No challenge on Tolbert TD

OhDozeBills

Was everyone else screaming for this play to be challenged? A clear TD, Tolbert had total possession when the call broke the plane and somehow the Bills don't challenge. They wind up getting a bit lucky on the next play with the tipped ball right into Holmes hands.

Anyway, haven't seen this discussed since it didn't cost us, but this could of been a game changing decision not to challenge. Makes me a bit nervous about their challenge process moving forward.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was everyone else screaming for this play to be challenged? A clear TD, Tolbert had total possession when the call broke the plane and somehow the Bills don't challenge. They wind up getting a bit lucky on the next play with the tipped ball right into Holmes hands.

Anyway, haven't seen this discussed since it didn't cost us, but this could of been a game changing decision not to challenge. Makes me a bit nervous about their challenge process moving forward.

it most definitely wasn't a clear td. he didn't maintain control throughout his football move and turn up field. it would have easily been upheld.

it most definitely wasn't a clear td. he didn't maintain control throughout his football move and turn up field. it would have easily been upheld.

Agreed I think it was a td but also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't overturn it. I was however shocked by the overturning of the Sanders catch which I thought was a catch and then fumble.

Nop, it was the same as the Sanders Catch / no Catch... he didn´t complete the catch as he felt down and lost the ball.

For me it was a good no challenge.

But what I like to see there is the referees call the TD so it would have to be reviewed. I think all controversial calls in the end zone should be given the proper review, not just scoring plays.

Should he have challenged, maybe. If he was wrong we would probably see this thread in the opposite direction.

I was honestly thinking they were going to call the play a fumble out of the endzone when watching the replay so I'm not going to complain they didn't challenge.

Agreed I think it was a td but also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't overturn it. I was however shocked by the overturning of the Sanders catch which I thought was a catch and then fumble.

also thought this was any easy call that they got right. the final replay they showed at the stadium cleared it up pretty well. my buddy sitting beside me was a broncos fan and agreed it wasn't a catch.

I just wasn't really surprised by either play. I thought they got them right.

I didn't see any after the game replays or photos to show it either way, but I thought McD should have challenged, too.

I was glad he didn't. if you understand the rules of what a catch needs to be now it was a clear incompletion.... that comes off as me being a know it all. but it seemed really clear to me.

You never know. I thought for sure the refs wouldn't overturn the (I think) Sanders play when Tre Bien White knocked the ball out. And thought it was a catch. But they did. The calls on those are so inconsistent.

Nop, it was the same as the Sanders Catch / no Catch... he didn´t complete the catch as he felt down and lost the ball.

For me it was a good no challenge.

But what I like to see there is the referees call the TD so it would have to be reviewed. I think all controversial calls in the end zone should be given the proper review, not just scoring plays.

Once the ball breaks the plane the play is over in this case though. He wasn't going to the ground when he caught it and took several steps while cutting toward the goal. The announcers thought it would be called a TD when they saw the replay. Either way, nothing is cut and dried with NFL officiating and not challenging could have been costly on the scoreboard.

I was honestly thinking they were going to call the play a fumble out of the endzone when watching the replay so I'm not going to complain they didn't challenge.

That's what it looked like to me, and why I was so relieved when DENVER did not call for a review. Sean I think is a smart cookie, and knew the risk of the fumble and touchback was real.

That's what it looked like to me, and why I was so relieved when DENVER did not call for a review. Sean I think is a smart cookie, and knew the risk of the fumble and touchback was real.

Either way it was close. McD may be smart, but like every other HC he can't see what they are seeing upstairs . The decision to challenge or not is really dependent on what the guys upstairs say. HC doesn't have access or time to make that call.

Once the ball breaks the plane the play is over in this case though. He wasn't going to the ground when he caught it and took several steps while cutting toward the goal. The announcers thought it would be called a TD when they saw the replay. Either way, nothing is cut and dried with NFL officiating and not challenging could have been costly on the scoreboard.

Every time I ever recall seeing this situation, it is always ruled incomplete.

The receiver has to maintain possession through the tackle even though the ball broke the plane. It is always the same rule.

Only time it's not is when you see a guy reach the ball out over/inside a pylon. For some reason they don't make him maintain possession through the tackle.

I would rather have them stay consistent with the calls so you know what to expect.

This is what I was thinking too. He caught it, turned and took two steps. The ball was firmly in his possession when he broke the plane. It's a TD to me and should of been challenged.

Not sure I agree, it could only be ruled a touchback if it's ruled a catch and the ball was fumbled before getting into the end zone. I've watched this play several times, and it's clear he has full possession when the ball touches the white line.