College Basketball 2017-2018

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, bbb said:

I'm jealous...........My friend's daughter is a freshman there, and loving the Musketeers games!

It was a conscious decision around the time I left (1982)  to use hoops to make a name for the school. It’s worked, they have a brand that was previously unknown. Applications increased dramatically, better kids to chose from, etc. And it’s been a blast to watch! 

I am on the west coast and I am having a hard time understanding all the love for the SEC this year. Lunardi has 8 of them making the tourney, a few with losing conf records, and only 2 from the pac 12. I keep hearing the Pac 12 is garbage but UCLA beat UK on the road and Az. St. beat Xavier, Kansas, K St. etc and yet sit in 9th place in the conference. The 9th place team went and beat those top teams and somehow the conf is weak? Doesn t add up, another thing wrong is the RPI. Az St. is the 2nd ranked pac team in their ranking, ahead of teams who have beaten them twice and have better conf records. Their ranking just happens to make X and KU losses look better on their resumes. Az St in 9th place is one of the teams Lunardi has in. Makes no sense.

16 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Bonnies?   Unless they collapse or blow the first game of the A10 tourney I think they are close to a sure bet.

As it is, we're only getting two from the conference this year unless there is a major tourney upset, which of course I am not rooting for.

Do you think the Bonnies will get in if we split the next two (Davidson and Saint Louis) and win one game in the tourney?  After the snub two years ago, I was thinking we won't.

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

It was a conscious decision around the time I left (1982)  to use hoops to make a name for the school. It’s worked, they have a brand that was previously unknown. Applications increased dramatically, better kids to chose from, etc. And it’s been a blast to watch! 

Another of my friends' daughters is a frosh at St. Joe's.  She was told by an administrator that they are trying that same plan - mainly because in the last few years, Villanova has gone from a regional school to a national one - and they got very picky with applications.

11 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I am on the west coast and I am having a hard time understanding all the love for the SEC this year. Lunardi has 8 of them making the tourney, a few with losing conf records, and only 2 from the pac 12. I keep hearing the Pac 12 is garbage but UCLA beat UK on the road and Az. St. beat Xavier, Kansas, K St. etc and yet sit in 9th place in the conference. The 9th place team went and beat those top teams and somehow the conf is weak? Doesn t add up, another thing wrong is the RPI. Az St. is the 2nd ranked pac team in their ranking, ahead of teams who have beaten them twice and have better conf records. Their ranking just happens to make X and KU losses look better on their resumes. Az St in 9th place is one of the teams Lunardi has in. Makes no sense.

I admit I pay only moderate attention outside the BE. I know ASU winning AT Kansas was huge. X on a neutral court is very a nice win. Who have they lost to? They are Xaviers nightmare matchup. We have bigger guards. The smaller and quicker guys who can shoot and attack the rim are our kryptonite. 

37 minutes ago, bbb said:

Do you think the Bonnies will get in if we split the next two (Davidson and Saint Louis) and win one game in the tourney?  After the snub two years ago, I was thinking we won't.

Another of my friends' daughters is a frosh at St. Joe's.  She was told by an administrator that they are trying that same plan - mainly because in the last few years, Villanova has gone from a regional school to a national one - and they got very picky with applications.

I think 24-8 would be good enough.

Regarding your 'Nova point, I just read an interesting article about how the wildly successful basketball program transformed UCONN into a national university over the last 25 years;  and the question now is how to maintain that stature in the face of a basketball slump which may be permanent considering how they lost out in the conference reshuffling a few years ago.   I suspect they'll be on the hunt for a big name coach to attempt to restore order this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I suspect they'll be on the hunt for a big name coach to attempt to restore order this offseason.

By the looks of things, there will be a lot of big name coaches looking for jobs!  (Not sure if they'll be out on parole, though)

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I admit I pay only moderate attention outside the BE. I know ASU winning AT Kansas was huge. X on a neutral court is very a nice win. Who have they lost to? They are Xaviers nightmare matchup. We have bigger guards. The smaller and quicker guys who can shoot and attack the rim are our kryptonite. 

They didn't lose to anybody OOC. They were ranked AP 4th when conf play started,  but are in 9th place at 7-9 in the supposedly garbage Pac 12. That is what I don't understand. If the 9th place team goes undefeated knocking off 3 top teams OOC, the Pac 12 is obviously not a weak conference.

For five minutes this clown took up 1/3 of the screen of a game to tell me bracket choices, and for 2 of those minutes they took up another 1/3 of the screen with a useless graphic

can I watch the game without them cutting out half the screens

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Congratulations UB! MAC regular season champions!

Do teams usually cut down the nets for regular season championships?  I'm used to seeing tourney winners doing it, but not sure I've actually watched a team win a regular season championship.............Congrats to the Bulls, either way.  (And, it really helps Bonas resume, as well)

UNC/Miami game was crazy last night.  UNC played terribly for most of the game but tied it on a 3 with 4.1 seconds left, only to see a Miami senior hit a 3 at the buzzer.  Eerily reminiscent of the championship game vs. Villanova two years ago.

College basketball is still just a great sport -- even when your team loses.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, bbb said:

Do teams usually cut down the nets for regular season championships?  I'm used to seeing tourney winners doing it, but not sure I've actually watched a team win a regular season championship.............Congrats to the Bulls, either way.  (And, it really helps Bonas resume, as well)

What was great was SVP opened up his show with his "best thing i saw today" and it was someone making a halfcourt shot at intermission and going crazy.  What did he win you ask? Tuition? $10K/ Nope..12 medium pizzzas!!!!! Not ever larges!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, bbb said:

Apparently they do, and they did last night. It was also Senior night so they incorporated that celebration into it.

On the plus side, they had almost 6K for a weeknight game. I guess WNY is finally buying into good college basketball.

On the down side, the crowd doesn't make enough noise, or show enough emotion. Most left during the cutting of the nets. That wouldn't happen in Olean.

57 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Apparently they do, and they did last night. It was also Senior night so they incorporated that celebration into it.

On the plus side, they had almost 6K for a weeknight game. I guess WNY is finally buying into good college basketball.

On the down side, the crowd doesn't make enough noise, or show enough emotion. Most left during the cutting of the nets. That wouldn't happen in Olean.

It has been a great year for local college basketball.  UB wins the MAC, Bona I think punched their ticket last night with the win against Davidson, Canisius tied for first & loss out on a tie breaker with Rider & will be the 2 seed & Niagara has had a nice year & will get the three seed.  I think UB should win their conference tournament if they remain focused, they are clearly the best team in that league although I do worry about their defense at time, Canisius & Niagara both have a legit chance to cut down the nets next Monday especially since Siena (the home team) should not be much of a factor in this tournament, & Bona is in great shape.  They got St Louis I believe this weekend.  Win that one & get to the championship game in the A 10 & I don't see how the committee could leave them out.  If UB or Bona get in watch out, they got the talent to make it through the weekend.  My guess is Bona would be an 11 or 12 seed, UB would be a 13th seed. If Canisius gets in they will be a 15th seed.   I love March!

Edited by Gordio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Bona local fans really came through last night - with the students on break.

It seems to be perfect timing for WNY basketball - with the void the Sabres are leaving. 

Did UB have the Senior Night ceremony after the game?  I think teams should - Rhode Island got too emotional and then got blown out. 

7 hours ago, bbb said:

Bona local fans really came through last night - with the students on break.

It seems to be perfect timing for WNY basketball - with the void the Sabres are leaving. 

Did UB have the Senior Night ceremony after the game?  I think teams should - Rhode Island got too emotional and then got blown out. 

Ohio State also did the senior night ceremony after their game. It was honestly one of the best experiences I’ve had an OSU sporting event. So well done. I like it after the game vs before. Much more loose. Of course, it helps when you win.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ohio State also did the senior night ceremony after their game. It was honestly one of the best experiences I’ve had an OSU sporting event. So well done. I like it after the game vs before. Much more loose. Of course, it helps when you win.

Yeah, after a loss would not be so good.

1 hour ago, bbb said:

Damn.  I'm just finding out now that Canisius got ousted in their first game in the MAAC tourney by Quinnipiac.  #7 seed beating #2/co-champ. 

Hate to say it but that's why UB moved on from Witherspoon. He rocks the regular season, then drops a turd in the tournament. 

• Like (+1) 1

Xavier wins the Big East regular season! Yay! The first time someone other than Villanova has won the “new Big East”. Nova had 4 losses in Conference and Xavier only had 3 - but two of those were getting drubbed by Nova. Go figure...it’s all about matchups I guess. 

The Wolverines beat Sparty for the second time this year! :w00t:

That's only the 4th loss for Michigan State all season.

Michigan is HOT going into the Big 10 tournament championship game.

Even if the Wolverines lose tomorrow, they are peaking at the right time.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

The Wolverines beat Sparty for the second time this year! :w00t:

That's only the 4th loss for Michigan State all season.

Michigan is HOT going into the Big 10 tournament championship game.

Even if the Wolverines lose tomorrow, they are peaking at the right time.

Izzo is going down 

• Like (+1) 1

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!!!

After 2 narrow losses to Purdue this season, the Wolverines continued their hot streak and took control in the second half to coast to a win today.

Big 10 Champions!

Now the trick will be keeping that intensity after a long rest for the NCAA tournament.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!!!

After 2 narrow losses to Purdue this season, the Wolverines continued their hot streak and took control in the second half to coast to a win today.

Big 10 Champions!

Now the trick will be keeping that intensity after a long rest for the NCAA tournament.

Congrats 

200w.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!!!

Big 10 Champions!

Michigan is going to be a tough out.  They have a terrific point guard & 4 or 5 reliable scoring options.  Hopefully Bona & UB could take care of business this week & get into the dance.  It could not of setup any better with Canisius for the Conference  tournament with Rider getting knocked out & Iona in the opposite end of the bracket & they still laid an egg.  Oh well, hopefully they will get an invite to the NIT. 

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

Bullsh*t AP Top 25 today !  

They must hand the ballots out to chimps 

Agreed.  Florida and Miami had one total vote between them last week, and now are both ranked. 

• Like (+1) 1

Xavier beat St Johns by 28 at MSG. SJU kept pressing until the next to last possession, so we kept playing offense. Our center scored on a dunk all alone under the basket as the shot clock ran out with seconds left. Are you supposed to play better defense, or are we supposed to set the ball on the floor and walk away as the shot clocks hits zero? 

They took offense to our offense, and had a minor scuffle in the handshake line, then one player tried to get into our locker room. I’ll give him a break as it’s a painful ending for a Senior. 

P.S. - SJU is a scary draw for a #9 seed....a team that has beaten both Duke and Nova fairly recently. 

26 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Xavier bad sports:P

You keep playin’, we keep playin’! 

Turned out poorly for SJU. 

:P

I admit to be terrified of not going deep this year. One bad night.....

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

OKay, we got the Spiders.vs Bonnies tomorrow at 6..now how to get the wifey-poo to watch instead of going to dinner.

Won't lie, be rooting for the Spiders..but if Bonnies win, I am all in on Bonnie, UB, and VA Tech!

I hope you're a Bonnie fan by about 8PM tomorrow!

9 hours ago, eball said:

Duck Fook!

saw the end of the game this morning ..my that got close! Can the NCAA do anything correctly and suspend that punk? 

Spiders made a game of it , but I am in the tank for the Bonnies, UB and VaTech for the trny.

Spiders should be good next year, everyone back. Heard from a little birdie last night Golden's little brother is Byrce is thinking of coming now.  Sign his LOI with Pitt, but Stallings being fired think he is free to look again. Supposedly better than Grant as a 4 star, the decision came down to Spiders or Pitt. Put that boy on Richmond, and we got us a top 25 team!

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1