Big takeaway from our opponent today: Newton way overrated

If anyone is curious what Carolina fans think about yesterday's game. Here's a thread with people saying Cam has looked like crap, and debating whether he or the OC are more to blame:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/141417-todays-offensive-performance-is-on-cam/

Here they are giving McDermott credit for keeping the game close even though we have less talent:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/141412-hats-off-to-sean-mcdermott/

Feeling down about the Bills? Here's what one Panthers fan thinks:

Sean has the energy where he doesn't look like he's at his first head coaching job. He seems to have his players under him.. and I admit toward the end I know Sean was thinking "Ron.. let me show you how to work clock management" but ended up wasting a good bit of time.

People and their own fans have given them hell over the roster moves but I think they did great with the little time he's been there. Jordan Matthews and Zay Jones will be hell on other teams.

They are balanced and talented enough WRs where they can run just 2 wideouts and have extra blockers in. Tyrod is underrated and one play where he scrambled away from every. single. defensive linemen was impressive.

Oh and they are aware of this thread! And have their own thread about it:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/141505-i-dont-think-their-d-is-that-good-and-certainly-not-elite/

Hello Panthers fans!

Posts from that thread I liked:

This is just another way for bills fans to poo on tyrod taylor, whom they really hate for some reason

side note, I thought Tayler played a hell of a game.

I always find other fans' comments interesting. Sometimes I think they have a better perspective on the Bills than we do.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define "overrated" and then provide citations and examples of that overhype, like rankings from prominent evaluators of talent and respected journalists (oxymoron, my bad). What is he rated and in your expert opinion, where should be be rated/ranked. This is the classic post where someone doesn't like a guy because he's obnoxious (dabbing) and is roundly celebrated and just beat your team. That doesn't make him overrated, neither do any of the flimsy arguments you made, especially absent a quantification of his current status and a well-developed rebuke citing your own quantitative scale.

If that career with a winning record, MVP, and Super Bowl trip makes him overrated, no QB this team ever drafts will make you happy. Is he super accurate a la Drew Brees, nope. Has he won a ton of games, plays well in crunch time (unlike TT who couldn't come back against UB down 3 if he started at the 50), has a decent TD to INT ratio and Y/A. Maybe, just maybe you don't know feces about QB evaluation.

Well that's not remotely the reason for this post, but at least you make it very clear you don't like people who criticize him for these things :thumbsup:

And you're missing the mark with your weirdly scientific approach to a word that has widespread connotations.

I did enjoy reading it, though 0:)

Hmmm... fascinating... other than replacing the words "shrugs off" with the word "eludes" this sounds very much like a QB you hate.

Again, so interesting that people throw out this losing Olsen excuse despite the fact that he was targeted twice in all his time on the field for 1 reception for 10 yards. And yeah, you can say he missed most of the game all you want, except he was there for the entire first quarter and the Panthers ran 22 offensive plays in that quarter alone.

Newton still had Benjamin and Funchess who he's built chemistry with over years and throw in an "Elite" rookie hybrid and this hypocritical excuse is pretty comical.

Newton was fortunate enough often late to find WRs wide friggin open in the middle of the field while wildly missing guys on more than one occasion and that's something he's done over the course of his entire career. It's not just yesterday.

Cam is a far better athlete and physical specimen than Tyrod. 1st overall pick vs whenever he got drafted?

Just because Olsen was targeted twice in the first half doesn't mean he wouldn't have had a large impact in the second. Adjustments and all that.

Seeing as he's been the best TE in football over the last 3 years, and had 3 straight 77+ catches 1000+ yard seasons, pretending like his loss wasn't a big deal, is, well, stupid.

You know this, how?

DId you hear how downtrodden and critical Cam was about his own inaccuracy after the game?

Are we even talking about the same play? I'm talking about the one where the Panthers were inside the 10 and Newton rolled to his right a little and threw the ball very high to a WIDE OPEN Christian McCaffery.

Is that the play you're talking about? That was the one I was referring to.

Wait, which one are you talking about?

But yea, id trade just about anything for cam. He can do things both running and passing that nearly no one else can. You just have to keep him focused.

If anyone is curious what Carolina fans think about yesterday's game. Here's a thread with people saying Cam has looked like crap, and debating whether he or the OC are more to blame:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/141417-todays-offensive-performance-is-on-cam/

Here they are giving McDermott credit for keeping the game close even though we have less talent:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/141412-hats-off-to-sean-mcdermott/

Feeling down about the Bills? Here's what one Panthers fan thinks:

Oh and they are aware of this thread! And have their own thread about it:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/141505-i-dont-think-their-d-is-that-good-and-certainly-not-elite/

Hello Panthers fans!

Posts from that thread I liked:

I always find other fans' comments interesting. Sometimes I think they have a better perspective on the Bills than we do.

Nice find!

Wait, which one are you talking about?

But yea, id trade just about anything for cam. He can do things both running and passing that nearly no one else can. You just have to keep him focused.

Trade anything for Cam?

Nope. Definitely nope. This is exactly what I'm talking about with my overrated statement. Cam Newton's not the type of QB you "trade anything for," especially at this point in his career. He's taken such a beating already he might already be on the back 9.

Nice find!

Couldn't help myself, I had to make a post in that last thread. Here's the response I got:

Bills will have a really good team in about 2-3 years (maybe even next year depending on your upcoming draft) and luckily for you, Tom Brady is finally on his way out (he can't keep playing till he's 43 can he?!). I like what Sean is doing over there. Kind of rebuilding while also trying to say competitive. He has the same energy as Dan Quinn in ATL.

I like TT. I think he is an above average QB that can also beat you with his legs if you give him any kind of room. Unless you draft a good prospect, you're not going to find anybody better in FA. As for the game, I loved that defensive battle. You guys have a really underrated front 7. Oh and one more thing, thank you Zay Jones for dropping that last ball lol

Couldn't help myself, I had to make a post in that last thread. Here's the response I got:

that was good stuff and agree with what he said with the exception of calling taylor, above avg? above avg runner? certainly not above avg passer. avg at best.

I wish I could say I'm surprised to find people digging through another team's message board to justify their position, but sadly...

I don't see it that way. nothing wrong with looking for an outside perspective.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Trade anything for Cam?

Nope. Definitely nope. This is exactly what I'm talking about with my overrated statement. Cam Newton's not the type of QB you "trade anything for," especially at this point in his career. He's taken such a beating already he might already be on the back 9.

The dude is 28.

He's HUGE, can move, has a rocket arm...you just have to keep him fully engaged. He's never going to be a 70% passer but will consistently be over 7ypa/around 13ypc still because he's making big plays.

I know you called kelvin benjamin elite... but not in my book. Olsens good. Mccaffery still a question mark.

You give this guy real weapons and a quality OC and watch what you see happen. He can and has done things few if any can do. Yesterday was a ho hum day for him. The guy is a special talent though. And yea, I'd trade pretty substantial amounts for anyone solidly in the top 5-7ish qbs under 30. We are about to give up the same for the second or third best prospect coming out potentially.

Edited by NoSaint

The dude is 28.

He's HUGE, can move, has a rocket arm...you just have to keep him fully engaged. He's never going to be a 70% passer but will consistently be over 7ypa/around 13ypc still because he's making big plays.

I know you called kelvin benjamin elite... but not in my book. Olsens good. Mccaffery still a question mark.

You give this guy real weapons and a quality OC and watch what you see happen. He can and has done things few if any can do. Yesterday was a ho hum day for him. The guy is a special talent though. And yea, I'd trade pretty substantial amounts for anyone solidly in the top 5-7ish qbs under 30. We are about to give up the same for the second or third best prospect coming out potentially.

Cam Newton will never be a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning but he is a star QB in the NFL, and they are virtually priceless.

Cam is a quality starting QB, he can be inconsistent at times and he did miss a couple key throws this past game. But even so, he rifled in a number of 15-20 yard passes, throws that other QB's are hesitant of doing. He made some plays for them and he definitely wasn't the reason why they were held in check. Our defense deserves much credit for their lack of offense.

Cam is a quality starting QB, he can be inconsistent at times and he did miss a couple key throws this past game. But even so, he rifled in a number of 15-20 yard passes, throws that other QB's are hesitant of doing. He made some plays for them and he definitely wasn't the reason why they were held in check. Our defense deserves much credit for their lack of offense.

Yup- have him connect on the 1 TD throw and it's a slightly below average game for him but an alright day still against what many here are calling a great defense while missing his best target, and not totally healthy.

He's coming off a bad year, but having followed his body of work closely back to college- he's an excellent ball player, despite some of his personal shortcomings. I don't particularly like the guy as a person but seeing him play in person frequently has been a treat as a game of the game.

Cam is a far better athlete and physical specimen than Tyrod. 1st overall pick vs whenever he got drafted?

Just because Olsen was targeted twice in the first half doesn't mean he wouldn't have had a large impact in the second. Adjustments and all that.

Seeing as he's been the best TE in football over the last 3 years, and had 3 straight 77+ catches 1000+ yard seasons, pretending like his loss wasn't a big deal, is, well, stupid.

What happened to our Olsen and where is our Benjamin to replace him. Oh yeah, I forgot we have Andre Holmes.