Cap situation without Tyrod next year

Next year he'd have a dead cap of 8.6 million but after that he's off the books.  I fully expect them to look into trading him if Peterman plays even halfway decent.  That's about 10 million more in cap.  I don't know the exact cap number.  That plus a handful of other cuts like Alexander would give us a lot of cap to play with.  If they decide to make this move and use that to get more quality free agents, this team will look completely different next year.  

A lot of cap and high draft picks could be a huge injection of talent onto this team if used properly.  They did a nice job assembling a secondary so far with their two safety FAs and White.  

Peterman could quicken this rebuild if he plays really well down the stretch.  I'd expect Buffalo to draft a QB either way but maybe if he plays well enough, we don't have to use a first round pick on one.  He'd have to play really well to do that though.  That'd free us up to use all 5 picks that we have in the first 100 picks.  Who knows, they could move up or down in any round like they did last year.  The players this regime have brought in so far have looked fairly solid.  A nice draft, two starting safeties, Deonte Thompson who has had a bunch of catches in his short time and a decent amount of depth  for an offseason right after they took over with little time to prepare.  Interested to see the direction they take

Yeah I think we can probably ship TT for a seventh.  His contract is pretty good for a starting QB, and he would be awesome as a back up when teams haven't planned for him.  Seems like there's not a lot of downside if you know you don't have a set starting QB.

Maybe there are even situations where you can get more.

Edited by Steve Billieve

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Next year he'd have a dead cap of 8.6 million but after that he's off the books.  I fully expect them to look into trading him if Peterman plays even halfway decent.  That's about 10 million more in cap.  I don't know the exact cap number.  That plus a handful of other cuts like Alexander would give us a lot of cap to play with.  If they decide to make this move and use that to get more quality free agents, this team will look completely different next year.  

A lot of cap and high draft picks could be a huge injection of talent onto this team if used properly.  They did a nice job assembling a secondary so far with their two safety FAs and White.  

Peterman could quicken this rebuild if he plays really well down the stretch.  I'd expect Buffalo to draft a QB either way but maybe if he plays well enough, we don't have to use a first round pick on one.  He'd have to play really well to do that though.  That'd free us up to use all 5 picks that we have in the first 100 picks.  Who knows, they could move up or down in any round like they did last year.  The players this regime have brought in so far have looked fairly solid.  A nice draft, two starting safeties, Deonte Thompson who has had a bunch of catches in his short time and a decent amount of depth  for an offseason right after they took over with little time to prepare.  Interested to see the direction they take

No one is trading for TT. 

He will not have his option picked up and 32 teams in the league know this. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

Even though it may not look like it, Tyrod is more talented than some of the starting QBs on teams right now.  He may have a market, not for a high pick but who knows.  I've seen worse QBs traded

I don't see him getting a starting job - or even a shot at a starting job - anywhere. But he'd be a great backup for a lot of teams. Would the Texans like to have him now?  The Bucs?   The Raiders if Carr's back doesn't hold up? The Packers?  He'd be a huge upgrade over all the guys those teams have been forced into playing. The problem is nobody can take on that 2018 salary for a backup. I see one of those "we take someone else's bad contract in exchange for Tyrod's" type deals. 

11 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

You got to at least try. They're not spending 18 million on him next year and he's pretty much done as a Bill. Get what you can and if some team is desperate enough maybe we can cut a deal.

They are not picking up his option so he wont be a Bill and wont be getting 18M

Just now, billspro said:

Do they even take a cap hit if they don't pick up his option?

Yes there is a dead hit. They save 10M against the cap though by not picking his option. 

So he is NOT getting traded a team is NOT giving a pick and 18M to a QB that is a UFA NLT the third day of the league year 

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

No one is trading for TT. 

He will not have his option picked up and 32 teams in the league know this. 

Maybe not, but look at the bigger picture of the post...we will have at least 10 million more to work with if he's gone next year.  However, I've seen Brock Osweiler get traded so...anything can happen

11 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I don't see him getting a starting job - or even a shot at a starting job - anywhere. But he'd be a great backup for a lot of teams. Would the Texans like to have him now?  The Bucs?   The Raiders if Carr's back doesn't hold up? The Packers?  He'd be a huge upgrade over all the guys those teams have been forced into playing. The problem is nobody can take on that 2018 salary for a backup. I see one of those "we take someone else's bad contract in exchange for Tyrod's" type deals. 

His contract isn't that bad.  It's got one more high salary year on it.  I could easily see a team looking for a bridge QB like the Jets had with their QB this year take a flier on him.  They could easily dump him the next year.  He's a .500 QB over 2 and a half years.  Imagine a team like Cleveland who hasn't had a QB in forever as well.  I certainly think somewhere, someone could use his abilities as a 1 year starter, but honestly who knows.  Brock Osweiler was traded...anyone can be traded if the situation fits. 

The point of the post was not trading Tyrod but just getting rid of his contract in some fashion for next year.  If he's cut...we have 10 million more in cap to sign free agents.  

Edited by Buffalo30

13 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Even though it may not look like it, Tyrod is more talented than some of the starting QBs on teams right now.  He may have a market, not for a high pick but who knows.  I've seen worse QBs traded

If Peterman plays well everyone in the NFL will know Buffalo will not pick up his 6 million option and make his 2018 contract 16 mil guaranteed.  So the question stands why would anyone trade for Taylor when they can wait for him to be released and avoid giving up any assets and sign him for less of a cap hit?

Just now, Mat68 said:

If Peterman plays well everyone in the NFL will know Buffalo will not pick up his 6 million option and make his 2018 contract 16 mil guaranteed.  So the question stands why would anyone trade for Taylor when they can wait for him to be released and avoid giving up any assets and sign him for less of a cap hit?

There's no guarantee he signs with that team, he'd have no choice if he's traded.  Also, the point of the post that everyone is missing because they are going nuts over someone possibly trading for Tyrod is even if we cut him, we will have at least another 10 million in cap space to work with...btw shotty QBs have been traded in the past.  It's all about finding the right team

• Like (+1) 1