How losing Gilmore helped Bills build a winning secondary

YoloinOhio

Not a great point when looking objectively at the Bills' receiving corps. Make that receiving corpse.

When E.J. Gaines is clearly outperforming Sammy at their respective positions and our defense is winning big games- plural- this is not a great counterpoint.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When E.J. Gaines is clearly outperforming Sammy at their respective positions and our defense is winning big games- plural- this is not a great counterpoint.

He's on an offense that leads the league in scoring and is among the best in the league when targeted with one great performance on TNF. Both teams have a 3-1 record. Interesting that Matthews is injured (out for at least a month) for the 2nd time this season and Gaines seems to get nicked in every game and might not even play this Sunday.

NBCSPatriots @NBCSPatriots

·

Oct 5

.@AlbertBreer: There has been 'ZERO shock' in Buffalo watching Stephon Gilmore's performance over the past few weeks.

#GoPats #GoBills

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCSPatriots/status/916094533183647744/video/1

#Bills source to Albert Breer on Stephon Gilmore: ''Loved to blame everyone else, he sucked last year.' http://bit.ly/2y16Zzd #BillsMafia

The decisions that were made this off season so far are the best that I can remember in a very long time. The beauty of it all is not just the on the field immediate impact that have been provided by Gaines, Matthews, poyer, Hyde, white, Dawkins, Thornton and Hauschka but also removing a couple players who were not team first kind of guys which I believe can not be understated. Not to mention all these moves gained an additional 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder for next years draft. Think about that for a second and let it sink in.

That's crazy good. Alot of reasons for Bills fans to be optimistic.

Edited by Magox

·

Oct 5

.@AlbertBreer: There has been 'ZERO shock' in Buffalo watching Stephon Gilmore's performance over the past few weeks.

#GoPats #GoBills

You dont say....

Hmm the coaches and FO made the correct decision AGAIN, contrary to the hot takes around stating we were going to only win x amount of games because Gilmore isnt here. The truth is that Gilmore kacked any relative consistency on the field. He lacked effort when tackiling players. All of his inconsistencies ked to even more inconsistent back end. Hes setting examples for the db group.

I was really skeptical at first not seeing us resign him once the Pats gave him a large payday. McD and Beane did a great job with our secondary. Hats off on solid moves. I'm over Darby and Gilmore at this phase 100%.

Edited by Real McCoy

Its also a basic difference in philosophy - Rex was ok with CBs who could cover but not tackle.

We now have 11 willing tacklers on defense now - hard to believe we had games of giving up 225+ yards 3x just a year ago. Not happening this year,

Gilmore & Darby could be awful tacklers - play the tape of the Steelers game in Buffalo last year

It's really not a "McBean" thing. It's a long standing Bills pay hierarchy that several GMs have operated under and apparently shared. Not really new. 2nd contract players at CB are overpaid relative to their value. Unless it's a true game changer a la Peterson , Revis ( in his prime) Talib etc they just aren't worth the $$. So you draft one high and keep them at a reasonable cost over five years. Then you move on. You pay QBs , LTs , pass rushers , offensive stars and dominating D linemen. Defensive rule changes have contributed to this among other things. If you think it started with Bean you are mistaken.

In other words they are anti- "Bill in NYC".

That is debateable. Is a market rate deal for a top WR overpaying? It's a passing league despite what you may want to believe. We will see if the trade was a good one or not. The Bills don't have a lot of highly paid stars. They can afford some market rate deals for offensive players.

Maybe they cannot afford to have player spending so much time with training staff rehabilitating.

·

Oct 5

#GoToHellPatsFans #GoBills

Corrected.

The decisions that were made this off season so far are the best that I can remember in a very long time. The beauty of it all is not just the on the field immediate impact that have been provided by Gaines, Matthews, poyer, Hyde, white, Dawkins, Thornton and Hauschka but also removing a couple players who were not team first kind of guys which I believe can not be understated. Not to mention all these moves gained an additional 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder for next years draft. Think about that for a second and let it sink in.

They also replaced the 3rd CB Nickell Robey-Coleman with Leonard Johnson which seems to work well although I liked Nickell Robey-Coleman .

This is the current and future state of One Bills Drive exactly. On top of that, Gilmore is eating a large portion of the Patriots salary cap. Bonus!

Gilmore was straight up horrible with the Bills. He lost us many games. It was so obvious watching ga es that he just doesnt have the mental toughness or will to be a NFl player. He has all the physical tools for sure but its a waste. Gilmore leaving the bills made us better and going to the Patriots made them worse. It was the best case scenario for us. I just hope she. We play them this year he gets burnt all game.

Edited by wppete

From an article today:

"I can just tell you that there was zero shock in Buffalo watching him play the last few weeks," Breer said. "The guys who are there, who have coached him, who have played with him, are not surprised at all from what they've seen. In fact, I'll tell you what one source in Buffalo said to me about him. 'Loved to blame everyone else, he sucked last year. We were all surprised when he got a big deal. Not a competitor. He has no dog in him.

From an article today:

"I can just tell you that there was zero shock in Buffalo watching him play the last few weeks," Breer said. "The guys who are there, who have coached him, who have played with him, are not surprised at all from what they've seen. In fact, I'll tell you what one source in Buffalo said to me about him. 'Loved to blame everyone else, he sucked last year. We were all surprised when he got a big deal. Not a competitor. He has no dog in him.

Link? I must get this shared ASAP.

From an article today:

This is pretty much what I always thought about SG. Doesn't want to do the dirty work, no fire in the belly to be great. Just happens to be pretty good at man to man coverage. Not interested in doing much else.

He's on an offense that leads the league in scoring and is among the best in the league when targeted with one great performance on TNF. Both teams have a 3-1 record. Interesting that Matthews is injured (out for at least a month) for the 2nd time this season and Gaines seems to get nicked in every game and might not even play this Sunday.

He's had one game to be proud of.

Invisible in the others.

Sammy is touted as elite by some, albeit unsubstantiated, Gaines and Matthews are not.

This pretty much confirms my thoughts on SG.

Dude's a slug. :thumbdown:

He's had one game to be proud of.

Invisible in the others.

Sammy is touted as elite by some, albeit unsubstantiated, Gaines and Matthews are not.

Two quiet games out the four they have played thus far. He'll be playing Sunday which more than we can say for Matthews and likely Gaines too. Irony.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatkSa00/gamelog/2017/