Grading the Pegulas

Pegula grades  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How do you grade the Pegulas as owners of the Buffalo Bills?

2. 2. How do you grade the Pegulas as owners of the Buffalo Sabres?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted A for the Bills because they are still in Buffalo!! Many have short memories. The Toronto, or San Diego, or Los Angeles Bills Don't forget!!!!!!!!!

That's why I used the qualifier " Aside from saving the team." I thonk we'd all rather an 0-16 team in Buffalo, than a 16-0 team in Toronto. So the poll is more about how they have been running the operations.

They've been the arguably the worst owners in both leagues since they joined.

F.

Show your work.

I voted B on both. They made some mistakes but have done a lot of positive stuff too.

I'm a big hockey fan and I am very excited about the Sabres future. They have some elite young talent and if that team is developed properly, they can be a competitor IMO. I really think Pegula got it right with Botterill. He's really impressed me with the moves he's made so far, and initial feedback IMO is that Botterill may have got it right with Housley. I love what I've seen from him so far and think his system is going to fit this team very well. It should be exciting to watch. We will hopefully know for sure in a couple years whether they got it right or not.

As for the Bills, hiring Rex was a mistake. But it came after their coach surprised them and quit, and they kind of scrambled to do a coaching search they hadn't planned on having to do. I don't know that they were all that prepared for it. Plus, Rex is quite the personality. A lot of people love that guy and buy his act. Maybe the Pegula's fell for it, but they also quickly realized their mistake.

Its also worth mentioning that the Bills had ran a version of Rex's D with Pettine just a season prior. Most didn't expect it to go so badly on defense.

I am cautiously optimistic that the Pegula's got it right with McDermott as well. I've been a fan of his since the 2012+2013 panthers defense. 2015 was really an amazing run on both sides of the ball. That defense was just as much a part of that almost undefeated Super Bowl season as the offense was.

And Beane has been regarded as a well respected up and comer for a while now. I remember hearing good things about him going all the way back to when he was named interim GM at a very young age (I think he was 34?). Him and McDermott seem to be in lock step and ot looks like Beane did a great job putting together his front office and scouting staff. The guy seems like a good team builder type and I'm exca ted to see what he can do.

Plus, you have to look at how much money they've spent on both teams and the city of Buffalo, and they continue to invest money. They just recently bought AdPro sports and plan to create Moreno jobs in Buffalo. These owners are truly committed to making Buffalo a better place and it's very impressive.

I feel very lucky to have them as owners!

That's why I used the qualifier " Aside from saving the team." I thonk we'd all rather an 0-16 team in Buffalo, than a 16-0 team in Toronto. So the poll is more about how they have been running the operations.

Show your work.

Less wins. Wasted years with incompetent FO's and HC's at the helm. Bad hires made from marketing standpoints rather than things that actually matter on the field. Optics, they truly appear like they don't have a single clue on how to run a franchise, which is probably the worse they could look.

We basically have Dan Snyder with his wife, Dan Snyder, as owners. Bad bad bad.

No vote on the Sabres.

A+ on the Bills so far.

They were willing to spend big money on Rex and then willing to cut their losses when it was an obvious mistake.

As fas as I can tell they are not meddling on personnel issues.

Not sure what's not to like a few years in.

Theres clearly a learning curve when owning a pro sports franchise let alone owning two. Its not just about spending gobs of money. After a few misteps I think both franchises may finally have the right GM and coach in place. The Sabres are a little ahead of the Bills imo because of Eichel. Gotta get a quarterback if you want to win a Superbowl or have a ridiculously dominant defense but both teams are on the right track.

Edited by Billsmovinup

Theres clearly a learning curve when owning a pro sports franchise let alone owning two. Its not just about spending gobs of money. After a few misteps I think both franchises may finally have the right GM and coach in place. The Sabres are a little ahead of the Bills imo because of Eichel. Gotta get a quarterback if you want to win a Superbowl or have a ridiculously dominant defense but both teams are on the right track.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said.

But do you put it on (or credit) the ownership to find Eichel or the QB? I don't.

The Pegulas could hire people and sit back and do nothing but they are working their butts off to put their own spin on both teams and that is admirable. Its the family business and you can tell it's important to them. Having said that, they don't really know what they are doing so we are certainly not among the elite organizations. I think it would have been wise to hire an advisor to help oversee what they are doing so they aren't just spinning their wheels. They are learning as they go I'm sure. I appreciate their efforts and thank them for giving us teams to talk about.

I don't care what anyone says, this team (Bills) was 90% likely to end up in another city until Pegs showed up. I'm currently in a marina in Block Island, RI. A guy noticed the name of my boat and asked if I'm from Buffalo. I said yes and he turns his cap around and it's a friggin Bills cap. We proceed to have a great convo for 30 minutes about Buffalo and the Bills and introduce our families. This happen all the time and it's more than just a team, it's a connection and a way of life. This doesn't happen if it's the Toronto or LA Bills because I wouldn't care or follow them if they were someplace else. For that reason, Pegs gets an A+ in my book. I think they are on the right track with both franchises but my Bills are still in Buffalo for the long term and that means more to me then wins and losses.