I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

But this is a 2nd round pick. The issues he's having are issues that a) one would expect from an UDFA and b) would result in almost any other WR being cut in training camp.

I hope he figures it out.

But I remember hoping Aaron Maybin would figure it out, too.

I'm not optimistic.

It used to regularly take receivers 2-3 seasons before they learned a system enough to make an impact. For some reason that is not always the case these days, and more players have an impact in year one, so fans have become less patient. I think he will keep getting better and be a key contributor soon enough.

It used to regularly take receivers 2-3 seasons before they learned a system enough to make an impact. For some reason that is not always the case these days, and more players have an impact in year one, so fans have become less patient. I think he will keep getting better and be a key contributor soon enough.

That should be expected minimum given where he is now.

Yesterday's stats:

Tyrod to Zay: 2/9 (22.2%) for 17 Yards (1.89 YPA)

Tyrod to everyone else: 18/24 (75%) for 251 Yards (10.46 YPA) and 1 TD

One of the Sirius XM football channels devoted several minutes to Zay this morning - and not in a nice way. They reported his season catch rate was below 22%, while every other Bills WR had a catch rate % in the 60's or higher (Mathews was highest, in the 70's). This is not a slight difference - it's a cliff drop! I personally wish him well, and would not give up on him, but he needs seasoning and practice time to figure things out - and until then, he should not be seeing as many game day targets as he is.

36 targets on the season (if I remember right) is starting-WR target numbers, we need more production on those targets or we are handcuffing ourselves. It's not like this is a lost season and we can afford to let him slowly figure things out over a full season.

One of the Sirius XM football channels devoted several minutes to Zay this morning - and not in a nice way. They reported his season catch rate was below 22%, while every other Bills WR had a catch rate % in the 60's or higher (Mathews was highest, in the 70's). This is not a slight difference - it's a cliff drop! I personally wish him well, and would not give up on him, but he needs seasoning and practice time to figure things out - and until then, he should not be seeing as many game day targets as he is.

36 targets on the season (if I remember right) is starting-WR target numbers, we need more production on those targets or we are handcuffing ourselves. It's not like this is a lost season and we can afford to let him slowly figure things out over a full season.

Reason # 1,635,214 that the NFL needs a Developmental League.

It's called the practice squad gugny

There isn't enough high end football talent to justify a full developmental league.

Just not enough guys with enough talent and size

There is if they stop pretending these "student-athletes" are actually students. Another discussion for another thread.

There is if they stop pretending these "student-athletes" are actually students. Another discussion for another thread.

Well I actually understand that point and agree

Only problem is those guys with the talent are in prison or on the streets and definitely not enrolling in college.

If you didn't need college and there was a developmental league I 100% agree there could be talent found all over the country. Lots of high end talent has slipped through the cracks due to academics

But the NFL is a privilege and not a right. And they gain the privilege unfortunately through enrolling in a college and playing ball

I'll say. Very disappointing to say the least. Here's to the kid snapping out of it.

I always get a kick out of the wording of stat tweets. WORST IN NFL HISTORY!!!! since 1992. Kinda like Hauschka's record being the best in NFL history since last year.

I always get a kick out of the wording of stat tweets. WORST IN NFL HISTORY!!!! since 1992. Kinda like Hauschka's record being the best in NFL history since last year.

Yeah, weird wording. But it's because they didn't track targets until 1992. So essentially he's the worst since they started paying attention.

(9:44) 5-T.Taylor pass incomplete short left to 11-Z.Jones (36-R.McClain). Receiver and coverage along sideline at BUF 32.

(7:55) (Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor pass incomplete short right to 11-Z.Jones. Thrown wide of receiver, along sideline at TB 25. Pressure on QB: K.Alexander.

(4:25) 5-T.Taylor pass incomplete deep right to 11-Z.Jones. Thrown wide, receiver along sideline at TB 2.

(1:14) (Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor pass incomplete short right to 11-Z.Jones (28-V.Hargreaves III). Bobbled along sideline at BUF 40.

(13:21) 5-T.Taylor pass incomplete short left to 11-Z.Jones. Overthrown, receiver along sideline at TB 35. Pressure on QB: L.David.

(11:50) 5-T.Taylor pass incomplete deep left to 11-Z.Jones [93-G.McCoy]. Overthrown, receiver along sideline, 2 yds. into end zone.

(14:22) (Shotgun) 5-T.Taylor pass incomplete deep right to 11-Z.Jones. Overthrown, receiver along sideline at goal line.

The targets to catch stat isn't helpful. What's he supposed to do when five of his targets aren't catchable?

The first pass of the game would have been a tough catch, the defender was right on him. If your going to criticize him on that play, criticize the route.

The one he bobbled was a clear drop.

The deep throw into the end zone, he needs to do better at selling the out route, the LB never fell for that. He still might have had it had he not been tripped up.

Obviously he needs to do better, but you can't just look at 2 catches on 9 targets and make a conclusion about his performance.

Taylor is completing 62.1% of his pass attempts. He is completing 22% when targeting Zay. If you removed every pass thrown to Zay Tyrod would have the 2nd highest completion percentage in the league at 71.5%.

I know that. Zay has not been "good"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/10/18/bills-starter-tyrod-taylor-acknowledges-he-can-play-better/106779012/

The third-year starter did the math Wednesday, when asked to evaluate his performance through five games.

"Right now as a team we sit 3-2," Taylor said. "It's time for us as a team, and time for me as a quarterback to separate from the pack and do whatever it takes to win."

So either he's telling the truth or he's falling on his sword

Edited by ShadyBillsFan