Tyrod QBR

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Objectively: facts do suggest TT is elite in three areas (i) running the ball, (ii) leadership and work ethic, and (ii) not turning it over. Given these three clear, strong positives can't he still be considered a "quality QB" if a couple of his other passing categories are not quite as great as other "quality" NFL QBs?

I for one think so - TT is not a conventional QB and is difficult to measure by conventional standards. But he has stabilized the position for us. I think part of the reason the fan base is so divided on him is the fact that he is not conventional -- exciting to some, an erratic "halfback at QB" to others. I am looking forward to seeing how he does the rest of this year and will root for him and reserve judgment until it is over.

Objectively: facts do suggest TT is elite in three areas (i) running the ball, (ii) leadership and work ethic, and (ii) not turning it over. Given these three clear, strong positives can't he still be considered a "quality QB" if a couple of his other passing categories are not quite as great as other "quality" NFL QBs?

The answer is:

It's quite possible.

Just depends if he

A) continues to do these things well

B) shows improvement in his weaknesses

C) he leads a team to the playoffs

I for one think so - TT is not a conventional QB and is difficult to measure by conventional standards. But he has stabilized the position for us. I think part of the reason the fan base is so divided on him is the fact that he is not conventional -- exciting to some, an erratic "halfback at QB" to others. I am looking forward to seeing how he does the rest of this year and will root for him and reserve judgment until it is over.

Very good summary of the situation. One concern I would have about committing to Tyrod is, what is his game going to look like when he gets older and banged up and loses some of his mobility and elusiveness?

Don't tell me what to do!

Tyrod has never been to the playoffs as a starter, btw.

While what you say is true...I am trying to figure out what that even means

he has only been a starter for one team.....he qbd a team that was top 10 in offense....the defense was grossly bad

Not the D is good...lets see if the offense (which is a new one for everyone) improves over the course of the season

While what you say is true...I am trying to figure out what that even means

he has only been a starter for one team.....he qbd a team that was top 10 in offense....the defense was grossly bad

Not the D is good...lets see if the offense (which is a new one for everyone) improves over the course of the season

Sounds just like Drew Brees....

So maybe the problem of not making the playoffs don't all fall on Taylor which is what some want to claim.

As a TT supporter

It does not directly fall on tyrod tayler....but at some point you have to ask a starting qb to take a team and put them on their back for a much needed win.

If that qb cannot do that? Then you need to continue your qb search......

Now.....tyrod has had a opportunity to do that one time this year and was actually on his way to doing it when zay dropped that pass....we really should be undefeated right now

As a TT supporter

It does not directly fall on tyrod tayler....but at some point you have to ask a starting qb to take a team and put them on their back for a much needed win.

If that qb cannot do that? Then you need to continue your qb search......

Now.....tyrod has had a opportunity to do that one time this year and was actually on his way to doing it when zay dropped that pass....we really should be undefeated right now

Of course. I'm not saying we don't need a better QB. I'm fully on board with drafting one. I just think Taylor criticism is overboard when the team had bigger problems.

Taylor did carry this offense last week and he still gets criticized because he didn't get 300 yards for example.

The answer is:

It's quite possible.

Just depends if he

A) continues to do these things well

B) shows improvement in his weaknesses

C) he leads a team to the playoffs

Another plus is Taylor's bad games are never completely horrible. Compared to Dalton's first game or Carr vs Washington, TT's worst never hits rock bottom. Even during the Carolina debacle, he kept plugging away and was efficiently inefficient (or inefficiently efficient). Taylor never loses his poise or lets things spiral out of control. The problem? There are way too many of those inefficient games. That's where I see his objective this year : Pare down those games to a bare minimum per season, then you get a lot of Jets-Broncos games, with an occasional Miami. And that would be a pretty damn good quarterbacking.

The backup quarterback is a fairly important position on any team. There ain't a lot of them. If one injury kills your whole season that makes the backup gig important by definition.

Good thing Flacco didn't get injured and instead threw 12 TD's to no picks in the playoffs.

His play in the postseason was arguably the most important reason they made it to and won the Super Bowl.

Good thing Flacco didn't get injured and instead threw 12 TD's to no picks in the playoffs.

His play in the postseason was arguably the most important reason they made it to and won the Super Bowl.

So what. That doesn't negate the fact backup QB is an important position. I and a lot of others here have been saying that for years.