What went wrong in 2011?

Another Fan

That opinion wasn't well received here............people pointed to a couple long bombs he completed to TO and Evans in relief of Trent Edwards in Jauron's final season........but those were just HEAVES......not the kind of accurate deep throws that scare secondaries.

I'm going to disagree on this. His Buffalo Bills longest TD pass in franchise history (98 yards) to TO was a stud play. He saw something, audibled, and hit TO on a perfect pass 55 yards down field.

It was a great regardless if he did it consistently or not.

Give the man full credit I say.

Edited by reddogblitz

Fitz was playing lights out.....Until he got that contract extension Imo.

As per his teammate, he broke a couple of RIBs in the game against Washington and then he was never the same. He threw a league leading 23 INTs.

I'm going to disagree on this. His Buffalo Bills longest TD pass in franchise history (98 yards) to TO was a stud play. He saw something, audibled, and hit TO on a perfect pass 55 yards down field.

It was a great regardless if he did it consistently or not.

Give the man full credit I say.

I didn't say it wasn't a good play but it was most certainly him just throwing it as far as he could down the sideline and letting the wide open receiver get under it.

Most QB's can make a throw like that..........the problem is hitting passes 30 yards downfield into windows with pressure..........which Tyrod does with relative ease.

Fitz couldn't execute those throws accurately enough to even keep defenses honest.............and with extra safety help in the box they could rush those throws and clog up the run game.

Part of the reason the Bills were able to keep up the charade with Fitz as long as they did was because he hit a few longer, deep middle passes to David Nelson..........but the throw down the middle is the shortest distance...........they really weren't big boy throws.........that's why the deep outs are used as a gauge of arm strength.

I didn't say it wasn't a good play but it was most certainly him just throwing it as far as he could down the sideline and letting the wide open receiver get under it.

That's what QBs do. Tommy does it. Russell Wilson does it. Drew Brees does it. Roger Staubach and Don Meredith used to do it to Bob Hayes.

Again, I don't understand giving a yeah but on what was a studly QB and WR

NFL play.

He wasn't consistent or good enough, but that was a great play IMHO.

Fitz got hit it the mouth hard by London fletcher in the win over the skins. After that hit, he stopped really stepping up into the pocket and delivering the ball on a rope. He threw ducks off his back foot the rest of the year.

Is this similar to the hit that ruined Trent Edwards career, and the 2008 season?

Fitz got hit it the mouth hard by London fletcher in the win over the skins. After that hit, he stopped really stepping up into the pocket and delivering the ball on a rope. He threw ducks off his back foot the rest of the year.

Didn't we shut them out that game?

The Bills were simply a below-average team, who played above their heads early in the season. They had a couple close wins that could have gone either way. Ryan Fitzpatrick was playing better than any other point during his career. Eventually it was bound to collapse. Seasons like 2011 are one of the reasons I remain a hardcore skeptic with the Bills. I'm (very slowly) starting to believe in this team. But it's really hard not to worry things will eventually fall apart.

The signs that a good start is "fluky" usually include:

- Playing weak opponents

- Winning lots of close games

- Being the beneficiary of an unusual amount of penalty calls, fumbles and "lucky" plays

- Staying virtually injury free

- Normally average or bad players suddenly looking great

The 2017 Bills have some of the warning signs. Almost all of their wins have been very close. They have gotten huge contributions from guys with less than stellar careers (Jordan Poyer, EJ Gaines, Micah Hyde, Ramon Humber, Deonte Thompson, etc.) They have gotten a ridiculous amount of fumbles and tipped interceptions. But they have also managed to beat some pretty good teams, overcome lots of injuries and most of their turnovers have been a result of being in great position.

OK, you're scaring me now. (Because all of this is correct.) Let me try to talk myself out of it:

- they have overcome very big injuries. Losing Clay and also Matthews meant losing your only 2 proven pass catchers. They've weathered that.

- there's no doubt a huge element of luck in creating fumbles, and even more so in recovering them. But the turnover ratio? This is an offense built on not turning over the ball. Tyrod in particular is risk averse to the point of driving us nuts from time to time, but this is a proven skill for him, avoiding turnovers.

- they've all been close, the losses as well as the wins (with the exception of the Jets in Week 1 and the Raiders today)

All right. I feel a little better. But only an actual playoff appearance will extinguish that Bills fan feeling that it's all an illusion.

The difference this year is that Buffalos biggest strength is that they are really good against the run. That wasnt true in 2011. As long as they can stop the run, they can make it harder for teams to complete drives and force them to throw into the secondary.

First, awesome game and team win. This team looks solid and has far exceeded my expectations at this point this year.

I can't help but think of the last time we started out 5-2 back in 2011. Ironically that year too they played the Jets in Week 9, hopefully this year will produce a much better result! If you recall that game was at The Ralph where the fans tried to have a White Out. It was an epic disaster that day, we got smashed.

But what went wrong that year? They just got exposed as being not that deep? Freddie was also out I believe the second half of the year and teams knew how to play against Gailey and Fitz's game plan more I think.

I'd imagine this team has more depth.

We didn't have McDermott

The Bills were simply a below-average team, who played above their heads early in the season. They had a couple close wins that could have gone either way. Ryan Fitzpatrick was playing better than any other point during his career. Eventually it was bound to collapse. Seasons like 2011 are one of the reasons I remain a hardcore skeptic with the Bills. I'm (very slowly) starting to believe in this team. But it's really hard not to worry things will eventually fall apart.

The signs that a good start is "fluky" usually include:

- Playing weak opponents

- Winning lots of close games

- Being the beneficiary of an unusual amount of penalty calls, fumbles and "lucky" plays

- Staying virtually injury free

- Normally average or bad players suddenly looking great

The 2017 Bills have some of the warning signs. Almost all of their wins have been very close. They have gotten huge contributions from guys with less than stellar careers (Jordan Poyer, EJ Gaines, Micah Hyde, Ramon Humber, Deonte Thompson, etc.) They have gotten a ridiculous amount of fumbles and tipped interceptions. But they have also managed to beat some pretty good teams, overcome lots of injuries and most of their turnovers have been a result of being in great position.

Except for shady, this team is not built on superstars which makes it easier to maintain winning along with systems we run which don't require superstars so we are st up for winning over the long haul, especially when we do get better talent.

I can remember that season pretty well as it was a confluence of issues that screwed the team that season. They started out great because the defense was getting bunches of turnovers the first five games. 17 turnovers in those first 5 wins!

These turnovers made the defense look so much better than it was and don't forget it was George Edwards as DC! The defense finished 30th in points allowed and 26th in yards allowed.

The real problems to overcome were on offense as Fred Jackson only played in 10 games, Spiller in 11. The biggest issue was that Fitz was severely injured (ribs) in that Washington game and he was never healthy again all season. Because Chan Gailey wanted to win he didn't want to rest Fitz to start Tyler Thigpin or Brad Smith. Nevermind that Gailey was attempting to make things work with smoke and mirrors on offense running 5 WR sets with only one decent WR. Gailey put the entire offense on Fitz to try and win games.

Let's not also forget that center Eric Wood went out for the year in that NY Jets game (week 9) and the offensive line never recovered until Pears took over under center late in the season. Against the Dolphins in week 10 the wheels really came off as the offense couldn't even snap the ball properly all game. Levitre moved to center in that game and he was just so bad at snapping the ball.