Denver Run Stop Strategy/ setting edge not important to them

Bocephuz

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-week-2-surprise-takeaway-the-broncos-run-defense

This was a great article from Pro Football Focus breaking down the unconventional way Denver attacked the Dallas run game.

Convention tells you that the defensive guys on the outside need to "set the edge" and funnel everything inside.

• This writeup shows that the Broncos pretty much abandoned setting the edge and rather had their outside guys immediately shoot the gap to disrupt the RB in the backfield.
  • They also stacked the box a lot as they felt their corners could handled Dallas' deep game.

I would expect much of the same against the Bills this Sunday.

The question is .. How do we counter this?

I have some ideas.. but I'd like to hear other's first. What do you all think.. how do we counter this kind of Run D strategy?

Edited by Bocephuz

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Zone Read seems pretty obvious to me

• we already Zone Block
  • we have arguably the fastest QB in the league .. who has experience running these plays
  • If the end crashes down inside, then you pull it and pick up what you can out in the wide open space between where the end used to be, and the corner or safety. If you're an athletic quarterback, that's a lot of green to swim in and make people miss.
  • if the end doesn't crash inside then hand of to Shady or Tolbert up the gut

All it will take is for Taylor to make the right read and burn them once and I'll bet they'd move to a more conventional scheme.

One way to counter Edge crashing

Have two legit RBs on the field. And run both inside and outside runs.

Another is the Zone Read

Another is swing and screens

good call on all fronts

Have two legit RBs on the field. And run both inside and outside runs.

• line up under center.. fake to Tolbert and pitch outside to Shady or vice versa

Another is the Zone Read

• TT is built for this. Why put a round peg in a square hole. Not saying they need to go zone read all the time but Dennison needs to strategically use it early and often.

Another is swing and screens

• yep

On a serious note ... why not?

I keep hearing this: we don't have receivers who can stretch the field.

I call BS.

It's not like they're slow.

No reason to think Matthews, Jones, and Holmes are unable to run down field. Are they Tyreek Hill, Marquise Goodwin, and JJ Nelson? No, but they still have enough giddy-up.

Misdirection. Play action bootlegs, draws, cutbacks (shady's specialty), screens.

Still, I am worried about this one. We don't seem to have the "edge" anywhere. And the 3 point line, well, I don't know what to make of it. Seems like an odd line but apparently vegas has faith in our defense.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-week-2-surprise-takeaway-the-broncos-run-defense

This was a great article from Pro Football Focus breaking down the unconventional way Denver attacked the Dallas run game.

Convention tells you that the defensive guys on the outside need to "set the edge" and funnel everything inside.

• This writeup shows that the Broncos pretty much abandoned setting the edge and rather had their outside guys immediately shoot the gap to disrupt the RB in the backfield.
  • They also stacked the box a lot as they felt their corners could handled Dallas' deep game.

I would expect much of the same against the Bills this Sunday.

The question is .. How do we counter this?

I have some ideas.. but I'd like to hear other's first. What do you all think.. how do we counter this kind of Run D strategy?

screens and misdirections

Misdirection. Play action bootlegs, draws, cutbacks (shady's specialty), screens.

Still, I am worried about this one. We don't seem to have the "edge" anywhere. And the 3 point line, well, I don't know what to make of it. Seems like an odd line but apparently vegas has faith in our defense.

I'm worried too.. I doubt we can win this one.

That being said.. I would like to see

• the offense at least have a decent showing .. something they can build on to get some momentum for the rest of the season
  • Dennison showing that he's flexible and that he is willing to adjust on the fly.

Play action will not work. Nor will shotgun formations work as well as under the center.

I would like to think screens are the easy route and want Clay involved. Let them key on McCoy running decoy on the opposite side and dump to Clay on the opposite side.

I'm worried too.. I doubt we can win this one.

That being said.. I would like to see

• the offense at least have a decent showing .. something they can build on to get some momentum for the rest of the season
  • Dennison showing that he's flexible and that he is willing to adjust on the fly.

Yeah, decent offense would be nice. If Shady is able to rip off a couple decent runs, it could change the complexion of the game, and he is probably our only chance. Taylor's arm isn't going to do it, but his legs might help.

I have serious questions about dennison now, after seeing some of the same head scratching bs we have seen for years. Like stretch plays with an 85 year old, 350 pound rb...

Zone Read seems pretty obvious to me

• we already Zone Block
  • we have arguably the fastest QB in the league .. who has experience running these plays
  • If the end crashes down inside, then you pull it and pick up what you can out in the wide open space between where the end used to be, and the corner or safety. If you're an athletic quarterback, that's a lot of green to swim in and make people miss.
  • if the end doesn't crash inside then hand of to Shady or Tolbert up the gut

All it will take is for Taylor to make the right read and burn them once and I'll bet they'd move to a more conventional scheme.

I don't think Denver's linebackers are as fast as Carolina's so this plan does sound solid.

Plenty of good ways to attack this:

Zone read and spread formation have been mentioned, but '12' personnel sets are key as well--adding a TE to each end of the line keeps the EDGE defenders from being able to crash down along the line. Spacing in the blocking game is going to be key--need to make sure there are multiple gaps for Shady to pick on the stretch plays.

I would also be looking to trap the living heck out of their 5-tech ends. Call a Power-G trap play or two early on and make Wolff/Gotsis think twice about knifing the B-gap.

Plenty of good ways to attack this:

Zone read and spread formation have been mentioned, but '12' personnel sets are key as well--adding a TE to each end of the line keeps the EDGE defenders from being able to crash down along the line. Spacing in the blocking game is going to be key--need to make sure there are multiple gaps for Shady to pick on the stretch plays.

I would also be looking to trap the living heck out of their 5-tech ends. Call a Power-G trap play or two early on and make Wolff/Gotsis think twice about knifing the B-gap.

good idea on the trap.. punch em in the mouth with an o lineman when they stick that head in the gap