oldmanfan

Let's say you're a pro golfer and those are the last 8 scores you shoot. We can see there's a couple that were a little higher (77,76) and most that average out around 70. Then you have this 93, a really bad round.

Which of these rounds do you think predict the normal performance of this golfer, and which do not? It's the first seven rounds and not the one outlier. If you're a golfer you shrug it off and know you won't repeat that anytime soon.

Last night's game was the Bills' 93 round. They just stunk. For a lot of reasons, but they stunk. But like the pro golferit seems reasonable to conclude that they won't stink up the joint like that again. Maybe have trouble against a more elite team like the Chiefs, but I doubt they shoot a 93 again. Maybe slide into the higher 70 round like they did against Cinci. They'll get back home, lick their wounds, get back to work, and I am sure that McD will stress again the fundamentals (like tackling, which was missing last night.

So the odds would favor the Bills getting back to shooting around 70. But so many this morning now just assume they'll continue to shoot 93. Why I have no idea. Comparisons are made to past teams with past coaches and past rosters as if thathas any bearing on the current coaches and current team and current roster. All of a sudden everyone of the team stinks, because of one game vs. seven. I don't know if it's trolls hijacking a Bills website, some kind of psychological defense mechanism, or what. We'll see how things go from here out. But my guess is a week from Sunday they'll shot around a 68 on their home course.

While I agree with your premise ..... that "93" would have been a lot easier to swallow against the Falcons, Oakland, New England, Kansas City or teams of that ilk. I could have even slept well last night losing a close fought game were the ball bounced the New York way ... or the refs seemed to favor the Jets (ya gotta lose sometimes), but we were manhandled on both sides of the ball by a team we SHOULD have beaten soundly. The things we have done well up to this point were completely absent. I'm not talking about the turnovers ... they are icing on the cake ... and a result of QB pressures ... the defense shutting down the running game forcing the opponents hand into "panic passes". I'm talking about disciplined football. Minimizing pre snap penalties, maintaining our composure when we suffer a setback, making a sure tackle to minimize the opponents gains, forcing our opponent into three and outs and getting a first down or two when we have the ball to "flip the field" so we can get the field goal or maybe a TD if we get lucky.

Up until last night the Buffalo Bills presented a team that was well coached, well disciplined, and gave 100% effort until the final gun and I'm I am good with that win, lose, or draw. What we had last night was a team that was out coached, out hustled, out muscled, and generally not in the same league as the Jets.

The big test is how they recover from this ... do they "reset" get back to basics and fundamentals .... or .... do they panic and go down the toilet?

Edited by macaroni

Let's say you're a pro golfer and those are the last 8 scores you shoot. We can see there's a couple that were a little higher (77,76) and most that average out around 70. Then you have this 93, a really bad round.

Which of these rounds do you think predict the normal performance of this golfer, and which do not? It's the first seven rounds and not the one outlier. If you're a golfer you shrug it off and know you won't repeat that anytime soon.

Last night's game was the Bills' 93 round. They just stunk. For a lot of reasons, but they stunk. But like the pro golferit seems reasonable to conclude that they won't stink up the joint like that again. Maybe have trouble against a more elite team like the Chiefs, but I doubt they shoot a 93 again. Maybe slide into the higher 70 round like they did against Cinci. They'll get back home, lick their wounds, get back to work, and I am sure that McD will stress again the fundamentals (like tackling, which was missing last night.

So the odds would favor the Bills getting back to shooting around 70. But so many this morning now just assume they'll continue to shoot 93. Why I have no idea. Comparisons are made to past teams with past coaches and past rosters as if thathas any bearing on the current coaches and current team and current roster. All of a sudden everyone of the team stinks, because of one game vs. seven. I don't know if it's trolls hijacking a Bills website, some kind of psychological defense mechanism, or what. We'll see how things go from here out. But my guess is a week from Sunday they'll shot around a 68 on their home course.

Oh, i'm fairly certain the Bills have alot more stink in them........count on it.

Interesting take.

I thought so.

Ideally, you don't ever want a catastrophic failure to occur. If it comes when you moderately expect it to, you can shake it off easier. Yesterday has the higher degree of potential to do psychological harm. Especially with the long week to stew on it, see other results go for/against you.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Ten days is a long time until the next round. If the Bills are like me they will be thinking about their horrible play and can't wait to return to try and purge themselves of the sh*t taste in their mouths and the pain in their guts. They reek with with the stench of humiliation after being taken behind the woodshed in front of a national audience and just sitting their whimpering and taking the beating.

I like how you put it and certanly hope that we don´t put another 93 or even 80.

Yesterday everything went wrong, even the good plays ended bad (sack/facemask, great O´Lary catch/fumble, JMat catch/fumble)

But it all comes down to preparation and focus. I think KW even said during the week that he didnt like TNF games and probably the whole team didn´t take care of business like usual. In the other hand it seems like the Jets were ready and well prepared, you just have to look at the first play, they knew what was coming (I even knew what was coming).

I look forward to a 68 next week to bounce back. I still belive in the process and I am still exited for this season.

I like how you put it and certanly hope that we don´t put another 93 or even 80.

Yesterday everything went wrong, even the good plays ended bad (sack/facemask, great O´Lary catch/fumble, JMat catch/fumble)

But it all comes down to preparation and focus. I think KW even said during the week that he didnt like TNF games and probably the whole team didn´t take care of business like usual. In the other hand it seems like the Jets were ready and well prepared, you just have to look at the first play, they knew what was coming (I even knew what was coming).

I look forward to a 68 next week to bounce back. I still belive in the process and I am still exited for this season.

Talk to me in two weeks when we are 5-5. (5-7 if 4 wks)

Edited by BuffaloMatt

Talk to me in two weeks when we are 5-5. (5-7 if 4 wks)

I will remain the same my friend, I will even play with the Playoffs Machine to check what needs to happen to finally gets us to the playoffs, until we are out... And even then I will still trust the process.

If the 93 is shot at Augusta, you know you're not ready for the big events just yet. You froze, got nervous.

If it's at some tinpot tour event, maybe doubts creep in your mind about talent. Consistency.

Or if looking at your skill set you see that you dont have some of those ultra premiere shots then maybe you look at those rounds and think you are more 80s and you got lucky in the early rounds with a good up and down from the deep rough and a few putts you dont expect to regularly make

Turnovers are great and our ball control likewise very good but we definitely need a pass rush answer, and a reliable RB2, and hopefully KB is the WR1.

We could still go either way from here but it feels like we are a middle of the pack team that was overachieving

While I agree with your logic, the problem here is everyone expected the Bills to only shoot in the 90's all year. But they came out with those great rounds, so now wonder, were they just somehow lucky all those weeks and the 90's are going to be the rule. We'll find out over the next couple of weeks.

Up north you often don't play golf all winter, how often is one of your best rounds for the year the first time you play, it seems mainly because you don't tend to think as much what you're doing.

I will remain the same my friend, I will even play with the Playoffs Machine to check what needs to happen to finally gets us to the playoffs, until we are out... And even then I will still trust the process.

I'm not out. I'm hopelessly in. It's just so amazing that this outcome was predicted by the Bills faithful. We have been waiting and hoping to be proven wrong for our pessimistic view. But how can we stop when this team constantly reinforces the point that they are mere wannabees. And even as I type that there is that unwavering hint of hope buried deep in my chest (kinda like last night when I kept doing the math after each Jet score thinking that they have time to turn this game around) that tells me this year will be different.

I'm not out. I'm hopelessly in. It's just so amazing that this outcome was predicted by the Bills faithful. We have been waiting and hoping to be proven wrong for our pessimistic view. But how can we stop when this team constantly reinforces the point that they are mere wannabees. And even as I type that there is that unwavering hint of hope buried deep in my chest (kinda like last night when I kept doing the math after each Jet score thinking that they have time to turn this game around) that tells me this year will be different.

I know what you mean, and history tells us that we will not make it, like the last 2 times we were 5-2 and played the Jets week 8...

But I feel like this team is better, more prepared, the mental thoughness is there (not last night)...

I still see 2 ways to make the playoffs...

1) Take care of business in all of our home games (8-0 at home will be sweet) and find 1 more win away (LAC, KC, NE, MIA).

This will mean split with the Pats and the Dolphins and get to a 10-6 record.

2) Get sweep by the Pats but Sweep the Dolphins / win everything else at home. Also a 10-6 record.

This 2 have a 98% of playoffs probability and both are doable.

With the first one we will even be in the playoffs 2 weeks before the season ends...

As a competitive golfer, I get this analogy. However, you need to remember that the 68-72 scores were because we holed out from the fairway a few times (the defensive turnovers). The defense has been keeping us relevant the first half of the season.

Defense and TO are a very important part of the game, without them the Jets don´t win last night...

I had a bad feeling about this game. Especially on the short week. I'm not getting too worked up over it at this point. I was predicting 5 wins at the beginning of the season and were already there. The team has exceeded my expectations so far. I don't think the defense has many more performances like this.