Midseason draft needs

Honestly, I'm comfortable with a pure BPA approach for the first time in quite a while. WR is the only position I think we have a major need for and would be willing to make a slight reach for. Otherwise, it is mostly depth and guys to replace our older starters.

After that, in no particular order: 1-2 LB's to replace Alexander & provide depth, OG/OT with Incognito getting old, DL (primarily DT) with Kyle likely retiring or at least not being a full time starter moving forward, and a backup/future starter at RB. CB would be a smart investment I think, but McDermott has never needed to rely on premier players at that position.

As much as I would love one of the top QBs, it is not worth trading up for one with how Tyrod is looking and the coaching staff apparently being fairly high on Peterman as a developmental guy/quality backup.

I think an Alexander replacement is coming. DT would be expected. CB for depth. Olineman.

Just looking at their history in Carolina i don't see a WR in the 1st, but who knows.

Kelvin Benjamin was a 1st round pick. I think this is the type of wide out they want. Big body who can go up and snag a not so great pass over a defender

I know we are a ways away from the draft, but what do you think you've seen so far this season that constitutes being addressed early and often in the offseason? (Be it through the draft or through FA).

Coming in to this season, I thought CB/S were going to be a huge hole. Now I think we just need some depth players we could probably find later in the draft.

My top needs going in to the off-season if the season ended today would be:

Defensive line (DE/DT BPA)

WR

OT (RT / G, again, BPA)

LB

Without Question, number 1 need on this team right now is WR. It should be a slam dunk for one of our two first round picks and I wouldn't be surprised if we took a 2nd WR within the first 3 rounds if ZJ doesn't start showing consistency and significant improvement. This past week was encouraging, but it doesn't come close to erasing the disaster his season has been so far leading up to that game.

We are also woefully thin in the secondary, while the starters have done fabulous at Safety and Tre White has been a stud, the other CB is Gaines who isn't reliable from an injury standpoint and the guys behind all of the starters are murky. I would expect at least one, possibly two picks of our first 6 in the first 3 rounds to be in the secondary.

Additionally, help on both lines would be another place I can see them investing in during the first 3 rounds.

And even with TT playing well, I think there is going to be a QB taken somewhere in the first 3 rounds, but unless someone slips they really like I don't think it will be either of our picks in the first round unless Taylor starts to lose us games this year. So my list below is based on the belief that TT will continue to be what he has been this year and even get better once Clay is healthy again to go along with Jordan being back, and Deonte and ZJ showing some life.

I think our draft looks something like this.

Round 1 (2 picks) - We stay put on both and take a WR and then someone in the secondary.

Round 2 (2 picks) - Could do a move up here with some of our draft assets, but assuming we stay put I wouldn't be surprised to see a QB and then some help on either line, and not necessarily in that order.

Round 3 (2 Picks) - Wouldn't shock me to see a 2nd WR here if ZJ doesn't finish the season strong or a QB if they passed on one in the previous 2 rounds. But based on how the first 2 rounds have gone above (and assuming ZJ starts show his potential moving forward), I think another player in our Secondary and possibly a RB to backup McCoy and potentially be his eventual replacement.

Anything after this I would say would be BPA at positions needing depth.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Going on the presumption that they re-sign Matthews and Gaines, retain Glenn and move Dawkins to RT and not knowing what position(s) are addressed in free agency:

Needs in no particular order:

WR - You need 3 really good ones, I can see this in first round, a true #1 WR with speed/deep threat ability

OG - Upgrade RG immediately, also have to think about eventual Incognito replacement. Guards can be found in rounds 2 or 3

DT/DE - DT is an immediate need, even if K Williams returns, this could be a round 2 pick

LB - Outside LB needed the most, if a top notch one is available in 1st round take him

CB - This would be a depth pick with White and Gaines, so 3rd round

Taylor's progress is encouraging but I also think they need to pick a QB.

RB depth/heir apparent is needed but could wait a year. They can pick someone up to back up McCoy. Safety depth could be either free agency or later rounds. Poyer and Hyde are really good.

It's hard to say - free agency occurs before the draft so we'll know what direction we're going with at QB at that point.

I'll throw a pass rusher on there and it pretty much meshes with my thoughts.

Yeah i could see a passrusher in there too. But Davis and Yarbs have been pretty decent on spot duty as well

How do people feel about bundling our 2 first round picks (and possibly a 2nd rounder) for a top tier QB? I think most people thought this was a given at the start of the season.

Or do you prefer to take a second level QB with one of our first round picks and groom him behind TT hoping he pans out?

Identify the QB you want and go get him. That could mean trading up, could mean letting the board come to you and take him with only one pick.

It is not all about getting a QB but identifying the franchise QB and getting him where you need to get him

Take 2 QB's in the 1st 4 rounds.... I like TT but we need a 12 year locked in QB solution. then WR....

After that find a RB and a RG.

After that just take talent... not size or strictly speed... talent and drive.

If you find a 275lb nose tackle that has tons of talent but is small take him.

Yeah i could see a passrusher in there too. But Davis and Yarbs have been pretty decent on spot duty as well

Identify the QB you want and go get him. That could mean trading up, could mean letting the board come to you and take him with only one pick.

It is not all about getting a QB but identifying the franchise QB and getting him where you need to get him

Well, if you identify Rosen, good luck getting SF, Cleveland, or the Giants to trade out. I wanted Watson and Mahomes last draft.

Lots of folks looking at qb 2018 while the supposed quality has not lived up to expectations.

Who do you like, btw, at this early date? Mayfield has some Drew Brees in him and Lamar Jackson might be Taylor with more upside, imo.

Kelvin Benjamin was a 1st round pick. I think this is the type of wide out they want. Big body who can go up and snag a not so great pass over a defender

precisely the kind of WR they want. Takes care of that need.