The Defense since week 5

JPicc2114

What has happened with the defense?  The stats don't lie and confirm what we are seeing via the eye test.  31st in sacks,  30th in opponent QBR,   25th in yards per pass attempt (aka big plays)

DOCNjX0WsAAr392.jpg

Edited by Mr. Negative

The loss of EJ Gaines for the majority of games since week 8 will help explain part of the increase in pass yards. The drop from Gaines to Wright is huge IMO. But there's definitely more to it than that.

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

I think a lot of this stems from our inability to put pressure on the QB.  no pressure equals more time to find open receiver, etc. I am honestly not sure if this is a player issue or scheme issue but I really hope we can turn it around.

2% sack rate on pass dropbacks..  not the greatest.. I agree

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

5th worst in the NFL.

Raiders and Bucs are worse, which explains why the offense performed so well against those teams.

Shocking since the Raiders have Kahlil Mack..  The Bucs I understand

33 minutes ago, JM57 said:

The loss of EJ Gaines for the majority of games since week 8 will help explain part of the increase in pass yards. The drop from Gaines to Wright is huge IMO. 

Agreed.

Rushing yards per game are essentially the same and YPC is actually down vs. the week 1-4 average.     Passing yardage is up significantly and that reflects the lack of depth at CB as well as more teams exploiting the LBs in underneath coverage.    The short patterns against the LBs also help get the ball out faster, reducing the pass rush/sack stats.

Coverage LB and CB depth will be big priorities in the off-season...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Mr. Negative said:

I mean.. They have faced Derek Carr, Jameis Winston (heavy pass offenses).  But no excuse for McCown. He's having a decent season though

McCown did not have a good game overall, but he was efficient. 14/20 for 140 and a TD. As others mentioned he mostly took advantage of the gaps in the zone and exploited the weaknesses of the LBs. Other than the TD throw to Anderson they really didn't push downfield much and even that was only 25 yards

31 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Our LB corps is as weak as everyone thought it would be. It’s become a major liability in the run and pass game. Lorenzo Alexander shouldn’t be dropping into coverage at this point in his career.

And he isn't.  The problem is he should be by the design of the defense..... instead he is often stood there in no man's land while the ball is flying over his head to a tight end or running back.  

Put him at DE or bench him.  

Edited by GunnerBill

I really think that it's the pass rush. Earlier in the season we were getting pressure on QBs, now...not so much. We don't blitz a lot and depend on the front four to get pressure, but they have been doing poorly at that recently. Not sure why.

6 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

The bills were doing so well against the run that they were making teams one dimensional. 

Still doing well against the run. 

Teams are taking advantage of the soft zone coverage by the LBs, S. Wright's marginal coverage skills and lack of depth at nickle and dime DB.   They're dinking and dunking their way down field in the passing game...

image.png

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Negative said:

What has happened with the defense?  The stats don't lie and confirm what we are seeing via the eye test.  31st in sacks,  30th in opponent QBR,   25th in yards per pass attempt (aka big plays)

DOCNjX0WsAAr392.jpg

Thanks for posting these metrics which I've said for weeks now have been trending in the wrong direction.

I think the main issue with this defense is the front seven. Yes we had some sacks early in the season but it was simply a (classic) bi-product of our defense being ahead of some of the offenses we played including the Panthers that were obviously terrible to start the season.

But in terms of overall talent, this front seven has very little outside of KW (whose showing his age) and Jerry Hughes (who can't shake lose because we have no other pass rush threat).

As for the secondary and all the turnovers, most have simply been lucky and I've said all along it can't be sustained.

In the end this year's unit is what it is and why we have to rely on a true bend but don't break philosophy to mask the glaring holes and lack of talent we have. But hopefully once we get McD and Frazier some real talent to work with in the front seven their excellent track records will truly show.

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Still doing well against the run. 

Teams are taking advantage of the soft zone coverage by the LBs, S. Wright's marginal coverage skills and lack of depth at nickle and dime DB.   They're dinking and dunking their way down field in the passing game...

image.png

Totally, the LBs in coverage have been a liability. Brown had a good game against  Oakland, he made several plays. But, I wish they would have Humber and Milano on the field at the same time. Zo needs to be a rotational DE/ST ace. Teams like NE and NO will expose him with their RBs coming out of the backfield. 

Edited by Captain Murica

I think the biggest thing here is the NFL has tapes of what the new Bills regime wants to do. They always say with Rookies or new coaches once the NFL has tape they’ll catch up to you. Once they do it’s up to you to grow and adjust. 

I think McDermott is doing a good job but we can’t afford any more injuries and need to play flawless football for this team to have a chance to win.