Tyrod starts because he plays the same game every week

In a word, the man is consistent. Look at his averages over 34 games here:

205 yards/game

1.26 TD/game

.4 INT/game

2.86 sacks/game

That is his stat line practically every week.

in 2017 his numbers are:

182 yards/game

1.2 TD/game

.4 INT/game

3.6 sacks/game

Pretty much identical to what he has done over his entire 34 game span here. He is what he is, which is also a GOOD THING for trying to win games. McDermott knows what he is going to get and can plan around it. He knows he'll get 1 or 2 TD and 200 yards with a turnover every other week.

Is it good enough to really win in this league? I don't think so. People point to the Chiefs and Alex Smith as a model. As good as the Chiefs are we all know what is going to happen when they play NE when the game really counts. Their career numbers are pretty close though (Smith and Taylor) although this season Smith is averaging about 100 yards a game more than Taylor, which is a career anomaly.

So yea, it can get a LOT worse. If a QB like Tyrod (who doesn't put up the passing yards to keep you in games or catch up) turns it over more you're likely 1-4 or 0-5 right now.

A guy like Tyrod has value as a solid backup long-term, but he is also a guy who has had just enough success to expect a starting role. It's too bad because he would be an amazing backup QB for the long-term guy. He's literally the definition of the perfect backup: consistent, takes care of the ball, good teammate, can get you a few wins without losing you games.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And when he is still our starter week 1 2018 what happens to his may sayers? Peterman is garbage.

I'd rather him start 2018 than throw some rookie in with a young team, a line working on improving and lackluster WR's.

I am a Tyrod fan, but we do need an upgrade at some point. I do see us drafting someone high, and then slowly bringing him along as a backup.

I am a Tyrod fan, but we do need an upgrade at some point. I do see us drafting someone high, and then slowly bringing him along as a backup.

I was more a fan of Fitz as a person because of his odd character. We ditched him too soon and look how that cost us. Taylor is better than Fitz because he doesn't make the mistakes and can connect on the long ball to our 5.6 second 40 yard dash speedsters.

The problem with this assessment of Taylors play is the averages are caused by the lowest passing attempts in the league something of which is determined by the OC 's in the Bills run heavy O.

Is the information accurate, sure, but the Bills also led the league in total rushing and average per attempt. ( previous season )

Edited by Figster

Sorry. I'm tired of settling for a 182 yd per game manager. Mix in an occasional 4th qtr comeback. The TT era is over for me. Love to see Mason Rudolph compete with Peterman.

Absolutely! This is the guy I've been watching all season. Both Rudolph and Peterman have shown the ability to CHANGE the outcome of a game. That's the mental part of a QBs game you can't teach. They have it, Rosen has it, Darnold, Allen and Jackson... not so much. Taylor not at all.

Edited by billsfan60

The problem with this assessment of Taylors play is the averages are caused by the lowest passing attempts in the league something of which is determined by the OC 's in the Bills run heavy O.

Is the information accurate, sure, but the Bills also led the league in total rushing and average per attempt. ( previous season )

the non volume driven stats arent any better.

2016 season he ranked:

19th in completion %

21st in yards per attempt

19th in yards per completion

18th in QB rating

25th in 4th quarter comebacks

27th in game winning drives

the non volume driven stats arent any better.

2016 season he ranked:

19th in completion %

21st in yards per attempt

19th in yards per completion

18th in QB rating

25th in 4th quarter comebacks

27th in game winning drives

More the type of information that can tell you something.

thanks

Note: I will say again however, volume or non volume when a team pays more attention to one part of the O/run, another part/pass gets less attention/ attempts on the practice and playing field.

There is no substitute for reps...

Edited by Figster