Halloween/Trick or Treaters

Another Fan

Yes... But. Towns around here will do that, something is missing. Its like trick or treating in a vacuum.

Like playing in a domed stadium. Too "sterile."

Yeah, I could see that. And they would not get to see all my cool glowing light set-ups, so there is that.

We bought a house last year, and learned in our neighborhood, parents take their little ones out in golf carts (its a “old money” community and I think my wife may be the only wife that works.) That said, we learned that every house, the parents sit at the end of the driveway with a bowl of candy for the kids and a cooler of beer for the adults. I used to hate Halloween.

We bought a house last year, and learned in our neighborhood, parents take their little ones out in golf carts (its a old money community and I think my wife may be the only wife that works.) That said, we learned that every house, the parents sit at the end of the driveway with a bowl of candy for the kids and a cooler of beer for the adults. I used to hate Halloween.

Youre up on Breyer right? You got a pool up there...

Yeah, I could see that. And they would not get to see all my cool glowing light set-ups, so there is that.

Yep this! There is a hard middle to maintain.

One town over has a "trick or treat trail"... It's on the village bike path, through the woods, forest preserve and held on a Saturday closest and before Halloween. That's nice for the little one's, but through the years it has turned into one big advertising campaign for area business... You come home with more junk mail than candy! Who wants banking advice and where to buy hardware... It's Halloween!

We bought a house last year, and learned in our neighborhood, parents take their little ones out in golf carts (its a old money community and I think my wife may be the only wife that works.) That said, we learned that every house, the parents sit at the end of the driveway with a bowl of candy for the kids and a cooler of beer for the adults. I used to hate Halloween.

And you wonder why kids still hate it. God forbid they walk up to the door.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

That's what I am talking about, the suburb of Sylvania, Ohio. When was it small, 1880? 1910?

Census Pop. %±

1880 523

1890 545 4.2%

1900 617 13.2%

1910 1,002 62.4%

1920 1,222 22.0%

1930 2,108 72.5%

1940 2,199 4.3%

1950 2,433 10.6%

1960 5,187 113.2%

1970 12,031 131.9%

1980 15,556 29.3%

1990 17,301 11.2%

2000 18,670 7.9%

2010 18,965 1.6%

Est. 2016 18,909 [12] −0.3%

~Source: Wikipedia ("American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.)

I used to stay all around Toledo when sounding Maumee Bay. It was never "small" when I was there. That Toldeo Strip area is just like the area I live in now. Actually, my town I live in now is half the population of what Sylvania was.

Sylvania since 1970 has been a medium sized suburb. I live in a small suburb now. We get trick or treaters from small country towns.

is that Township or city of? The city of Sylvania at least the area where I lived was relatively small and everybody did truly know each other in the extended neighborhood I would say I knew 90% of those who live within three or four miles of me which is probably into the thousands

Yep this! There is a hard middle to maintain.

One town over has a "trick or treat trail"... It's on the village bike path, through the woods, forest preserve and held on a Saturday closest and before Halloween. That's nice for the little one's, but through the years it has turned into one big advertising campaign for area business... You come home with more junk mail than candy! Who wants banking advice and where to buy hardware... It's Halloween!

And why the dentist's house gets egged for handing out toothbrushes and toothpaste...

I live in a development in the burbs, so its a good place for kids to walk around without having to worry about getting run over. We average somewhere between 50-75 kids.

The wife usually buys twice as much candy as we need and eats it for the next month.

Will be here already in a matter of weeks. Do you get a lot of trick or treaters where you live?

Back in the 90's where I used to live we would get swamped with them but less and less each year. I think it's because things are more catered and people are more and more afraid of who could be answering the door so to speak.

Mischief night as well. It used to be popular but nobody's done anything for years where I live.

Mischief night would be reported as a terrorist attack these days.

Will be here already in a matter of weeks. Do you get a lot of trick or treaters where you live?

Back in the 90's where I used to live we would get swamped with them but less and less each year. I think it's because things are more catered and people are more and more afraid of who could be answering the door so to speak.

Mischief night as well. It used to be popular but nobody's done anything for years where I live.

I live in a cul de sac. Id say almost 80% of neighbourhood participates. Young and old. Folk down the street have been having a house party for the last few years. It becomes a long weekend here running into the Melbourne Cup.

this will be our third halloween in this house. the first year we had one kid show up. the next year, we had two. i'm not even going to god damn bother this year.

Our first year in our house, we ran out of candy after about 30 minutes. Turned all the lights out and took the puppy for a walk.

Our first year in our house, we ran out of candy after about 30 minutes. Turned all the lights out and took the puppy for a walk.

my in laws and aunts have the same thing going on. literally hundreds of kids. two was too many for me.

Is this a euphemism for something creepy? You know, turning the lights out is redundant. You probably are aleady blind! What's the point.

LOL! "Taking the dog for a walk" used to be my euphemism for that, ironically!!

But this was 9 years ago, when my dog was, indeed, a puppy.

Incidentally, I haven't run out of candy, since.

Where we lived in Florida it was crazy. There would be literally hundreds of people riding around on golf carts (usually with a cooler on the back). No one comes to your door, they set up stations in the driveway. Sometimes it was a candy bar, sometimes it was a live band with a taco station and margaritas, or a haunted house in a huge garage. The alcohol flowed. It was as much for the adults as the kids. Then at the appointed time everyone heads for the club where they had DJ's and costume contests. Very serious stuff!

Where we live now, there are about 70 houses, and one with a kid living there. Car loads of kids get driven in though as we are easy pickings with the houses close together.

Where we lived in Florida it was crazy. There would be literally hundreds of people riding around on golf carts (usually with a cooler on the back). No one comes to your door, they set up stations in the driveway. Sometimes it was a candy bar, sometimes it was a live band with a taco station and margaritas, or a haunted house in a huge garage. The alcohol flowed. It was as much for the adults as the kids. Then at the appointed time everyone heads for the club where they had DJ's and costume contests. Very serious stuff!

Where we live now, there are about 70 houses, and one with a kid living there. Car loads of kids get driven in though as we are easy pickings with the houses close together.

This is what I'm up against. 84-home development and at least 90% give out candy.