Beating Bengals would be more impressive than last two.

webtoe

As impressive as the last two wins have been, it is altogether different to go on the road against a familiar conference opponent as a slight favorite and pull out the victory. It was not too many years ago that the Bills went to Cincinnati 'on a roll' and got their ass handed to them.

I am cautiously optimistic at the moment, but get this W and I will be fully on the bandwagon.

Not sure I would consider it impressive, but a 3 game winning streak (including 2 straight on the road) with guys banged up throughout the roster is best you can ask for heading into a timely bye week.

And remember, if the Bills do lose they will be exactly where they were last year at this time record wise and the doubts about this team start to creep in.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't read the thread, just the title. It's not true. At Atlanta is the most impressive win this year. They are one of the top couple of teams in football and it was on the road too.

Have to agree...They were the NFC Champions in 2016 and were a quarter away from a dominant Super Bowl win. Only thing better would be beating the Super Bowl Champions themselves.

I don't think this would be a more impressive win if we pull off this game, but it would signal a change in the Bills culture. Beating teams we should beat has not been a given during the drought. Injuries at WR are going to make it tough if the Bengals offense is truly revived because I don't think we win a track meet with most teams. I haven't seen much live this year so I am still skeptical of the defense holding up against good QBs (not sure Dalton is one). My guess is we need to running game going and Tyrod can hook up with Clay like he did last week to keep the defense off balance. I'd like to see some production from Jones as he should be getting more comfortable in the system after 5 weeks.

Go Bills!

I say Atlanta would still be more impressive, BUT I get where you are coming from.

This is the game the Bills haven't won in the past 17 years: the game where we have something going and have a shot to really take a step into solid playoff contention.

Too often we have been 4-2 or 3-1 and then lost a couple. This is where the team needs to take that step, get to 4-1 and heal up for the stretch run.

Have to agree...They were the NFC Champions in 2016 and were a quarter away from a dominant Super Bowl win. Only thing better would be beating the Super Bowl Champions themselves.

As a stand-alone win, yes, beating the NFC Champions in their building is impressive, but as a statement win for the new direction of the franchise this would be a bigger statement win.

It's not going to mattering they win this game , it's not going to change around here or anywhere, it will just be that they beat a bad team they should have, and if they lose it will be that they are the same old bills and we would hear how their wins were flukes as they pump up the Bengals tires.

It's typically how the national media handles buffalo teams. Even when they are great they find someway to try and bring them down. When they discuss the early 90s teams, do they sit there and talk about how huge of an accomplishment it was to appear in 4 straight super bowls? The majority of the talk outside of buffalo is about how they lost all 4. This team could have a perfect season and the talk would most likely end up about how they had an easy schedule, or about how a media darling team (pats, cowboys, etc.) Were the truly better teams but an injury or bad call or tougher overall schedule held them back. What have the cowboys done to deserve the benefit of the doubt over other teams recently?

You would think that beating the Broncos and falcons with a very close loss to the Panthers would have them as regular favorites over a 1-3 team, whos win came agaist the Browns, by now

As a stand-alone win, yes, beating the NFC Champions in their building is impressive, but as a statement win for the new direction of the franchise this would be a bigger statement win.

you are correct, beating a 1-3 team who just got their first win against the Browns is the way you make a statement. Not beating actual top tier teams like the Broncos and Falcons after holding down the Panthers and almost getting a win their too.

You really think the media is going to be sitting their after a win against the Bengals and say "I was skeptical about the Bills after they beat ATL and DEN, but now that they beat the 1-3 Bengals, I'm sold that this team is for real!"?

If they aren't sold that this team may be good by now with how they started the season (sure they may have had similar records in previous years but who were those wins against?), this game is t going to mean anything if they win. It will be, yeah they beat a team they should have beat. And if they lose it will be, same old bills.....

It's not like the Bills are winning these games, or almost winning these games because of a fluke play or major luck. They are playing good defensive football and good special teams while not giving the ball away or taking stupid penalties.

You really think the media is going to be sitting their after a win against the Bengals and say "I was skeptical about the Bills after they beat ATL and DEN, but now that they beat the 1-3 Bengals, I'm sold that this team is for real!"?

I really don't give a sh#t what the media thinks. Bills will not get real respect until they actually make the playoffs, and even then only if they win once they get there.

I am looking at the big picture, not individual game results. These are games the Bills lose in the past. The Bengals are desperate and at home, and the Bills will not be sneaking up on them. I think the Bills are on the right track and a win will solidify MY feeling that they are ahead of schedule.

I say Atlanta would still be more impressive, BUT I get where you are coming from.

This is the game the Bills haven't won in the past 17 years: the game where we have something going and have a shot to really take a step into solid playoff contention.

Too often we have been 4-2 or 3-1 and then lost a couple. This is where the team needs to take that step, get to 4-1 and heal up for the stretch run.

yup

I wouldn't call this game a cake walk, CIN has looked like a different team since firing their OC. They do have a defense and they do have some talent. They looked like crap the first 2 weeks but then gave GB a run for their money at Lambeau and won last week. We lost some starters and some players are really going to have to step up cause CIN is in desperation mode and are going to pull out all the stops cause this is a must win for them.

This game is about testing the emotional resilience of the team. A mature, confident team does NOT have let-downs after big wins. We'll see where they are at.

Well....maybe that makes the Atlanta win even bigger after beating the Broncos? :)

I freely admit the Bengals game scares me... a lot.

Well....maybe that makes the Atlanta win even bigger after beating the Broncos? :)

I freely admit the Bengals game scares me... a lot.

Yes and no. It's easy to get up for the presumed Superbowl contenders. Harder to get up on the road against a team much like yourself but mired with a losing record.

I would not be worried about the result. I am more interested in the consistency of the effort. If they lose but there was consistency in effort across the board, I'm happy.

Bills fans have become way too confident in this team. Yes, a 3-1 record is nice. But we've been 3-1 before. Hell, just last year under Rex we were 4-2.

The offense still stinks. And after losing our #1 WR, it's going to likely stink more.

Meanwhile, the Bengals defense is for real.

I have the same question as I did going into the Panthers game: can our offense score against their defense? If you can't score points then it doesn't matter how good your defense is - you're not going to win.

Did we beat two Super Bowl teams on our way to 4-2 last year? This year is way different. Also you can win championships with defense. It's been done several times.

Yes and no. It's easy to get up for the presumed Superbowl contenders. Harder to get up on the road against a team much like yourself but mired with a losing record.

I would not be worried about the result. I am more interested in the consistency of the effort. If they lose but there was consistency in effort across the board, I'm happy.

I was not discussing the Bengals at all, just directly addressing the point of the "emotional resilience" going into the Falcons game being even larger since we came off a nice win. You can't argue against yourself, can you? :)

As impressive as the last two wins have been, it is altogether different to go on the road against a familiar conference opponent as a slight favorite and pull out the victory. It was not too many years ago that the Bills went to Cincinnati 'on a roll' and got their ass handed to them.

I am cautiously optimistic at the moment, but get this W and I will be fully on the bandwagon.

Good post, it would be impressive showing focus and maturity.