Thoughts through 2 weeks

Kirby Jackson

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cam didn't look good last year either before the injury. I think it was in this post but he has played at almost an identical level as Tyrod. He is way more talented and accomplished way more in this league that Tyrod but since the start of last season they have played at about the same level.

I'd put some money on Cam playing at pro bowl level by the end of the year. DM if you're interested and we could figure something out.

I don't understand your logic here. So with great coaching Dalton has done well and struggled without it?

Or Dalton played at such a high level that he helped get 2 guys job promotions.

Also, Lynn was just using Roman's system. It wasn't an entirely new offense.

2 of the Bengals OCs became head coaches. Tyrod has had a top 5 oline and running attack for 2 years.

But sure if you want to pretend Tyrod is on the same level as a guy who passes for 4,000 yards and 30 tds multiple times while going to the playoffs 5 times in 7 years, go head and pretend.

So... Andy Dalton has been in a better situation? Your original point made it sound like you were trying to say Dalton has overcome more than Tyrod... I'm not sure what you're trying to say to be honest.

Edited by HappyDays

So... Andy Dalton has been in a better situation? Your original point made it sound like you were trying to say Dalton has overcome more than Tyrod... I'm not sure what you're trying to say to be honest.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. You're arguing that a guy who is at best a .500 qb who's team limits the amount of times he passes is better than a guy who made the playoffs the first 5 years of his career.

There are games like this all over the NFL every Sunday. The traditional "Good Teams" win these poor games. At the end of the year we only remember Seattle and Greenbay's win lose record not their ugly games they squeak out. At the end of the day if Jones and Taylor connect on that TD the narrative and analysis of this team is completely different. They lost a tough fought game to good football team in their home opener. Couple of positives, they are still relatively healthy and the loss was to an out of conference opponent. This week Buffalo will face a similar style game. I think Buffalo handles business on defense and I am curious to see if they have come up with some wrinkles on offense. I don't think this will be an exciting game in the high scoring sense but will be a defensive struggle and 1 or 2 plays decides the outcome.

I think the juice has finally run out on this franchise.

We're sitting here debating about Tyrod or Nate Peterman, and trying to get excited about a run first, conservative offense and a Coach who is obsessed with Special Teams and Field Position.

It's deflating because we had another fresh start with a new Coach and GM, but they have sucked all the life out of this team with the roster moves and coaching style.

We're all just waiting on a Franchise QB to breathe life into this corpse of a franchise.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

I have no idea what you're trying to say. You're arguing that a guy who is at best a .500 qb who's team limits the amount of times he passes is better than a guy who made the playoffs the first 5 years of his career.

Not trying to say that Tyrod has been as good as Dalton but... Dalton has had a pretty stout defense behind him. Had he had Rex's defense like Taylor had then Dalton may at best be a .500 qb too.

I think the juice has finally run out on this franchise.

We're sitting here debating about Tyrod or Nate Peterman, and trying to get excited about a run first, conservative offense and a Coach who is obsessed with Special Teams and Field Position.

It's deflating because we had another fresh start with a new Coach and GM, but they have sucked all the life out of this team with the roster moves and coaching style.

We're all just waiting on a Franchise QB to breathe life into this corpse of a franchise.

Sad and true.

we are a 6-10 7-9 team most likely ..

that's the way I feel after 2 weeks.. But I'll still wait to see how they bounce back at home and how they do on the road some.... then I'll make my final assesment

Cam's not healthy. If he was, that game looks a lot different. Defense still played well though.

Was he on the injury report? If so, I missed it, or do you have inside information?

Cam played the way he's played most of his career--not very good. He did not look the least bit injured. It's amazing the excuses people will make for you if you were the 1 pick.

Was he on the injury report? If so, I missed it, or do you have inside information?

Cam played the way he's played most of his career--not very good. He did not look the least bit injured. It's amazing the excuses people will make for you if you were the 1 pick don't play for the Bills.

fix'd

Cam played the way he's played most of his career--not very good. He did not look the least bit injured. It's amazing the excuses people will make for you if you were the 1 pick.

He had rotator cuff surgery and threw 2 passes all preseason.

And yup, a number 1 pick and former MVP will have more room for error than a guy like TJ Yates.

fix'd

If Tyrod had the same surgery as Cam, I would understand if he struggled early on.

He had rotator cuff surgery and threw 2 passes all preseason.

And yup, a number 1 pick and former MVP will have more room for error than a guy like TJ Yates.

If Tyrod had the same surgery as Cam, I would understand if he struggled early on.

My fix wasn't for you specifically, though I understand it was a response to your post. I don't know if you've gone through the Cam thread, but I found several of the excuses in there to be pretty funny and ironic.

Tyrod account for 80% of the rushing yards and 93% of the offense. When things get tough he has to make plays (and did). McCoy being the other playmaker that he looks to in the passing game. The receivers stink. You watched a different game than the one I was at. With the game on the line he did everything!! TT led them down the field and threw a game winning TD that was dropped. He did pretty much the exact opposite of what you are saying!! In fact in 2 of his last 3 starts he led drives that should have won the game. The defense/Carpenter/Rex blew one and Zay the other. He isn't the perfect QB but he is absolutely, undeniably a playmaker (and always has been. The question has been consistency not playmaking ability.

Alas, if you want to continue to complain about the QB there are 1,000 other threads to do that.

I agree and disagree depending on the part. McDermott looks like he can manange games and coach. He looks to me to be a good find but did a bad job assembling the offensive staff. Beane on the flip side hasn't impressed me at all. This roster is less talented than previous rosters (by a lot). They are more disciplined and better coached. I loved the trades for Tre and Zay and hated the Sammy trade. Dumping guys like Gillislee and Williams to give carries to Tolbert is beyond stupid. They tried to build a roster that needs 13-15 play drives to score. It's like competing with Indians by trying to hit singles or the Warriors but dumping it in the post. Teams score fast and in bunches in sports now and we adopted Jauron's offense. I'm not sure how anyone can like the look of it? At its core its flawed.

The defense looks fixed to me. I always thought the problem was Rex. I'm not sure anyone would disagree. They have the same guys in the front 7 and look like a totally different group. It's a great start for them.

Great takes. Well thought out and reasonable.

My fix wasn't for you specifically, though I understand it was a response to your post. I don't know if you've gone through the Cam thread, but I found several of the excuses in there to be pretty funny and ironic.

Which ones specifically? He lost his best receiver, had 2 o linemen missing, and had a very serious surgery for a qb.

If Tyrod was a former MVP and had similar issues, I would be defending him too.

Which ones specifically? He lost his best receiver, had 2 o linemen missing, and had a very serious surgery for a qb.

If Tyrod was a former MVP and had similar issues, I would be defending him too.

So those are acceptable reasons for Cam to go from an MVP level to Tyrod's level, but the fact that Tyrod's performance has dipped less than that under similar circumstances is making excuses?

So those are acceptable reasons for Cam to go from an MVP level to Tyrod's level, but the fact that Tyrod's performance has dipped less than that under similar circumstances is making excuses?

This is what happens when people watch the Bills too closely and don't pay attention to the rest of the league. There are a ton of QBs who are as wildly inconsistent as Tyrod has been and a lot of it depends on the players around them. Andy Dalton looked great 2 seasons ago, now he looks like one of the worst QBs in the league. It's how it goes for most of these guys.

Defense has exceeded expectations. Offense has shown several weaknesses. We only have two weeks to evaluate. The Jets (which you could argue good isn't a sign of encouragement) and Carolina (who may or may not have a top defense). It is way too early IMO.

My biggest takeaway is that I do believe the players have bought in to McDermott's approach. Teams of the past would have quit in the Carolina game with that offensive performance. McD is not afraid to bench a guy who "quits". Again two games, but I have been impressed with the attitude and effort. 1-1.