Why did the bills draft Peterman?

Steptide

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People love Peterman simply because he isn't Tyrod Taylor.

This has been going on for years.

When we had Bledsoe, everyone wanted JP.

When we had JP, everyone wanted Trent.

When we had Trent, everyone wanted Fitz.

When we had seen Trent AND Fitz, everyone wanted Brian Freaking Brohm.

When we had EJ, some people legitimately wanted Tuel.

Now we have Taylor, and some people are driven to thinking Nate Peterman is an upgrade.

This season does not matter. All that matters is which QB the Bills draft next year in the 1st round and whether or not they're good enough to turn this franchise around.

I get your point, but every time we wanted to see the backup, we were correct. All of those starters were busts. They were not the future. There was always the possibility that one of those backups could have been the future. They all happened to be just as bad as the guy they replaced.

Of course the odds of the backup being a franchise QB are higher if he's a high draft choice, but no sense in sticking with someone who isn't the future. These facts don't mean that trying something new is a bad idea. I don't understand what people are saying when they make your point. Are you saying if we stuck with one of those starters that we'd have a franchise QB now? I think not, and TT isn't a franchise QB either. We might as well see what we have. If it's a complete failure, great, we'll get a better draft pick.

I get your point, but every time we wanted to see the backup, we were correct. All of those starters were busts. They were not the future. There was always the possibility that one of those backups could have been the future. They all happened to be just as bad as the guy they replaced.

Of course the odds of the backup being a franchise QB are higher if he's a high draft choice, but no sense in sticking with someone who isn't the future. These facts don't mean that trying something new is a bad idea. I don't understand what people are saying when they make your point. Are you saying if we stuck with one of those starters that we'd have a franchise QB now? I think not, and TT isn't a franchise QB either. We might as well see what we have. If it's a complete failure, great, we'll get a better draft pick.

Like I said, see what you have the final 4-5 weeks of the season.

Thinking Peterman will be anything other than a complete train wreck over a 14 game stretch is ridiculous. You'll be starting Taylor again by the end of October....

Mark it down: @ Jets, Thursday night, 11/2. Bills will be 1-6 or 2-5. Young Nathan will be handed the keys. Soft part of the schedule: @ Jets, home vs. Saints pathetic D, @ Chargers. He'll be given every chance to succeed.

hope so - I got great seats to the Saints game with it being so close to my birthday. Maybe I'll get to watch the dawn of the Peterman Era in the NFL.

Thinking Peterman will be anything other than a complete train wreck over a 14 game stretch is ridiculous. You'll be starting Taylor again by the end of October....

face it bro, what we got now doesn't seem to be working. Lets see what Taylor can do at home, but be on notice...

I agree with the first part but disagree with the second portion.

You're absolutely right in saying this season is meaningless. Aside from figuring out a little bit about our coach and if their tendencies and personality make him look like a potential winner with a better roster, this season is a meaningless one.

As for the second part, I don't think the rebuild has to be a long one. The Bills have an elite defense with most of the key pieces locked up long term. If they can find a half decent QB and rebuild at the WR position by adding a legit #1 who can actually stretch the defense, we could wind up being better sooner than people think.

Who knows if we'll draft the right QB, but if we do I think the quality of this defense could allow for a quick turn around.

I respectfully disagree with your view of a more abbreviated time frame for being a contending team. Assuming this team uses a high pick/s to draft a high end qb prospect it is rare that the rookie qb is going to have immediate success. It is standard that there isn't a quick turnaround with a rookie qb who will be going through the usual struggles of an inexperienced qb. I'll even go so far as saying that even in the second year of playing the qb will still be going through a learning process for the most challenging position in the game. That right there is three years. Let's also be real in acknowledging that this roster is going to take at least a few more years to go through a substantial overhaul to make this roster more robust.

Peterman has already had a successful rookie season. He made the team and outplayed Yates. You shouldn't expect any more than that from him. Next preseason is when you would want him to push the starter for playing time. I think we are going to see him this year though and he might not be ready. In the meantime hopefully he's learning and preparing like he's the starter because sooner or later he probably will be

I respectfully disagree with your view of a more abbreviated time frame for being a contending team. Assuming this team uses a high pick/s to draft a high end qb prospect it is rare that the rookie qb is going to have immediate success. It is standard that there isn't a quick turnaround with a rookie qb who will be going through the usual struggles of an inexperienced qb. I'll even go so far as saying that even in the second year of playing the qb will still be going through a learning process for the most challenging position in the game. That right there is three years. Let's also be real in acknowledging that this roster is going to take at least a few more years to go through a substantial overhaul to make this roster more robust.

The defense is fine.

The offense is clearly a work in progress. We need a QB and we need to rebuild the WR corps.

I agree that 2019 is the earliest we'll be good, but I guess I don't consider that too far away when we've been rebuilding for the past 20 years.

If we find the right QB this team will get a whole lot better in a hurry.

But..... why does it matter if it's a "train wreck"? We are in a half a***ed tank mode already. Btw TT was a train wreck today.

But..... why does it matter if it's a "train wreck"? We are in a half a***ed tank mode already. Btw TT was a train wreck today.

Peterman could develop into a quality QB if brought along the right way. Believe it or not, he actually has value to this team beyond just this season.

Throwing him to the wolves so you can see what he has does nothing to help him become a successful NFL player.

Edited by jrober38

Everyone drafts a QB in the 5th round to play themweek 2 of their rookie season. I just don't get why you fools don't understand that! Nothing screams future success than 5th round QB's!

Most people don't know this, and I really don't know why, but did you know that Tom Brady was a sixth round pick? Why don't we pick more quarterbacks in the sixth round like the good teams?

Peterman could develop into a quality QB if brought along the right way. Believe it or not, he actually has value to this team beyond just this season.

Throwing him to the wolves so you can see what he has does nothing to help him become a successful NFL player.

I fully agree with this. That would solve nothing and could ruin him mentally.

To be the QB for 2018:

I didn't think it possible, but the number of teams looking for a QB in the First Round is now nearly 1/3 of the league.

Buffalo isn't drafting a QB in Round 1.

Buffalo's defense is good enough to keep this team in the 7-9 / 8-8 range.

Only the Bills and Browns would be dumb enough to pass on a QB next draft if given the opportunity to draft a good one in the first. And it is way too soon to assume the defense will play at a high level all season.

Tell me what plays he made downfield. Show me what plays he made that showed real arm strength. Show me what plays he made when he was under fire on a rush outside of once or twice when he immediately ran up the middle when the rush came. Show me his touchdown passes. Show me more than one completion over 20 yards in the air. Show me one play where he went to his third progresssion. Show one game he put up points. He had like 70 rating. Crappy completion percentage. Literally one touchdown (on a fabulous pass I will admit). People here give him credit for things he never did. What he did was one thing great. Make a quick decision and get a quick pass off accurately short. That is what he did and he did it great and it is an important element. He did little else.

I didn't see many plays downfield. Whether that was by design, happenstance or them feeling he couldn't do it is anyone's guess. I did see many good decisions, accurate throws, 2nd and 3rd reads, and calm under pressure. Was he perfect? No, he's a rookie who was 3rd on the depth chart for almost all of training camp. What I did see was enough to tell me he can make throws TT can't/won't.

Will/canhe be the QB of the future? No one knows. But I think everyone and their mother knows that TT isn't a franchise QB but is being paid close to one, and he's not in their future plans. But he's the incumbent and gets to start, until the Bills are eliminated, or close to it, from playoff contention. By that time Peterman will have had enough time to digest the playbook and get more comfortable with the offense and the receivers.