The Newest Fad in the NFL: RPO Explained

“Another play is about to have its moment: the run-pass option. The play is simple but can be almost defense-proof. The quarterback has multiple run or pass options on a given play and the decision on which play to run isn’t made until after the ball is snapped. Unlike other plays in the post-snap-decision genre—the option or the zone read come to mind—these plays can include any kind of pass that the play-caller wants to include in the playbook. It’s already ubiquitous at the college level and growing at the NFL level, and it’s hard to find a coach who doesn’t think its influence is about to take off.”

That’s from Kevin Clark's piece on The Ringer called “The Play That Will Define The 2017 NFL Season.” He wrote it in August. 

Now he didn't predict the future out of just anywhere. The college game has been using run-pass option to facilitate some of the nations most exciting offenses for a few years now. It’s a gut punch to tradition, old school #FootballGuy but to those who yearn for fun offense, buckle up. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I was just about to post this link...great article and an easy explanation as to why both Wentz and Smith are lighting it up. If Dennison doesn't apply it, he's an idiot. 

I look at Tyrod Taylor, LeSean McCoy, Charles Clay, Benjamin and Zay Jones and I see a group fit to run it perfectly. It seems like a no-brainer if you’re Rick Dennison. 

There’s this narrative that Dennison doesn’t adapt well, and I believe that to be false. But I do have my questions as to whether he’d go as far as to make the sort of play pictured above apart of the playbook. 

A lot of these are pre snap reads based on where the "conflict defender" is aligned. Normally the QB will read the WILL on the boundary or the NB to the field. If they show inside alignment it will be an easy angle for a pass. If they align outside the receiver will take him out of the play figuratively "blocking" the conflict defender without even touching him. 

Teams like New England have been doing these for years with pass options rather than just RPO's so it's nothing new.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan905 said:

A lot of these are pre snap reads based on where the "conflict defender" is aligned. Normally the QB will read the WILL on the boundary or the NB to the field. If they show inside alignment it will be an easy angle for a pass. If they align outside the receiver will take him out of the play figuratively "blocking" the conflict defender without even touching him. 

Teams like New England have been doing these for years with pass options rather than just RPO's so it's nothing new.

Question is, can Tyrod run the RPO? Seems to me Dennison has Tyrod on a short leash. Not sure if TT audibles much to begin with. Is that a product of Dennison control or Tyrod’s inability to process information quickly (see Wunderlic arguments). If the big knock on Tyrod is he only throws to open receivers, an RPO offense with Tyrod would probably involve TT rolling out, look for an open receiver, if none open, use your legs. That’s basically what he’s doing now in a disorganized “run for your life” manner. 

Yes. I feel like I have been saying this for weeks. 

Our personnel on offense is PERFECT for more option plays. Greg Roman, Anthony Lynn, and Rick Dennison have all constructed "ground & pound; don't turn the ball over" conservative offense schemes during Tyrod's time as a starter. 

Imagine Tyrod in an offense built for his strengths. 

8 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

I was just about to post this link...great article and an easy explanation as to why both Wentz and Smith are lighting it up. If Dennison doesn't apply it, he's an idiot. 

I look at Tyrod Taylor, LeSean McCoy, Charles Clay, Benjamin and Zay Jones and I see a group fit to run it perfectly. It seems like a no-brainer if you’re Rick Dennison. 

There’s this narrative that Dennison doesn’t adapt well, and I believe that to be false. But I do have my questions as to whether he’d go as far as to make the sort of play pictured above apart of the playbook. 

we have a weak OL.  They have been absolutely dismal in the run game when we need it on the road.  

3 hours ago, LA Grant said:

Yes. I feel like I have been saying this for weeks. 

Our personnel on offense is PERFECT for more option plays. Greg Roman, Anthony Lynn, and Rick Dennison have all constructed "ground & pound; don't turn the ball over" conservative offense schemes during Tyrod's time as a starter. 

Imagine Tyrod in an offense built for his strengths. 

Tyrod holds on to the ball too long to avoid mistakes and takes sacks.  His OL doesn't do any favor for him or McCoy.  I don't think these coaches have a chance to run an open-play when the LBs are in the backfield before the ball reaches the RB.

• SDS featured this topic

Welcome to the NFL in 2017!! The college influence continues to bleed in. KC and Philly have had DYNAMIC offenses this year running a lot of RPOs. We have the personnel to do the exact same thing. The Bills ran a lot of it over the last few years (at least comparatively). Now you are seeing great offenses running it even more. The game continues to evolve. 

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Every "new" gimmick is soon defended.  

This is more of an example of the college game influencing the pro game instead of the other way around. This isn’t a gimmick as much as it is a philosophy. It even worked for Chip Kelly in the NFL. The basic philosophy is to play quickly, put speed on the field and key off the guys on the edge. It’s not heading anywhere. 

52 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Every "new" gimmick is soon defended.  

Usually too late. You use it and when it's not working you adapt. The key with TT is to keep him moving.  TT will beat 1 on 1's with most defenders. Give him the option to pass or pitch to Shady and we  got something going. When they over pursue, we start with cutbacks and draws, mix it in with Benji and a few deep shots and the defense is off guard and unable to collapse a pocket around Tyrod. What happened in the Jets game was criminal. Dennison should have been roasted for that crap.

2 minutes ago, yungmack said:

There was a comment made on MNF that the coordinator calls a formation and Stafford then calls the play from several alternatives designed within it. This is not necessarily RPO but is similar to it and an interesting wrinkle. 

But does Dennison have any faith in Tyrod as a play caller. Don't think so (and I don't think his boss does either).

so you enter the game WITH A PLAN

and you adjust it as the situation dictates

and your QB is free to make a few adjustments on his own

and then the elites march up to the line with 18 on the clock and completely read the D and bark out adjustments as the situation dictates

WOW!!  what a revolutionary set of concepts!!!

The RPO is most beneficial when it’s setting up the D for what you really want to do (power run, play action) than as your complete offense. I don’t agree that’s its that hard to defend if you study the film of the opponent, and the offense really needs to have the athletes for it to work or the defense will always take away the better playmaker. For example Tyreek Hill and Alex Smith are ideal.  The QB has to be able to flawlessly read the D in order to run it up-tempo. The main advantage for the offense is it takes an extra defender to commit to the QB at the LOS.

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is more of an example of the college game influencing the pro game instead of the other way around. This isn’t a gimmick as much as it is a philosophy. It even worked for Chip Kelly in the NFL. The basic philosophy is to play quickly, put speed on the field and key off the guys on the edge. It’s not heading anywhere. 

call it gimmick or trend ..  Defenses will adapt.   Maybe not this season but next.  

If it works for you why stop.   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

call it gimmick or trend ..  Defenses will adapt.   Maybe not this season but next.  

If it works for you why stop.   

It’s been much more of a trend than a gimmick. Over the last decade the innovation has been done at the college level and eventually adapted at the pro level. This is just more of that. We have been seeing it though with the field spread and shotgun as the new norm. It’s an evolution, not a gimmick like the wild cat. 

11 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Question is, can Tyrod run the RPO? Seems to me Dennison has Tyrod on a short leash. Not sure if TT audibles much to begin with. Is that a product of Dennison control or Tyrod’s inability to process information quickly (see Wunderlic arguments). If the big knock on Tyrod is he only throws to open receivers, an RPO offense with Tyrod would probably involve TT rolling out, look for an open receiver, if none open, use your legs. That’s basically what he’s doing now in a disorganized “run for your life” manner. 

It's not an audible, it's a package play.  If you read the will and he stays you hand off, if not you roll right.  If the corner breaks off coverage you just toss it up. 

The only issue is if you know.. they blitz or something and get to the QB before a pass can get out, or hit you when you throw.  It's certainly not defense proof, as your o-line is run blocking on a possible pass play.  Protection issues can happen easily there.

52 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s been much more of a trend than a gimmick. Over the last decade the innovation has been done at the college level and eventually adapted at the pro level. This is just more of that. We have been seeing it though with the field spread and shotgun as the new norm. It’s an evolution, not a gimmick like the wild cat. 

Oh I get it.   I see Taylor do this.  Unfortunately he does it unplanned being forced out of the pocket.   Whats surprising is when he makes the pass and it's completed for a 1st down.  

:)

23 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Oh I get it.   I see Taylor do this.  Unfortunately he does it unplanned being forced out of the pocket.   Whats surprising is when he makes the pass and it's completed for a 1st down.  

:)

QBs are completing about 90% of passes out of a rpo. That’s why we will keep seeing them. It’s basically calling the play after the snap. You read the defender and based on what he does, you decide. It’s a staple of the Philly and KC offenses. We don’t run nearly as much as we should (or did). We’ve had a lot of success with it.

16 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

...so if you're trying to win NOW while auditioning the kid for tomorrow, only a fool would refuse to loosen the leash IMO (may not be smart enough to offer such a wild opinion).....you can control his wheels so it is not a constant bailout which increases his injury risk if other elements fail, namely OL consistency which has hurt Wilson..........I would think going into camp with TT (he'll restructure from the 18 mil number because they'll be no takers  elsewhere), a 1st round draftee, Peterman and some camp pickups make some sense...........

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

We're seeing the run-pass option for two reasons: They expand a central tenet of offensive football while reducing risks, and quarterbacks are entering the league with experience in these designs.

At the core of designing a play, offenses try to identify a defender and force him to choose between two options. Your old-school option leaves a defender unblocked and stuck in conflict between the quarterback and the pitch man. If the defender collapses on the pitch, the QB keeps the ball. If the defender attacks the signal-caller, the QB flips the ball to the pitch man.