PFF 2017 QB rankings - Taylor # 7!

JerseyBills

Man it's so refreshing not having to scroll to the bottom of any QB related list. While many will try to discredit PFF, it is consistently cited by almost all in the NFL community. They have a system they put big money into and are definitely a credible source.

I said after week 1 that we are seeing Tyrod Taylor 2.0, I felt he improved in footwork , pocket presence and speed scanning the field. I never understood the drafting QB talk or putting Peterman in. Taylor had a winning record with a terrible,bi polar defense and I said all off season that he will do damage with a legit D.

PFF seems to agree as they have Taylor as the 7th ranked QB after 7 weeks , 6th best active QB,as Rodgers is done for 17. Beyond the numbers,he is also a very high character guy and a true leader for this offense, unless his play drastically declines, build around him with these 6 picks in the first 3 rds and create a plwerhouse for years to come..

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-qb-rankings-by-pff-grade-after-week-7

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Tyrod is his ceiling is pretty low. The good thing about Tyrod is his floor is pretty high.

I don't think he's the type you build a team around. He's the type you keep around for as long as you can until you find your franchise QB.

PFF can say what they want about him, but Tyrod has never shown that he can be a powerhouse QB. Game Manager? Yes. Solid starter? Sometimes.

The problem with Tyrod is his ceiling is pretty low. The good thing about Tyrod is his floor is pretty high.

I don't think he's the type you build a team around. He's the type you keep around for as long as you can until you find your franchise QB.

PFF can say what they want about him, but Tyrod has never shown that he can be a powerhouse QB. Game Manager? Yes. Solid starter? Sometimes.

I definitely respect your opinion but completely disagree about him having a low ceiling. I think it's much higher than ppl on here give him credit for and as he continues to evolve in this scheme, I think he proves that he is franchise QB material.

I just think he's a unique QB, as his legs are a huge strength in his game

This isn't going to go over well with a couple posters, but right now, Taylor ranks:

7th with PFF

7th in NFL.com's "QB Index"

7th in BR's Doug Farrar's NFL 1000 weekly rankings

(What continues to stand out watching Taylor is his wizardry in and around the pocket.)

and

(But his development as a pocket passer should not be overlooked. Two throws that stand out both went to Deonte Thompson. First, facing a 3rd-and-5 midway through the second quarter, Thompson ran the bending vertical route on a verticals concept working from right to left, and Taylor dropped in a precision throw to convert. Taylor hit Thompson again on a crossing route in the fourth quarter, this time releasing the ball just seconds before absorbing a hit in the pocket.)

and I especially love...

(There are times when he is a "see it, throw it" quarterback, and if he could get the ball out a hair quicker on some of these plays, he'll put his receivers in advantageous situations. But as B/R's Mike Tanier argued yesterday, "it's hard to criticize Taylor unless you deliberately set out to." He is playing the position at a high level right now and is a big reason for Buffalo's success.)

12th in Passer Rating

17th in ESPN total Qbr

17th in FO DVOA

19th in FO DYAR

There are people here who legitimately still think he's a bottom ten QB, if not one of the worst QBs in the NFL.

Those people, very simply, shall be directed to the quote referenced above: "it's hard to criticize Taylor unless you deliberately set out to." :nana:

This isn't going to go over well with a couple posters, but right now, Taylor ranks:

7th with PFF

7th in NFL.com's "QB Index"

7th in BR's Doug Farrar's NFL 1000 weekly rankings

(What continues to stand out watching Taylor is his wizardry in and around the pocket.)

and

(But his development as a pocket passer should not be overlooked. Two throws that stand out both went to Deonte Thompson. First, facing a 3rd-and-5 midway through the second quarter, Thompson ran the bending vertical route on a verticals concept working from right to left, and Taylor dropped in a precision throw to convert. Taylor hit Thompson again on a crossing route in the fourth quarter, this time releasing the ball just seconds before absorbing a hit in the pocket.)

and I especially love...

(There are times when he is a "see it, throw it" quarterback, and if he could get the ball out a hair quicker on some of these plays, he'll put his receivers in advantageous situations. But as B/R's Mike Tanier argued yesterday, "it's hard to criticize Taylor unless you deliberately set out to." He is playing the position at a high level right now and is a big reason for Buffalo's success.)

12th in Passer Rating

17th in ESPN total Qbr

17th in FO DVOA

19th in FO DYAR

There are people here who legitimately still think he's a bottom ten QB, if not one of the worst QBs in the NFL.

Those people, very simply, shall be directed to the quote referenced above: "it's hard to criticize Taylor unless you deliberately set out to." :nana:

Exactly,at this point I just ignore them, especially when almost every fan of another team praises him when I say I'm a Bills fan.

It's clear these Bills fans are biased against him for whatever reason

I completely agree with your first 2 paragraphs.

Regarding your last paragraph, I think the insinuation is that a more consistent game manager with a high floor and lower ceiling is often more desirable than a high ceiling and low floor.

Basically, you know what you're getting with Taylor, rather than someone like Winston who throws 3 picks in week 2 and gave his team no shot to compensate as they lost by 2 scores before coming back the following week to throw 3 TDs and be the main reason for his team's win.

Oh yeah, and he was effin terrible against the Patriots missing WIDE OPEN WRs consistently.

Sound familiar?

Too unpredictable for some. Taylor's floor is predictable. His ceilings are nice surprises. We just need to see them more 0:)

@PFF_Steve

PFF QB rankings after Week 7

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-qb-rankings-by-pff-grade-after-week-7

7. Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills – 84.4 overall grade

1707-Taylor.jpg

Taylor continues to play at a very high level, playing to his strengths and avoiding any detrimental mistakes, which allows his team to be in position to win close games. Although his accuracy was off a bit early on, he settled in with a few big runs and key conversions on third down, including a deep cross completion to WR Deonte Thompson in tight coverage while taking a shot in the process. Taylor was fairly aggressive down the field throughout, going 4-of-10 for 116 yards (third-most this week) and a touchdowns on throws traveling 20-plus yards, including his biggest play of the game, when he stepped up through the pocket and found Deonte Thompson yet again for a 59-yard gain that flipped the field and put them in position for a game tying touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Yes, also 'then' and 'than' are obvious. So are 'compliment' and 'complement'. The death of 'an' seems to be imminent. If people are not careful of what they write they might unintentionally propose the opposite of what they mean. It just takes a little bit of proofreading and then all will be well.

Screw that I want to win games that are not close.

Then you should find a different sport to follow. The 49ers lost 5 straight games and were outscored by 13 total points in that span. The NFL doesnt lend itself to consistent, one-sided games. Thats why there are so many teams bunched up. Edited by Kirby Jackson

He's been a PRO for how long? You're still talking about his ceiling? This Tyrod is as good as he's ever going to get. Unless he gets help from a super-natural wideout like Sammy. Guess what we don't got Sammy. Tyrod maximized.

Then you should find a different sport to follow. The 49ers lost 5 straight games and were outscored by 13 total points in that span. The NFL doesnt lend itself to consistent, one-sided games. Thats why there is so many teams bunched up.

I know that scoring has been down considerably this season. I made mention of this before that I think it is due to the quality at QB around the league.

But I can still dream can't I?

pretty please?

He's been a PRO for how long? You're still talking about his ceiling? This Tyrod is as good as he's ever going to get. Unless he gets help from a super-natural wideout like Sammy. Guess what we don't got Sammy. Tyrod maximized.

If the Buc's game was TT maximized then sign me up baby!!! I will take that performance all day, every day

When was he supposed to be a powerhouse QB? Under Rex? Taylor is what he is sure, but he is no different than Wilson out in Seattle. Build him a monster roster and he can win a ton of games, as long as he don't forget to run with the football about 10 times per game.

Funny, on Good Morning Football yesterday they had someone tweet a fantasy question as to whether they should start Carr or Tyrod this Sunday and they said Tyrod because his floor was higher. They said Carr could get you a bunch of points but he also could get completely shut down by the Bills Defense. They said Tyrod will get his points regardless of the opponent because of his ability to create opportunities.

He's only got about 37 starts. He was never a natural high draft pick QB. 37 starts is like his infancy. What he's proven is he can play QB in the NFL. He's never going to be the best QB in the league but we know that. What he is is a good player who needs a team around him.

Just let him play his style of game. Quit expecting him to be something he's not. He's a guy that manages a game, is careful with the ball, and presents a somewhat unique threat with his mobility and running. Why try and force him to play a style that doesn't play to his strengths?

With him at QB they will rarely be out of games, especially the way the D plays. And if he can come up with some more fourth quarter efforts like he did Sunday great.

That said, I still believe Peterman starts next year. More upside. And that they'll draft a guy in round 1 or 2.

Exactly,at this point I just ignore them, especially when almost every fan of another team praises him when I say I'm a Bills fan.

It's clear these Bills fans are biased against him for whatever reason

Nobody here is going to be comfortable with Tyrod for the same reason nobody is willing to accept this is a good Bills team and Tyrod scares the hell out of opposing DCs. 17 years of underperformance for the Bills and 2 years of barely adequate QB play from Tyrod has everybody, including Taylor's biggest supporters playing the wait and see game. There's no bias here, it's a defense mechanism. We've all had enough disappointment to last a lifetime.

Better get ready for every game from here on out to be like week 17 and needing the win to make the post season. Being loveable losers was so much easier on the cardiovascular system.

I agree with the poster mentioning Wilson. Give TT Seattle's roster and he will win just as many games and be doing television commercials. They are very similar in so many respects. If he continues to develop in second half I am confident we won't "chase" a quarterback like we were forced to do with EJ. Then we were forced to anoint him prematurly when Kolb was ruthlessly attacked by a rubber mat. We won't have to do this either - no reason to rush any QB we might draft. And they have to get through Peterman before they get the right to challenge TT, and he may have something to say about that. Our QB situation is the best it has been since Kelly.