USA Today article on Beef on Weck

In my humble opinion, this is 100% false. I say it because I've been going to Schwabl's consistently, about 3 times a year, since 2009. Including this past July. It's identical to every other time I've ever been there.

The weck roll at Seabar is AMAZING. Also get the Asian cucumber salad with it.

That's great to hear (Schwabl's). It would suck if they changed the place/food, too much. Truth be told, though, the BoW is about the only thing I'd get there.

And with all due respect, that thing at the Seabar looks like an abomination. Same thing with the BoW "dip". Then again, I'm an old fuddy duddy.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And with all due respect, that thing at the Seabar looks like an abomination. Same thing with the BoW "dip". Then again, I'm an old fuddy duddy.

If you've never had it, I'll personally buy you one. It's incredible. The horseradish sauce is key....the texture is amazing. Remember, it's not fish in there.....it's beef!

Anacone's (also on Bailey) was always among my favorites, as they hand carved it, right at the bar (like the old Creekside, and Creekview restaurants). It always benefited from being served all day (opening til closing, I think), cheap drinks, and a great jukebox. RIP Anacone's.

There was a paint store next door to Anacone's and I worked for them painting houses in the summers. We'd meet back at the store, and go next door to a couple of wecks, and some Molson on tap. The only place I knew of that played big band music on the jukebox.

Good times.

If you've never had it, I'll personally buy you one. It's incredible. The horseradish sauce is key....the texture is amazing. Remember, it's not fish in there.....it's beef!

I don't like/use horseradish (or mustard, actually). And it's not because of the heat. I love hot peppers (habanero, datil, scorpion, etc) but that love of heat doesn't translate to other "hot" foods---a tiny bit of wasabi is OK, I suppose, but don't ask me to eat kimchi.

The idea of nouvelle beef on week, appals me.

I always liked the little rat hole Kelly's Tavern on Delaware. Great beef on wecks. Cost about 75 cents for a shot of rotgut whiskey or a Genny beer.

Kelly's Korner? Great place. Also has pretty decent wings. I haven't been there in a few years, but it was always "Niagara Falls cheap".

A couple years ago, I was bar hopping from Niagara Falls to Buffalo. I was tormenting (via email/text/calls) old WNYers who now live in NYC, Boston, LA,SF, etc. "I'm at the Wagon Wheel. Just had a Maker's Mark for $2.50", "Lou's Lounge. gin and tonic for $2" and stuff like that. The closer I got to Buffalo, the more the drinks cost---by just a little (still very inexpensive) and there were exceptions. Then I stopped at Caputi's on Sheridan during happy hour, and my drink was something like $8.50. Screwed up the entire pricing structure of the afternoon.

I don't like/use horseradish (or mustard, actually). And it's not because of the heat. I love hot peppers (habanero, datil, scorpion, etc) but that love of heat doesn't translate to other "hot" foods---a tiny bit of wasabi is OK, I suppose, but don't ask me to eat kimchi.

Kelly's Korner? Great place. Also has pretty decent wings. I haven't been there in a few years, but it was always "Niagara Falls cheap".

A couple years ago, I was bar hopping from Niagara Falls to Buffalo. I was tormenting (via email/text/calls) old WNYers who now live in NYC, Boston, LA,SF, etc. "I'm at the Wagon Wheel. Just had a Maker's Mark for $2.50", "Lou's Lounge. gin and tonic for $2" and stuff like that. The closer I got to Buffalo, the more the drinks cost---by just a little (still very inexpensive) and there were exceptions. Then I stopped at Caputi's on Sheridan during happy hour, and my drink was something like $8.50. Screwed up the entire pricing structure of the afternoon.

Yeah, my bad. Kelly's Korner. Great place.

Caputi's was one of my local watering holes. Grew up close to there so I still have friends that go there. Know the owner and bartenders. It's not cheap at all.

Yeah, my bad. Kelly's Korner. Great place.

Caputi's was one of my local watering holes. Grew up close to there so I still have friends that go there. Know the owner and bartenders. It's not cheap at all.

A long time ago I was hanging with a chick who was a regular there. Always liked the place. Don't recall it being expensive back in the day (did it have another name?) but I was making plenty of money, and wasn't paying that much attention. One of the reasons I went there is, I remember it being a great place. Plus I was traveling along River Road (quick stop at Mooney's in Tonawanda). Didn't seem like the same old spot. It was OK, but a little more upscale" than I remember. Did they go through some change?

I had beef on weck at the bar across the street from the Big Tree last year. IT seemed exceptionally salty, and I'm a salt guy. There's a place down here that is pretty well known for their beef on weck.

http://shankstavern.com

That's a beautiful bar.

A long time ago I was hanging with a chick who was a regular there. Always liked the place. Don't recall it being expensive back in the day (did it have another name?) but I was making plenty of money, and wasn't paying that much attention. One of the reasons I went there is, I remember it being a great place. Plus I was traveling along River Road (quick stop at Mooney's in Tonawanda). Didn't seem like the same old spot. It was OK, but a little more upscale" than I remember. Did they go through some change?

It's been Caputi's for years and years. They did make it a little more upscale than it used to be. Decent food and they always get a decent crowd. There is a bar a few doors down, in the same plaza, so like less than 100 yards that is cheaper and good food, The Deuce.

It's been Caputi's for years and years. They did make it a little more upscale than it used to be. Decent food and they always get a decent crowd. There is a bar a few doors down, in the same plaza, so like less than 100 yards that is cheaper and good food, The Deuce.

Good to know. Thanks.

Glad they included Bar Bill...great beef on weck at that joint.

Schwabl's is my go to for beef on weck, but the Bar Bill is a close 2nd. And the Bar Bill's wings are awesome. (Personally prefer them to Duff's which blow away the Anchor Bar's ones.)

Yeah... You would think the "idea" of nouvelle beef would be appalling to me also... But the taste is wonderful and I like uncooked, raw beef.

The rarer the better when cooked.

And you know me... I am not a trendy guy. LoL...

I agree Charlie is slightly overrated, but still damn good. Back when I lived there, you couldn't even get a beer. That sort of destroys it for me. But their beef is typically pretty good, in my experience.

Schwabl's was always one of my favorites, but I have heard they've gone way downhill, in the past year, or so. I can't say personally, but that's what I hear.

Bailo's was very popular, and OK if you liked the "well done, heavy gravy" type of BoW. Not my favorite style, but they did a good job with it.

Anacone's (also on Bailey) was always among my favorites, as they hand carved it, right at the bar (like the old Creekside, and Creekview restaurants). It always benefited from being served all day (opening til closing, I think), cheap drinks, and a great jukebox. RIP Anacone's.

I don't remember Anchor bar having even a decent BoW. But it's been ages since I've been there, so maybe they've improved.

I'm extremely disappointed in myself, as I have never been to Bar Bill. I keep hearing how great their wings, and beef, are. Next time in the Bufftown area, I'll have to make a point of going there.

I'm a little surprised old standbys like McPartland's weren't mentioned. Not my favorite BoW, but a great place.

Mister Dee's may not have the best Bow, or the best Wings (or fish fry), but I think they might be top-5/10 for all of those classic Buffalo dishes. Plus they are a great airport stop (arrivals and departures). A mini BoW and 6 wings, is a killer combo for a guy who has been out of the area for a year. Throw Mr. Bill's in there, for a great airport stop.

Eckl's still around? They used to have a formidable BoW, from what I remember.

Finally, for now, the Glenn Park Tavern, in Williamsville, had a fabulous BoW, the past couple times I was there.

PS. And WTF is that monstrosity at The Ward? It looks like puke in a bowl.

Nice call. On Anacone's!

Anyone remember Bailo's at Bailey & Lovejoy? That was my first beef on weck. The horseradish was so strong it made you cry just opening the jar. Don't bother looking for them. They're long gone.

If you click on the slideshow for best sandwiches in each state, check out the Philly Pork & Greens from DiNic's at the Reading Terminal Market. So good and not unhealthy.

Bailo's was a go too place after drinking. When we frequented it anyways. At the time they had the largest beef on weck in Buffalo. The beef was not that tender. Then kind of remember they were accused of using horse meat. lol. . Which was BS. I also remember a car driving into it. And the end was not far behind.

SEA--- never had a bad meal there in my life. Their unique beef on weck roll is awesome

CHARLIES-- never got the love for the place besides the fact they are close too'the airport. Most bars do way better.

BAR BILL-- IMO the best around. These days. But avoided on home game weekends.

At our annual tailgate last week it is "All you can eat" and I was so tempted to spend more time in line to get beef on weck (Charlie the Butcher's recipe) than watch the game. Jimmy has got a local bakery to make kimmelweck rolls for him and after several years they are perfect. I saw a number of people eating Sahlen's hot dogs on them.

Tony DiPirro, the Regional Sales Manager for Sahlen Packing Co., contacted me about partnering with us. They are looking to partner with various Bills Backers groups so if you want contact PM me.

I thought the original Bailo's burned down?

Pretty sure it had a big fire. I can't remember if that fire was the end of the place, or if they came back after. Somebody here will know, I'm guessing.

Schwabl's is my go-to every time in town.

Don't sleep on Connor's as well.

overated place in west seneca

Schwabl's is my go to for beef on weck, but the Bar Bill is a close 2nd. And the Bar Bill's wings are awesome. (Personally prefer them to Duff's which blow away the Anchor Bar's ones.)

bar bill used to be good,sucks now

I always liked the little rat hole Kelly's Tavern on Delaware. Great beef on wecks. Cost about 75 cents for a shot of rotgut whiskey or a Genny beer.

giant beef there

Frank's Grill on Broadway in Lancaster is one.

another one overated