Juan Castillo Talks Bills' OL Blocking Schemes

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing that Castillo's idea of fixing the o-line would be to clone Vlad Ducasse 4 times.

...nepotism is a poor excuse to hire someone over their demonstrated career achievements....and Castillo accolades are where?.......oh wait,he 's another vaunted Ravens coach just like Train Wrecks was, which worked out how?...........spare me the pain........

13 years coaching in Philly under Andy Reid. A great amount of success. Castillo has always been regarded as a very good line coach. It's not working here so far in part because we haven't had any tackles of any quality so far this year. RG is an issue as well. That's 3/5 of your oline. That's the issue.

Edited by klos63

Castillo became the defensive coordinator for the Eagles following the firing of Sean McDermott on February 2, 2011.

The hiring was met with surprise by players, fans, and members of the media primarily because Castillo had not coached the defensive side of the ball since he was at Kingsville in 1989.

I did not know that till now.

13 years coaching in Philly under Andy Reid. A great amount of success. Castillo has always been regarded as a very good line coach. It's not working here so far in part because we haven't had any tackles of any quality so far this year. RG is an issue as well. That's 3/5 of your oline. That's the issue.

....so don't you have to adjust the scheme to best fit the personnel you have to work with?......not going to find quality tackle(s) at this late date IMO....

He's the worst thing to happen to the Bills' o-line since Pears.

you mean moving Pears to R guard under Marrone was the worst thing ? and sitting Urbik ?

It is the majority of it. But who is responsible for execution of the play called ?

Coach has to fix it. Coach owns whatever his Men do or not do during the game.

Maybe the Defense should go into teaching mode more often.

you mean moving Pears to R guard under Marrone was the worst thing ? and sitting Urbik ?

....dunno about that....Dopey Dickie Jauron moving the behemoth tackle Langston Walker, 6'8" and 370 lbs from the right side to the blind side is my #1.....moved slower than Rosey O'Donnell despite being better lookin' IMO...........

....so don't you have to adjust the scheme to best fit the personnel you have to work with?......not going to find quality tackle(s) at this late date IMO....

I didn't say that. You asked about his 'accolades'. I just mentioned part of his resume with the Eagles where he established himself as a quality Oline coach. I think Andy Reid is probably a top 3 HC of the last 20+ years, if someone is on his staff for 13 years, I would tend to think he is of high quality.

It is the majority of it. But who is responsible for execution of the play called ?

Coach has to fix it. Coach owns whatever his Men do or not do during the game.

Maybe the Defense should go into teaching mode more often.

I don't disagree with you that the coach needs to help fix this line, but I don't think he has a lot to work with. If Glenn returns , I think that goes a long was to improving the line play. Hopefully Dawkins or Henderson could help on the right side. And put Miller back at RG.

I didn't say that. You asked about his 'accolades'. I just mentioned part of his resume with the Eagles where he established himself as a quality Oline coach. I think Andy Reid is probably a top 3 HC of the last 20+ years, if someone is on his staff for 13 years, I would tend to think he is of high quality.

I don't disagree with you that the coach needs to help fix this line, but I don't think he has a lot to work with. If Glenn returns , I think that goes a long was to improving the line play. Hopefully Dawkins or Henderson could help on the right side. And put Miller back at RG.

....sorry for confusion...it was a question versus accusation......so even though he was with Andy for 13 years, he is now exempt from changing his scheme to fit the personnel he has to work with or do we whittle the round pegs into his square holes?....adjust or not is the question....

....sorry for confusion...it was a question versus accusation......so even though he was with Andy for 13 years, he is now exempt from changing his scheme to fit the personnel he has to work with or do we whittle the round pegs into his square holes?....adjust or not is the question....

I agree, but I don't think we should overlook the drop in quality of the line with Glenn out. It's a huge factor. I don't understand Vlad, I will give you that. Also keep in mind, we will likely have 4 new starters on the line next season, so I'm sure that may play into his thinking as well. He will want players that are better fits for what he likes to use.

Edited by klos63

This.

Like to know more about J. Miller vs Ducasse from the Coaches POV

the run game was working pretty well in the second half against Atlanta. Then the next game you replace Miller for a scrub. You need to play Miller and stop messing with the chemistry. WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE OLINE COACH FROM LAST YEAR.

you blow it up, you blow it all up. thats the way it works in the NFL.

Gotta bring bsck the read option plays. Its like having an awesome tool in your belt and not using it.

you'll probably see it tomorrow....

Wouldn't that be on Dennison or McDermott? Castillo coaches the oline. He doesn't decide the systems.

Exactly what I've been saying for several weeks.

Execution has held the offense back, especially in the run game. Scheme wouldn't look so bad to some folks if those plays weren't being left on the field or negated by penalty.

Same thing with the zone read option.

What I don't necessarily agree with is the ability of the linemen. They pulled across the line frequently last year at all positions.

Execution can suffer if it doesn't match your personnel and changes from a scheme they have proven to excel at

Castillo has not had any success in his career unless hes attached to an offensive guru. Either Reid or Kubiak. History speaks for itself. Look it up.

Dennison has done absolutely nothing in his career without Kubiak. History speaks for itself. Numbers dont lie.

Dennison and Castillo are borderline serviceable when paired with premier offensive mind. They are not good enough on their own unfortunately. You guys will get it sooner or later. These guys have been around the block bc theyre able to attach themselves to the right coach and help him run HIS scheme. But make no mistake about it - the Dennisons and Castillos of the NFL world are expendable; while the Andy Reids and Kubiaks of the world are not.

Castillo has not had any success in his career unless hes attached to an offensive guru. Either Reid or Kubiak. History speaks for itself. Look it up.

Dennison has done absolutely nothing in his career without Kubiak. History speaks for itself. Numbers dont lie.

Dennison and Castillo are borderline serviceable when paired with premier offensive mind. They are not good enough on their own unfortunately. You guys will get it sooner or later. These guys have been around the block bc theyre able to attach themselves to the right coach and help him run HIS scheme. But make no mistake about it - the Dennisons and Castillos of the NFL world are expendable; while the Andy Reids and Kubiaks of the world are not.

I'm just hoping they are one and dones, but were hired as the best available after other options didn't pan out. Give them a chance, see if you can catch lightning in a bottle, and be prepared to move on.