired by the Ravens as a quarterbacks coach.  Currently Buffalo sits at 28th in yards and 20th in points.  Last year they finished at 16th in yards and 10th in points.  I dug into this hoping to prove myself wrong and I ended up feeling worse about him lol.

Great find and all but isn’t all that data moot because he wasn’t really calling the plays even though he was the OC?  I thought I heard that somewhere.

Edited by JaCrispy

On 11/16/2017 at 9:35 AM, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Imagine drawing up a play where your QB takes a snap out of shotgun and throws a quick slant to the slot WR for 5 yards. Now imagine that you call that play and your QB hesitates, doesn't throw it, stabs into the pocket and then back out, rolls the opposite direction of his throwing hand, sprints toward the sideline while being chased by D lineman and gains a yard. Who do you blame? The O coordinator? Because I'm positive he's not drawing up half the things Tyrod was doing.

The flip side- imagine you are a player with some success in the league. You throw a decent deep ball on the perimeter, have good wheels on you... but know you struggle with the middle of the field. 

Is it your fault when the coach/gm bring in all possession receivers and quick reads to the middle? 

This trouble was incredibly predictable once we paired the two guys. Many saw it coming in the spring. We have a limited qb and played to his weaknesses instead of strengths 

On 11/16/2017 at 10:17 PM, JayBaller10 said:

When an offensive coordinator lines up Tolbert as part of a 5 WR package, that tells me all I need to know about the coordinator. A 250 pound fullback running pass routes??? That's almost as egregious as Marcel Dareus dropping into coverage.

Well, that’s about trying to force packages and mismatches elsewhere. It can’t be a core staple but if it gets tolbert on a corner and they keep in a thumper lb who gets stuck on clay, that’s a huge win.

much like md. It can’t be regular but once in awhile is fine.

• Like (+1) 1

So far I don't like Dennisons offense.  I think at times the play calling is terrible.  All I really have to say is consecutive plays to Tolbert.  That should never ever ever happen but it happens consistently in just about every game.  That said, I am willing to keep an open mind and see what it looks like under another QB.

15 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

So far I don't like Dennisons offense.  I think at times the play calling is terrible.  All I really have to say is consecutive plays to Tolbert.  That should never ever ever happen but it happens consistently in just about every game.  That said, I am willing to keep an open mind and see what it looks like under another QB.

His play calling doesn’t seem like he “playing chess” with the defense...now maybe it was because Tyrod was running the offense but it doesn’t seem like Dennison tries to stay a step ahead of the defense- very mediocre

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

His play calling doesn’t seem like he “playing chess” with the defense...now maybe it was because Tyrod was running the offense but it doesn’t seem like Dennison tries to stay a step ahead of the defense- very mediocre

The only hope I have is that he trusts Peterman to audible. The one good thing about all the Tolbert runs for the first half of the season is that defenses cannot ever assume we will pass the ball. No matter the down or distance or game situation, they have to keep an eye on the RB. If Peterman is allowed to audible he can take advantage of this.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

When you run the ball as well as they did you don't need to pass the ball.... hence the low ranking in passing yardage. 

Top 7 offense in points scored. Continuity ON OFFENSE should've been stressed but when you have an owner who doesn't have a clue about the game he hires people to essentially turn a team that needed a little adjusting not a blow up, into a full rebuild. 

You wouldve thought he'd have learned from his experience From Schwartz to Rex. But obviously not. 

I don't think this team did just need a small adjustment this time actually. I thought it did after Marrone but I think this needed a rebuild. Whether that rebuild is best acheived by selling off young talent and relying on veterans is a totally different question. 

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

...seems more like his play calling was "playing chess" with TT to prove a point.....he loosened the reins and TT had two much better games overall.....then right back to his perceived "vaunted system"....if he doesn't want the kid here in 2018, so be it.....BUT why the hell sacrifice WIN NOW with the personnel you have on the roster?....WTF does this guy fear, the PLAYOFFS (Vic Carucci assertion about "fearing" the playoffs-LMAO).??................

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think this team did just need a small adjustment this time actually. I thought it did after Marrone but I think this needed a rebuild. Whether that rebuild is best acheived by selling off young talent and relying on veterans is a totally different question. 

I disagree. We had the 7th highest scoring offense in the NFL. We had a middle of the pack undiscilpined defense that dominated 2 years before and you got most of the guys back.

Don't mess up the O (too late) and improve the D some at giving up points and we should get good to go (had done it but now not so sure).

On 11/16/2017 at 9:31 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think Dennison is safe for this year, he is going to get a pass from the generally very loyal McDermott and Dennison can point to having Tyrod Taylor and a rookie as QBs.

I agree. 

I also don't feel very good about Dennison. 

It's been a question IMO how much of the offense in any of his previous gigs was Shanahan (2006-2008, not successful years) or Kubiak (Texans 2010-2014)

There are a lot of questions - does the OL look like trash because of Castillo's blocking schemes & Dennison's schemes and playcalls plus how long Taylor holds the ball, or does it look like trash because Woods and Cog have fallen off a cliff and Glenn is out?   Are the plays ineffective because of execution, or because they aren't well designed for our players?  Is Dennison incapable of designing an offense to better suit Taylor, or is he following a McWrestler mandate to use Taylor in the way that they want their long-term QB to be used, "fish or cut bait"?

All that said, I just don't have a warm fuzzy.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree. 

I also don't feel very good about Dennison. 

It's been a question IMO how much of the offense in any of his previous gigs was Shanahan (2006-2008, not successful years) or Kubiak (Texans 2010-2014)

There are a lot of questions - does the OL look like trash because of Castillo's blocking schemes & Dennison's schemes and playcalls plus how long Taylor holds the ball, or does it look like trash because Woods and Cog have fallen off a cliff and Glenn is out?   Are the plays ineffective because of execution, or because they aren't well designed for our players?  Is Dennison incapable of designing an offense to better suit Taylor, or is he following a McWrestler mandate to use Taylor in the way that they want their long-term QB to be used, "fish or cut bait"?

All that said, I just don't have a warm fuzzy.

Its not Castillo's blocking schemes.  I don't know why people keep saying that.  The blocking scheme is typical of the WCO.  They go hand in hand.  Whether or not he is a good coach/bad coach I don't know.  Its not like we have top talent on oline.  We have some garbage out there and some old guys too.  Cant blame it all on scheme.

On 11/16/2017 at 6:44 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Urm, because many a young QB has looked promising in his first season and not been able to build on that once there's film out on him or for whatever reason?

The Bills (and other horrid teams) under-invest in QB.  San Diego had Brees and drafted Rivers.  Green Bay had Favre and drafted Rodgers. 

There are significant differences in the players - Watkins, Wood, Goodman, Gillislee, even Kujo played a role last year - but of course, this regime takes responsibility for that since they are the ones who made the decison to trade them, release them, or let them walk.

But yes, many of the key players are the same, and I agree Dennison is trying to force players into his system.  If he was determined to run a timing offense, he could have insisted to sign a vet QB who could run it and let TT walk.

You don’t suppose that is part of the reason they tried to get Hoyer in FA.  Hoyer chose SF with a starting gig over competition in Buffalo, but I think the coaching staff recognized that TT might not fit what they wanted.

I believe a majority of the change at WR also dealt with getting guys to fit the timing offense.  Drafting Zay and trading for Matthews both scream of WCO over Watkins.  I think this staff would of loved to keep Woods - another fit, but not at the cost the LARams paid and he wanted to go back to the west coast.

Everything this team did during the off season screamed that TT was not their long term solution - he was a safety net until they could get a better fit at the position.  

I think Dennison has a lot to prove, but McCoy and Musgrave have been busts in Denver taking a guy that Dennison made look decent and turning him into a failure - so I am not sure that had we gotten our top choice things would be better.  I will give Dennison the benefit of the doubt and see how the offense looks with a different QB and then judge him as the year concludes.

21 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Everything this team did during the off season screamed that TT was not their long term solution - he was a safety net until they could get a better fit at the position.  

I think Dennison has a lot to prove, but McCoy and Musgrave have been busts in Denver taking a guy that Dennison made look decent and turning him into a failure - so I am not sure that had we gotten our top choice things would be better.  I will give Dennison the benefit of the doubt and see how the offense looks with a different QB and then judge him as the year concludes.

So how does this offense look to you now with a different QB?