Tyrod Taylor Game One Breakdown

cover1

I know that this forum loves discussing Tyrod Taylor so I thought that you would enjoy this breakdown. Personally, I thought Tyrod had an solid day. He showed us a few things that we really haven't seen consistently, but he also had a couple throws that were inaccurate. All in all I thought he was alright. You?

http://www.cover1.net/film-room-breakdown-tyrod-taylor-week-1/

If you're looking for game reviews from me here they are:

Defense: http://www.cover1.net/bills-defense-tampa-2-defense-wins/

Offense: http://www.cover1.net/turner-scheme-on-offense-key-to-the-win/

Edited by cover1

Good stuff. Watched that first clay play a few times. I think Taylor slid left too many times. If he stays put after the first slide, then he most likely has a better view and unloads it quicker.

No doubt, that definitely contributed to holding Adams in place. Initially TT a good job using his eyes against Adams, bc Adams had bracket coverage on Zay. But sliding keyed Adams to come off his assignment.

I thought Tyrod had a pretty good game Sunday.

Like you said, he showed us some stuff we haven't seen consistently, and I also thought he showed that he can run this offense.

I know his detractors like to say "it was only the Jets, they're trying to lose"... and while I do agree that their goal doesn't seem to include winning this season, they still have a pretty decent defense. They have talent in that side of the ball. It's their offense that looks to be void of much talent.

But it was only 1 game ans there's still plenty of room for improvement from him. It was a good first game though, especially considering that he didn't get much of any time with the 1's during preseason.

Carolina should be a good test. They have the potential and talent to be a top 10 defense IMO.

Thank you cover1! Man, your breakdowns are thorough, informative, and as BringBackFergy said, you explain things in layman's terms so everyone can comprehend.

I appreciate your hard work, and please keep the good stuff coming!

Edited by smuvtalker

Good stuff. Watched that first clay play a few times. I think Taylor slid left too many times. If he stays put after the first slide, then he most likely has a better view and unloads it quicker.

Overall I agree with the conclusion that TT did a lot of good things last Sunday.

That being said..I don't think he was looking for Clay first read on that INT. I think he was genuinely looking for Zay Jones on the Flag route first and when that wasn't there he went back to Clay late.

There was no need for him to hold off the safety near Jones by looking left on that play as the Safety was 15 yards away. He could have thrown it to Clay over the middle immediately when he made his break and Clay would have been wide open with no safety in front of him.

I think an experienced QB sees that a LB is on Clay and knows that is the matchup to look for. Hopefully TT will get there.

Edited by Bocephuz

Thank you cover1! Man, your breakdowns are thorough, informative, and as BringBackFergy said, you explain things in layman's terms so everyone can comprehend.

I appreciate your hard work, and please keep the good stuff coming!

I appreciate the kind words, and I apologize I can not post and discuss as often as I would like. But if you want more content, please subscribe http://www.cover1.net/cover-1-newsletter/

Overall I agree with the conclusion that TT did a lot of good things last Sunday.

That being said..I don't think he was looking for Clay first read on that INT. I think he was genuinely looking for Zay Jones on the Flag route first and when that wasn't there he went back to Clay late.

There was no need for him to hold off the safety near Jones by looking left on that play as the Safety was 15 yards away. He could have thrown it to Clay over the middle immediately when he made his break and Clay would have been wide open with no safety in front of him.

I think an experienced QB sees that a LB is on Clay and knows that is the matchup to look for. Hopefully TT will get there.

It is a high low concept and I think he noticed the S/CB combo coverage. Tried holding the S w his eyes, as QBs are taught but sliding left threw the play off.

Edited by cover1

Solid week for TT.

I like how you say Vick who in his one highlight lol he is probably the closest Vick clone since himself

TT is super gifted and is an incredible runner but he still does pale in comparison to Vick as both a runner and thrower. Vick was the fastest player on the field and had one of the most crisp , sharp , overhand deliveries I have ever seen in the game of football

Electric

Solid week for TT.

I like how you say Vick who in his one highlight lol he is probably the closest Vick clone since himself

TT is super gifted and is an incredible runner but he still does pale in comparison to Vick as both a runner and thrower. Vick was the fastest player on the field and had one of the most crisp , sharp , overhand deliveries I have ever seen in the game of football

Electric

For all of Vicks physical attributes, the mental aspect of his game was his downfall. Tyrod is no Brady when it comes to reading defenses and making decisions, but he's better than Vick in that regard.

For all of Vicks physical attributes, the mental aspect of his game was his downfall. Tyrod is no Brady when it comes to reading defenses and making decisions, but he's better than Vick in that regard.

In that regard absolutely.

I believe that TT reads a defense cleaner than vick

It was nice to see the coaches trust TT with his back to the defense on those play-action passes and that answered some of my off-season concerns given TT's lack of experience with that kind of play design. The more comfortable he gets with that, the more we will feast on defenses that have to respect McCoy. Need a running game for play-action to be effective and we certainly have that.

My only quibble here is with the Clay play. Agree a thousand percent that he needs to make a play to help his QB there and you are right not to let him off the hook on that play. But I don't think the pass was "accurate" even though Clay should have made the play. TT struggles with ball placement and until I see more consistency in that regard, I just can't call him an accurate passer. Ball placement is the barometer of accuracy in my book, not just completion percentage. It may seem like a nit-pick, especially on a completed pass, but better ball placement often leads to bigger plays than just a completion.

Thanks again for taking the time to analyze and post your findings. Cover-1 is perhaps the finest vehicle of it's kind for imparting this kind of insight and it's greatly appreciated. And I know for a fact it is respected by a couple of long time league scouts. Thanks again.

I know that this forum loves discussing Tyrod Taylor so I thought that you would enjoy this breakdown. Personally, I thought Tyrod had an solid day. He showed us a few things that we really haven't seen consistently, but he also had a couple throws that were inaccurate. All in all I thought he was alright. You?

http://www.cover1.net/film-room-breakdown-tyrod-taylor-week-1/

If you're looking for game reviews from me here they are:

Defense: http://www.cover1.net/bills-defense-tampa-2-defense-wins/

Offense: http://www.cover1.net/turner-scheme-on-offense-key-to-the-win/

Nice work!

It was nice to see the coaches trust TT with his back to the defense on those play-action passes and that answered some of my off-season concerns given TT's lack of experience with that kind of play design. The more comfortable he gets with that, the more we will feast on defenses that have to respect McCoy. Need a running game for play-action to be effective and we certainly have that.

My only quibble here is with the Clay play. Agree a thousand percent that he needs to make a play to help his QB there and you are right not to let him off the hook on that play. But I don't think the pass was "accurate" even though Clay should have made the play. TT struggles with ball placement and until I see more consistency in that regard, I just can't call him an accurate passer. Ball placement is the barometer of accuracy in my book, not just completion percentage. It may seem like a nit-pick, especially on a completed pass, but better ball placement often leads to bigger plays than just a completion.

Thanks again for taking the time to analyze and post your findings. Cover-1 is perhaps the finest vehicle of it's kind for imparting this kind of insight and it's greatly appreciated. And I know for a fact it is respected by a couple of long time league scouts. Thanks again.

All fair points, I think it's fair to say were are splitting hairs in both directions. Really not that far off :)