NFL.com: Gregg Rosenthal's QB Index

I think it was 60-40 on Zay. But to claim the ball was "right where it needed to be".... I just can't look at that play and see how that is the case. Zay is out of his break when Tyrod throws it.

EDIT: I'll leave it there though.... no need to rehash week 2's arguments. We are on to the Jets.

It's crazy to me that the biggest complaint about Tyrod (by far) is his inability to throw to a spot and always having to wait until the receiver is open before throwing. Yet when he actually did it, and the WR ran the wrong route and screwed it up, he gets lit up by the fans for that too!

Serious question, have you seen the replay from the endzone camera that stayed on Tyrod? There's a slow-mo version of it that shows that Tyrod was looking left up until the last second before the throw. He turned his head to the right and threw to a spot in basically one motion. He didn't have time to see Zay's break and know exactly where he was on the field. He read the defense, knew that Zay should have some room, looked off the play, and made the exact throw he was supposed to make at the exact time he was supposed to make it.

The only argument to the contrary that makes sense is if you are saying that he should have stared down his receiver and thrown it to where the WR was instead of where he was supposed to be. So basically to NOT be the NFL quality QB that everyone wants him to be.

I am not even close to a Tryod homer, and that one play has nothing to do with whether or not I think he can be a "franchise" QB, but thinking that play was his fault is just disregarding what actually happens on the field.

Acantha - I have seen that angle. I still don't think the ball was right where it should have been. It was catchable - yes. But even if Zay had not stumbled had carried on the sloppy route and caught it based on where the ball is thrown he is down at the 5 rather than in for the TD.

I actually think what happened is that Tyrod did try and adjust his throw at the last minute to Zay's route. I put it more on Zay but the ball was not "right where it needed to be". I have never argued it wasn't catchable or that Zay wasn't to blame.

As for wanting him to make throws... yep. And I have said multiple places on this board two of my favourite Tyrod plays the past two weeks were incompletions and one of them was the play he was almost picked on last Sunday.

But that last play in Carolina was a mediocre throw, a bad route, and a desperate attempt at a catch.

Acantha - I have seen that angle. I still don't think the ball was right where it should have been. It was catchable - yes. But even if Zay had not stumbled had carried on the sloppy route and caught it based on where the ball is thrown he is down at the 5 rather than in for the TD.

I actually think what happened is that Tyrod did try and adjust his throw at the last minute to Zay's route. I put it more on Zay but the ball was not "right where it needed to be". I have never argued it wasn't catchable or that Zay wasn't to blame.

As for wanting him to make throws... yep. And I have said multiple places on this board two of my favourite Tyrod plays the past two weeks were incompletions and one of them was the play he was almost picked on last Sunday.

But that last play in Carolina was a mediocre throw, a bad route, and a desperate attempt at a catch.

If this is the play I'm thinking of, I still contend, as a Bills homer, that Zay should have gotten the benefit there and the Refs should have thrown the flag for D PI.

so you were being difficult just for the sake of it i'm assuming? the nice ball tyrod tossed over his shoulder to him in the ATL game should have 100% been caught even though he had to stretch out for it. it was a drive killer on 3rd down at the end of the first half and the falcons proceeded to march down the field and score before halftime. I see what you're doing. you are arguing just for the sake of it. but just becuz a receiver has to stretch out for a ball doesn't mean it excuses the freaking blatant drop.

sunday was good to see. but isn't it a little sad that anyone has to pump up the fact that he finally had a game where he didn't drop any passes? come on man.

Have I said Zay is not at fault? No, I have not.

Have I said that TT could have thrown a more accurate ball? Yes. It's not a lie as he's not always dead center on target. No QB ever is.

I have also said you can't trust the targeted stats. This past week Zay caught in fact 4/4 one of which was OOB and (not his fault) making it 3/4.

The statline said Zay was 3 of 5 because Tyrod threw the ball OOB by 3 or more yards and Zay was the closest Bill in the area 5 yards from the sideline.

My last input (because it really is water under the bridge) :

Zay's heroic attempt at a catch was caused by two factors : (1) He didn't track the ball until it was literally right on top of him, and (2) That caused a panicked play on the ball, because it was coming on the inside, not the outside. That caused him to slow, twist his body and jump nearly vertically. Just locate the pass a split-second sooner, and he could have ran it out, pulling it in over his left shoulder. Route aside (and I've never heard anyone confirm what route was called), it was solely the difference between inside and out. Jones couldn't adjust to the pass coming in on a different side of his body.

So to assign blame, there's two steps :

(1) Jones' ball awareness (or lack thereof) prevented him from making the simplest adjustment to play the ball. That's so fundamental you could stop right there. Receivers running long routes track the pass and adjust to it's path; you see it every game. And given Zay's stumbling twisting leaping attempt still resulted in the ball slipping thru his fingers, the adjustment would have been negligible - if Jones hadn't put himself in a position where it was impossible to do so.

(2) The maximum blame left for Taylor comes (a) if you assume it was a front pylon route, which puts his pass slightly inside where it should be, which I do, (b) if you think Zay's natural expectation would be to look for the ball on the outside - which is probably fair, and ( c) if you think Taylor's leading the play inside wasn't for cause. Assume all three, and you get to 70-30, Jones/Taylor

But it sure looked like it was for cause. Where Jones was expecting the ball would have led right into coverage and then out of bounds. Where Taylor put the ball was away from coverage, into open space and towards the endzone. I think he was throwing to a clear spot and expected Jones to adjust. That would have been automatic with Watkins; Jones was just a little too inexperienced.

Edited by grb

If this is the play I'm thinking of, I still contend, as a Bills homer, that Zay should have gotten the benefit there and the Refs should have thrown the flag for D PI.

The Bills play calling that day was utterly pathetic. Their game plan was terrible and I blame the lions share of the loss on that. On the final drive the Bills were moving the ball well until the OPI call. Would certainly have been nice for a makeup call there but it's hard to do when Zay tripped himself. Won't put the loss on the ref as I subscribe to the theory of it's your fault that your in a position where one call can cost you the game but I hated that OPI call. The Bills were moving the ball right down the field before that and it put them in a giant hole.

• 2 weeks later...

I grade each snap taken during the season and have Taylor ranked 15th among starting quarterbacks so far this year. He finished each of the last two seasons no lower than No. 18 in the QB Index. Pro Football Focus has him ranked ninth this season, and he's currently 16th in passer rating with 10 touchdowns against three interceptions. Not to mention, Taylor boasts one of the best skill sets as a runner in football. He's a capable starter in a league short on them, but the Bills clearly don't want him. This is the type of move that teams don't look back from.

On 10/4/2017 at 4:36 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

These numbers say through week 4, where is he now through week 9.

Sorry, should have read this thread all the way through.   Please move on, carry on.

Edited by SinatraSinger
Didn't realize that what I was responding to was 6 weeks ago.
  • Haha (+1) 1

Rosenthal: Ranking all 32 starting QBs in the NFL

With one quarter of the regular season to go, Rivers and Roethlisberger are two of the familiar names back near the top of the QB Index. They grew to be familiar names for a reason.

This is the Quarterback Index. The QBs are ranked based on 2017 play only. This updated list reflects changes from the midseason rankings.

5b7ojk.jpg

On 11/8/2017 at 2:12 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Wentz is an 85 and Taylor an 84.3?    What the :censored: is up with that :censored: 

#SP

It's a conspiracy...the media is trying to convince the Bills to keep Tyrod so that a top QB prospect doesn't get wasted in  Buffalo (that's how the media feels, imo)...only select markets are allowed to succeed...never forget "Just give it to them"...you would never hear a ref saying that in favor of the Bills. :ph34r:

Edited by JaCrispy