Halloween/Trick or Treaters

Another Fan

Will be here already in a matter of weeks. Do you get a lot of trick or treaters where you live?

Back in the 90's where I used to live we would get swamped with them but less and less each year. I think it's because things are more catered and people are more and more afraid of who could be answering the door so to speak.

Mischief night as well. It used to be popular but nobody's done anything for years where I live.

Were in a small town...I mean real small. The parents walk with their kids up to 6th grade or so. 7th - 12th graders go out around our village and get candy too...and generally hang out. We usually open our house to kids (or friends) that want to come in for a break, have a snack etc. We go through 2 or 3 big giant bags of candy handouts. Total investment: about $40 for the night.

We get more kids/families from other neighborhoods than our own.

I generally spend about $60 on candy.

Where I'm from, we call the night before Halloween, "Cabbage Night."

When I was a kid, it was egging houses and toilet papering trees. I did neither (seriously).

I think that tradition has died, which is a great thing.

My son and I will decorate the porch this weekend. We want to get some more props. We usually do it up to be pretty gory.

I want to scare the schit out of kids this year.

We get more kids/families from other neighborhoods than our own.

I generally spend about $60 on candy.

Where I'm from, we call the night before Halloween, "Cabbage Night."

When I was a kid, it was egging houses and toilet papering trees. I did neither (seriously).

I think that tradition has died, which is a great thing.

My son and I will decorate the porch this weekend. We want to get some more props. We usually do it up to be pretty gory.

I want to scare the schit out of kids this year.

Want to scare them. Get a doorbell cam. Guy at work has one. We were working last year and he saw a trick or treater come up on his iPhone before his wife could answer door... So, he starts talking to the kid. Scared the living Bejesus out little trickster! LoL...

We'll be on a cruise this Halloween as we did in 2016.

Our neighbor has 100 houses and is a popular destination from 'outsiders' .

There will be several trucks parked at the beginning of the neighborhood and

the kids with parents will walk to all of the houses.

Usually we get 200 kids

Haven't had one in over a decade. Spend about $100 on candy.

In Ohio we would easily get 5-600. The inner city kids from Toledo came out to us

How could you tell where they were from?

where else do they come from? Everyone in my town knew each other. And all the country folks didn't come as far in to town.

To answer your question:

Other "inner country town" folk? Other suburbs? Michigan?

I live in a town 1/2 the size you did and there is no way I am knowing all 9,000 people.

I spent a lot of time in the Toledo Strip when I used to survey Maumee Bay. There are whole bunch of smaller towns there compared to bigger suburbs like say Oregon or Sylvania. I used to stay in both those suburbs... They both have about 20k people.

It's kind of like where I live now in Illinois on Indiana border. We get trick or treaters from other towns/suburbs, doesn't have to be "inner city." One town over from me is considered a city... It has around 20k people living in it.

I consider "small town" under a 1,000 people, if even that. I'd draw the line @ 500 moving downstate "Illiana." Maybe then, and only then, would I "know everybody." But, in a town of 20k... LoL, forget about it!

To answer your question:

Other "inner country town" folk? Other suburbs? Michigan?

I live in a town 1/2 the size you did and there is no way I am knowing all 9,000 people.

I spent a lot of time in the Toledo Strip when I used to survey Maumee Bay. There are whole bunch of smaller towns there compared to bigger suburbs like say Oregon or Sylvania. I used to stay in both those suburbs... They both have about 20k people.

It's kind of like where I live now in Illinois on Indiana border. We get trick or treaters from other towns/suburbs, doesn't have to be "inner city." One town over from me is considered a city... It has around 20k people living in it.

I consider "small town" under a 1,000 people, if even that. I'd draw the line @ 500 moving downstate "Illiana." Maybe then, and only then, would I "know everybody." But, in a town of 20k... LoL, forget about it!

I didn't live in Toledo. Sylvania. City of. And back when it was small

I didn't live in Toledo. Sylvania, OH. City of. And back when it was small

That's what I am talking about, the suburb of Sylvania, Ohio. When was it small, 1880? 1910?

Census Pop. %±

1880 523

1890 545 4.2%

1900 617 13.2%

1910 1,002 62.4%

1920 1,222 22.0%

1930 2,108 72.5%

1940 2,199 4.3%

1950 2,433 10.6%

1960 5,187 113.2%

1970 12,031 131.9%

1980 15,556 29.3%

1990 17,301 11.2%

2000 18,670 7.9%

2010 18,965 1.6%

Est. 2016 18,909 [12] −0.3%

~Source: Wikipedia ("American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.)

I used to stay all around Toledo when sounding Maumee Bay. It was never "small" when I was there. That Toldeo Strip area is just like the area I live in now. Actually, my town I live in now is half the population of what Sylvania was.

Sylvania since 1970 has been a medium sized suburb. I live in a small suburb now. We get trick or treaters from small country towns.

When I lived in north Buffalo we lived on a great street; 45/50 houses gave out. We'd have kids from the suburbs being dropped off by the carload. :huh: I can't even tell you how many hundreds of kids we'd have in 3 hours.

In our subdivision where we currently live, it is a fair stretch between lots, and the kids really have to move to get in "enough" houses. When we first moved in, we had less than ten trick-or-treaters for years. However the houses are turning over to families (from the older, original owners) and the last two years we've been around 75 kids. I find that impressive for the amount of walking we have to do. I always buy some nice, individual chocolates from local candy shops. This year, I got our stash from Platters in North Tonawanda. Hopefully, the kiddos will like these chocolate covered rice krispie things.

I wish our town would have a weekend, daytime trick-or-treating instead of on Halloween night.